Principal Financial-Remote work

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I just don't believe they actually value the people who work below them. I never see them in our area (even though our building isn't huge), and they do little to show their appreciation for our work. I don't care if the CEO doesn't know my name or face, but it would be nice if I felt like he appreciated the employees. Full disclosure, I liked the former CEO a lot, but it probably helps that I had occasional networking lunches with him, but I also just saw him in the hallways more. And when I did, he at least said hello. The current CEO looks the other way as if he didn't see me. Most people I talk to have had similar experience with the current CEO. The rest of the management team is not much better.

We had a leadership group that seriously considered an express, C-level elevator. Just so they wouldn't have to mix with staff.

They were going to build the mother ******

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I just don't believe they actually value the people who work below them. I never see them in our area (even though our building isn't huge), and they do little to show their appreciation for our work. I don't care if the CEO doesn't know my name or face, but it would be nice if I felt like he appreciated the employees. Full disclosure, I liked the former CEO a lot, but it probably helps that I had occasional networking lunches with him, but I also just saw him in the hallways more. And when I did, he at least said hello. The current CEO looks the other way as if he didn't see me. Most people I talk to have had similar experience with the current CEO. The rest of the management team is not much better.
Our review metrics are down by a drastic margin and I heard a rumor yesterday that upper management is having their metrics "smoothed" so it doesn't look as bad as the lower levels.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I wonder if those top executives just happen to hate a person in your group or team and are taking it out on you individually.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
How are you unable to determine if an employee is productive if you can't see them? What the ****? If someone isn't producing material results you either aren't giving them anything to do and fix that, or they aren't working and you fire them. Seeing them sit in a cube doesn't mean anything

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
How are you unable to determine if an employee is productive if you can't see them? What the ****? If someone isn't producing material results you either aren't giving them anything to do and fix that, or they aren't working and you fire them. Seeing them sit in a cube doesn't mean anything
Exactly. If someone is turning in work and getting stuff done who cares where they do it from.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Take down the cubicle walls and go all in on the open office concept

giphy.gif

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Take down the cubicle walls and go all in on the open office concept

giphy.gif
There is nothing quite like standing up in a bullpen and having 50 sets of eyes on you because you moved. That office had glass-walled conference rooms right outside the bathroom too so if you didn't shake the last drop you had a dozen people get a good look on your way out

Reactions: Bigman38

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I wonder if those top executives just happen to hate a person in your group or team and are taking it out on you individually.

I don't think so. I think they just don't care. They just collect their six figures and don't worry about the people who help get it there. I know that's corporate America, and I won't quit my job because I like it, but I can let upper management know I think they can do better.

Reactions: wxman1

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Probably not.

Which is (or at least can be) part of the problem. The people making the decision on budget, etc. are 5-6 level of hierarchy above the front-line workers, and don't even know what goes on in the department. We are viewed as assets and/or liabilities, nothing more.

My division head I've met once ever, and it was in a silly activity that had nothing to do with the job itself. They probably have no idea who I am.

Work for a big corporation = good benefits (health insurance, pension, 401K, dental, etc). But any "we're a family" lingo is a big joke.

Scavenger hunt?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Scavenger hunt?

Took a job within the company at a new location. They had the most cringe worthy ****. Like having the managers dance and sing.

There was a pie throwing contest where managers were the target.

Don't think I made many friends when I flat out refused to participate. I like fun, but **** throwing a pie in my face.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Took a job within the company at a new location. They had the most cringe worthy ****. Like having the managers dance and sing.

Don't think I made many friends when I flat out refused to participate. I like fun, but **** throwing a pie in my face.

Sounds obnoxious and unnecessary.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Some places just try way to hard

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and MJ29

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Probably not.

Which is (or at least can be) part of the problem. The people making the decision on budget, etc. are 5-6 level of hierarchy above the front-line workers, and don't even know what goes on in the department. We are viewed as assets and/or liabilities, nothing more.

My division head I've met once ever, and it was in a silly activity that had nothing to do with the job itself. They probably have no idea who I am.

Work for a big corporation = good benefits (health insurance, pension, 401K, dental, etc). But any "we're a family" lingo is a big joke.
I worked for a small company for a short period of time and hated it. I’m convinced the best options are own your own company or work for a large corporation.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored