Positive of Royce going pro

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Short term...a hit. Long term...very positive for ISU. This is a good thing. We'll still be very good next year and the future is still extremly bright.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I hate this. I hate this for Royce, I hate this for Iowa State. He is not ready for the NBA. Every time Iowa State is about to get over the hump and really do something special this happens. whether it is somebody leaving for NBA, or somebody leaving the program, or the one great recruit not coming here, or a missed field goal, or a terrible call at the goal line. every time. It is getting really old. I just wish we could get some talent that actually wants to stay long enough, or come to Iowa State to turn us into a powerhouse. I feel like we have been so close before. I think that is why Royce is not one of the greatest cylclones of all time. I just don't think leading a team to the round of 32 puts you in that conversation. He has the opportunity to be a legend, but would rather be a maybe first round draft choice. I don't get it. a million dollars today, or multimillion dollars and legend status in multiple states, where you could get any job you wanted to after basketball. I would choose the 2nd option. But I actually care about Iowa State and the state of Iowa, so maybe that is where I differ.

Oh good grief.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
His job is to win games and championships. It is not to put 4 or 5 star players in the NBA.

Correct-his job is to win games and championships.
Incorrect-It is not to put 4 or 5 star players in the NBA. On the contrary, his job also is to help these young men prepare for the next step in their life-whether that be entering the work force, playing professinally or remaining in school after their eligibility ends to help them achieve their degree.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I hate this. I hate this for Royce, I hate this for Iowa State. He is not ready for the NBA. Every time Iowa State is about to get over the hump and really do something special this happens. whether it is somebody leaving for NBA, or somebody leaving the program, or the one great recruit not coming here, or a missed field goal, or a terrible call at the goal line. every time. It is getting really old. I just wish we could get some talent that actually wants to stay long enough, or come to Iowa State to turn us into a powerhouse. I feel like we have been so close before. I think that is why Royce is not one of the greatest cylclones of all time. I just don't think leading a team to the round of 32 puts you in that conversation. He has the opportunity to be a legend, but would rather be a maybe first round draft choice. I don't get it. a million dollars today, or multimillion dollars and legend status in multiple states, where you could get any job you wanted to after basketball. I would choose the 2nd option. But I actually care about Iowa State and the state of Iowa, so maybe that is where I differ.
Royce leaving isn't going to prevent our team from doing bigger and better things next year.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Royce will help SELL the program to recruits and the public.

I hadn't really thought of his impact for us in the future...but that is a good point. Any time you have former players/coaches say they LOVED it in Ames (Hoiberg, Johnny, Dedric, White) it will resonate to the current players.
Dedric is credited with giving the speech that turned this team around this year. Royce will be giving speeches to future teams...right before the Final 4.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think FH is th reason Royce will get drafted, thats all on Royce. What having Royce here does do is give FH (and ISU) some street cred with high school kids. Getting into the tourney, playing 2 traditional powerhouses and having Royce get some of the limelight helped get ISU's name out there. Fred is still new to the NCAA bball scene, kids that are seniors this year have been on AAU and camp circuts for years now so to guys that like Fred and ISU are kind of late to the game but exposure like this for the program will help market Fred and ISU to future recruits.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008

Anytime you recieve "+1000000000 " from Clones21, you should step back and realize how terrible that post was.

Reactions: Cydkar

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

This is why players don't let fans make decisions for them.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Relax, it's the dawn of a new era.

One top 20 high school player leaves, two come in to take his place.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
There are very few positives of losing one of the greatest Cyclones ever.

However, one thing I can see looking great for Hoiberg is that his calling card as our coach was going to be putting guys in the NBA. Fred's connections to the NBA and high level of recruiting can now be tied together a little closer, vs being just speculation on what he can do.

It really sucks that Royce is going pro, bigtime. But this can only help Fred regarding other future recruits.

Ding

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron