Prediction for USC/UCLA postmortem.

Which scenario do you predict is most likely? (Not necessarily what you prefer).

• BIG 10 is done (for now). The Big 12 poaches its pick of the PAC 12.

• BIG 10 grabs few more PAC 12 (i.e. Oregon). The Big 12 takes PAC 12 leftovers.

• The PAC 12 raids the Big 12 to survive. Iowa State is not one of them.

• The PAC 12 raids the Big 12 to survive. Iowa State is one of them.

• The PAC 12 survives like the Big 12 did last year by picking up schools like Fresno.

• The Big 12 is raided by multiple conferences. Iowa State is AAC or Conference USA bound.

• The Big 12 is raided by multiple conference. Iowa State ends up in a better conference.

• The ACC and the PAC 12 implode due to BIG and SEC. The Big 12 raids PAC 12 and the ACC.

• The Big 12 and PAC 12 merge.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Could someone explain what CO adds in value other than a nice trip to an away game. Stadium isn't much better than KU.

BigDH01

Oct 17, 2011
I may be wrong, but I don't think a two-conference playoff would draw that many viewers. Why should fans of other conferences care? If I want pro-football, I'll just watch the NFL. They're creating semi-pro leagues that have nothing to do with college football.
I feel you. I think that paying the players is the fair and right thing to do but I also think the money is killing the things that made me love the sport. ASU playing UCF for a big 12 championship? I just won't care.

I loved CFB but unfortunately it was our love and willingness to watch and pay top dollar that will ruin the sport.

Reactions: GoldCy

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I feel you. I think that paying the players is the fair and right thing to do but I also think the money is killing the things that made me love the sport. ASU playing UCF for a big 12 championship? I just won't care.

I loved CFB but unfortunately it was our love and willingness to watch and pay top dollar that will ruin the sport.
I think I will be interested in them because they will be in Iowa State’s conference. I won’t care about the others because it does impact Iowa State.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Not to be a Debbie Downer but the Big 12 has been kicked too many times so I am skeptical to see it work out for us like it appears.

I have poked my head around the Pac 12 leftovers forums. They pretty much all believe the Big 12 is beneath them and want no part it. Only Colorado has had some positive posters.

A lot of them are thinking their tv deal w/o UCLA and USC will be about the same as the Big 12 or better.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Could someone explain what CO adds in value other than a nice trip to an away game. Stadium isn't much better than KU.
I’ll leave the in-depth analysis to the experts, but I would think CO would be near the top in semi-available schools. Nobody’s leaving the Big 10 or SEC. The ACC is off the table for the next ~10 years or so at a minimum. ND isn’t even worth mentioning for the Big 12. The G5 is pretty tapped out for anybody that could at a minimum add enough value to justify their cut of conference money.

If I had to put schools that might be switching conferences into tiers:
  • Washington, Oregon, Stanford
  • Arizona, Arizona State, Utah
  • Colorado, Cal
  • Washington St, Oregon St
  • G5 teams like Memphis, Colorado St…
I think the Big 10 is going to take, at least 2 and up to 4 of the PAC teams. Anyone from the PAC on that list would likely strongly prefer the Big 10 due to academics, historical ties between the PAC and Big 10, and other conference teams in the same region. For that reason, I don’t see WA, OR and absolutely not Stanford going to the SEC. I’m not sure any of the remaining would bring in enough to join the SEC.

BigDH01

Oct 17, 2011
Still think guys want playing time and HS recruiting is too inexact for a P2 to monopolize most of the future NFL players. We could see transfer ups/downs between a P2 & remaining schools.

It's easy to view realignment as the seismic shift occurring in college sport. But it could just be a distraction (or maybe preparation by people with more vision than me) for the potential earthquakes on the horizon.

Those earthquakes being:
- Pay for play.
- Employment Status.
- Unionization/Collective Bargaining.
- Revised Title IX. Compliance based on spending vs opportunity.
- Federal Government Intervention (anti-trust)
Re those last bits. After those drop, the next hurdle will be academics. If a star athlete is making 7 figures does it really make sense to force them to go to sociology 101? Once this becomes a minor league (if it's not already) then how do football programs progress the mission of the university? The only relationship will be marketing and money.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Are you young?

I felt the same about any non-Big 8 school in the Big 12 back in the day.

Give it a few years, and the caring rapidly increases.

If anything it will be easier, because the Big 12 will be a band of underdogs against P2, and conference pride will be easier to come by imo

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I’ll leave the in-depth analysis to the experts, but I would think CO would be near the top in semi-available schools. Nobody’s leaving the Big 10 or SEC. The ACC is off the table for the next ~10 years or so at a minimum. ND isn’t even worth mentioning for the Big 12. The G5 is pretty tapped out for anybody that could at a minimum add enough value to justify their cut of conference money.

If I had to put schools that might be switching conferences into tiers:
  • Washington, Oregon, Stanford
  • Arizona, Arizona State, Utah
  • Colorado, Cal
  • Washington St, Oregon St
  • G5 teams like Memphis, Colorado St…
I think the Big 10 is going to take, at least 2 and up to 4 of the PAC teams. Anyone from the PAC on that list would likely strongly prefer the Big 10 due to academics, historical ties between the PAC and Big 10, and other conference teams in the same region. For that reason, I don’t see WA, OR and absolutely not Stanford going to the SEC. I’m not sure any of the remaining would bring in enough to join the SEC.

The ACC is absolutely in play. In particular if ND joins the BIG, which would end the delusion in the ACC that they are ND's conference of choice.

And if ND doesn't go to the BIG, there is a decent chance it is because the SEC/ESPN have the votes needed to move the ACC around.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
To get the denver market, you have to get the Broncos to come down to the big 12. To get a former team back, they won't work so you would have to go with Colorado U then.
Boulder is in the Denver TV market.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Hate to say it, but the Big 12 is officially a second tier conference. My guess is the Big 16 eventually adds ND, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, UNC and two other schools to get to 24. SEC does the same and poaches Clemson, Miami, FSU, TCU, OSU, and others.

They will develop some sort of playoff system that they control. We will be lucky to get one automatic qualifying spot.

Enjoy the next two season because college football (as we know it) is dead in 2024.
I don’t see the monetary appeal for either conference to get that big. Incoming members have to bring in more than the average, and few schools are worth $100m plus.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

It’s not the players getting paid that is ruining the sport. It’s the lack of leadership with clear goals to build college football value.

The goals of leaders in the sport (conf commissioners, school presidents, administrators) is to maximize their conference and school value. TV companies are taking advantage of this fact and are consolidating the top brands. Why? They want more games between the top brands and they don’t want to pay 65 schools they only want to pay 32 schools.

If there was a leader over college athletics that was trying to set rules to maximize value and competition in college football, they could easily set salary caps, contracts for coaches and players, and define regional conferences that maximize fan value. Players would be paid a percentage of the revenues.

Issue is not paying players, it’s lack of leadership.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Not to be a Debbie Downer but the Big 12 has been kicked too many times so I am skeptical to see it work out for us like it appears.

I have poked my head around the Pac 12 leftovers forums. They pretty much all believe the Big 12 is beneath them and want no part it. Only Colorado has had some positive posters.

A lot of them are thinking their tv deal w/o UCLA and USC will be about the same as the Big 12 or better.
I have no doubt many of them absolutely do feel that way.

If the 10 stick together, they could make a go of it either as-is. They’re media rights will likely be well behind the Big 12 and maybe the ACC.

I don’t expect WA and OR to stay, at a minimum. The question is, do the remaining 6 or 8 hold the Big 12 in higher regard than they do Boise St, Fresno St, San Diego St, etc?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
It’s not the players getting paid that is ruining the sport. It’s the lack of leadership with clear goals to build college football value.

The goals of leaders in the sport (conf commissioners, school presidents, administrators) is to maximize their conference and school value. TV companies are taking advantage of this fact and are consolidating the top brands. Why? They want more games between the top brands and they don’t want to pay 65 schools they only want to pay 32 schools.

If there was a leader over college athletics that was trying to set rules to maximize value and competition in college football, they could easily set salary caps, contracts for coaches and players, and define regional conferences that maximize fan value. Players would be paid a percentage of the revenues.

Issue is not paying players, it’s lack of leadership.
Exactly, that’s the biggest difference between the NFL and college football. Everyone’s looking out for their own little empire and nobody’s looking out for the totality of the empires.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
TCU and WV.
Interesting cases. TCU benefitted in a roundabout way because they were originally demoted when SWC collapsed and then clawed their way back. West Virginia was a much stronger brand in the Big East. The Big 12 saved them from Armageddon, but if no conference realignment happens WV is probably better off.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The biggest winners of conference realignment are the existing members of the SEC and Big Ten, at least for now. Everyone else has had to sacrifice something. They sit back and rake in money in prestige that has helped their overall product and university image. Think South Carolina and Purdue as well as the blue bloods.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron