Principal Financial-Remote work

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Admittedly, I did not read the article, but those numbers sound realistic if you factor fuel, parking, maintenance costs, etc. I have a 100% WFH job with a very small company (<15 people). I don't mind the idea of getting back to some office time, personally. Our CEO is known for making decisions without consulting anyone on the team and we just have to react. I've heard murmurings that he's looking at office space in Ames. That's a 100-mile commute for me round-trip. At the federal rate of $0.655/mile, it would cost me around $13,000/year. It's $5,000/year in fuel alone. If he goes forward with that, I will have a hard time accepting it.

Return-to-office mandates are a pay cut if they aren't increasing compensation simultaneously.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I watched a news story on NBC a little while back that the city of Minneapolis was pressuring Target Corporate to return to the office to help boost the downtown economy.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Return-to-office mandates are a pay cut if they aren't increasing compensation simultaneously.
That's true, no matter how you look at it. For me, I wouldn't mind it for a small commute; say 30 to 40 miles round trip, and 3 to 4 days a week without much of a pay adjustment. But something that's going to add 2 hours to my work day anytime I go into the office? That's asking a lot.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Fortunately for me, I have a short commute so I don't have a huge travel burden. What gets really tricky/frustrating is when an employee was hired during the pandemic with the agreement between manager and employee that the employee would be remote. If their isn't formal writing in the contract, the employer could void that agreement and both the employee and manager are put in a bad situation (mainly bad for employee).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If I was mandated to go back to an office and I had u limited time off I would definitely be pushing it to the limit.

Problem is it isn't unlimited. Most companies put in the fine print "subject to management discretion". And I have seen management in different departments put limits on the employees of their departments. Pretty BS.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Don't disagree with the reasoning, or the other benefits working from home has. But playing devils advocate here, when people were working from home it was a pay increase. Just be careful using that as a reason to continue working from home.

• Agree
Reactions: Sousaclone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Don't disagree with the reasoning, or the other benefits working from home has. But playing devils advocate here, when people were working from home it was a pay increase. Just be careful using that as a reason to continue working from home.

I'd be pretty pissed if my company gave me a raise and then three years later cut my pay. :)

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
It kind of reminds me of the place in Des Moines that always portrayed itself as fun place to work. "We have a free keg on Friday night" "We order in free pizza". Listen *****, I have no urge to be working at 7pm on a Friday night for free Michelob Ultra. I think this may have been Business Solver but not 100%. I just looked at their Glassdoor and it looks like at least they allow their employees to work from home.
sounds like principal with how they promote their big space to work in and collab in

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

"“There’s no question” working from the office is “wildly more expensive” today than it was pre-pandemic, Frank Weishaupt, CEO of Owl Labs, a company that handles video-conferencing told CNBC."

While I agree with the general idea of it, that study is probably wildly biased.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Nationwide also did away with their surveys.

My company has not yet, despite low-ish scores the past few years.
Put the review you were going to do in-house and put it on Glassdoor or a similar external site.

I'm looking at other opportunities (as are many) and these reviews will help steer potential employees one way or another. There's companies that are worried about these.

I encourage everyone to voice their opinion and stand up for themself regarding working conditions. A company that refuses to acknowledge employee input is a company I don't want to work for or encourage others to work for.

Reactions: MJ29 and cowgirl836

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
"“There’s no question” working from the office is “wildly more expensive” today than it was pre-pandemic, Frank Weishaupt, CEO of Owl Labs, a company that handles video-conferencing told CNBC."

While I agree with the general idea of it, that study is probably wildly biased.
Everything is wildly more expensive than pre-pandemic. Biased or not it's not an inaccurate statement.

Reactions: BCClone

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Yeah. There number seem a little suspicious as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Okay, when WFH first started during Covid there were a lot of complaints that it cost the worker more. I was told I was wrong when I said it would save people money.

Now people are saying that office work is more expensive? I’m confused………

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt