Pollard question

Do you support Pollard?

• Total voters

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Promised? Do you understand the details of a promise? He laid out plans, never once made a promise. Maybe you should put some money where your mouth is and I'm sure he'll be more than glad to continue with renovations.

Nearly everyone thought Chizik was a great hire. McCarney's last team struggled and his lack of recruiting linemen we're still paying for.

He fired a basketball coach who had more issues behind the scenes than I care to or will discuss here. There is also a reason said coach is not coaching anywhere currently. Good recruiter, brutal coach (sounds like Chizik come to think of it).

Funny, Cael said Iowa State is lucky to have Jamie around...

Again, put some money where your mouth is and I'm sure Jamie would be more than happy to re-instate baseballl.

You could care less? That implies you care...

Am I happy with where we are? No, not at all. However, Jamie has still busted his *** to try and put us in positions to succeed. He's given more to Iowa State athletics than most if not all on this board will ever even get remotely close to giving.

First of all, cut the "put your money where your mouth is" comments because you do not know the state of my financial contributions to Iowa State nor are you in any position to judge them.

Second of all, your entire argument is based off the fact that he DID make some bad mistakes, but that we should forgive them. In that case, you contradict yourself with the reason for firing McCarney.

In any position of power, if a person made this many mistakes in such a short amount of time, they would be gone. I think its time that we as a fan base ask more for Iowa State as a whole and replace this man of empty promises and bad decisions.

If we are not in any position to judge you, then who in the h*** do you think you are for ripping Pollard on a message board?

Get a life!

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
First of all, cut the "put your money where your mouth is" comments because you do not know the state of my financial contributions to Iowa State nor are you in any position to judge them.

Second of all, your entire argument is based off the fact that he DID make some bad mistakes, but that we should forgive them. In that case, you contradict yourself with the reason for firing McCarney.

In any position of power, if a person made this many mistakes in such a short amount of time, they would be gone. I think its time that we as a fan base ask more for Iowa State as a whole and replace this man of empty promises and bad decisions.

Wow...just wow. Way to completely disregard another posters perfect responses to your jabs by trying to divert. Oh...guess I just described a troll.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Until the fans get mad and make somebody responsible for our horrible teams, we won't get anywhere. Like any good business, these things start at the top. Keep calling Chizik names and giving excuses why Cael left, but what it all boils down to is Pollard has failed so far as an AD.
It seems everyone has a loser's mentality to make excuses for losing instead of doing what it takes to win.

Excuses why Cael left? Ok, we don't take Jamie's word, we don't take Cael's word, what fantasy world are some people living in where you make **** up and try and pass it off?

How can some of you believe the crap you type like there's a universal conspiracy against Iowa State? Some people need to nut up and realize change doesn't come overnight. I wish just like anyone that we could wake up tomorrow to an 8-4 football team and a 27-8 basketball team but neither of those are realistic. The groundwork is laid. The pieces are falling into place. This season in basketball will tell a lot, and this season in football will tell a lot.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Wow. I asked a simple question, yet received 3 personal attacks and no answers, so I will tell you what he has done for ISU.

He has promised a renovated stadium, only of which approximately 10% has been completed, the rest with no estimated date of completion.

How do you get that figure. The west side was redone last year with new suites. The East side is getting done this year with a new
enterance. There is also a new fence going up. Sure the endzone isnt bowled in yet but there has been a lot of cash raised to do these 2 projects. He also had to get plans in place for updating JTS and Hilton since the former AD had no vision and his idea of raising money was saving it and spending less.

He fired arguably one of the greatest coaches in history, to hire one of the worst, whom would jump ship after 2 years.
Yes most were tierd to see Dan go but in your 12th year you are 3 plays from going 0-12 a change needed to be made. The recuriting pipeline was drying up and he didnt build on his good years. He had a chance to put ISU on the top of the North but newer coaches past our program by. As for Chizik, he was a top asst coach in the country, coaches like that do get good jobs. He had the resume. How was JP to know the guy didnt know how to manage a team on game day.

He fired an above .500 basketball coach to hire one that has yet to have a season above .500.
He fired a coach that was getting ISU bad press. Before Mac was losing players Morgan was. Morgan left a mess that Mac had to clean up.

He lost an Iowa State coach who graduated from here to an out-of-state school... in wrestling!
This was all about Cael, and not ISU.

Baseball is still gone.
Do you just think you start up a baseball program over night, when you have other things that need money first.
Continue to worship Jamie Pollard, I could care less; He will run this program into the ground
If the programs dont win at ISU and JP is gone soon he will leave the facalities in better shape than he found them and all the next AD will have to do is find the right coaches.

Well put!!

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Excuses why Cael left? Ok, we don't take Jamie's word, we don't take Cael's word, what fantasy world are some people living in where you make **** up and try and pass it off?

How can some of you believe the crap you type like there's a universal conspiracy against Iowa State? Some people need to nut up and realize change doesn't come overnight. I wish just like anyone that we could wake up tomorrow to an 8-4 football team and a 27-8 basketball team but neither of those are realistic. The groundwork is laid. The pieces are falling into place. This season in basketball will tell a lot, and this season in football will tell a lot.

I'm sure you said that last year and the year before that and the year before that...I think even you get where I'm going with that.
We always talk about next year and how me might be good. And I didn't ask for success over night, but I also wouldn't like to regress in every major sport either.
People like you are the reason that we will never win.

sinbad

Feb 10, 2009
Well, I know enough to know that you aren't contributing enough to get your dreams done. Guess what, if you want to ***** about those things, put the money where your mouth is and change 'em!
You know NOTHING of my financial contributions.

Bad mistakes? Hiring Chizik wasn't a mistake. Hiring McDermott wasn't a mistake. Both were hot hires at the time. He's made such a horrible mistake to put butts in the seats at football games. I'm very glad you aren't my boss. "Oh yeah, at the time, that looked like a great move, but it didn't work out now that I look back a couple years later. You're fired."
Just because they were "hot" hires does not mean they were good ones. As a fan, I expect our athletic director to make well-informed decisions. Obviously, if he fails to make these good decisions, he should be fired: that is the way things work in real life. It is rare that people make decisions that were not good at the time.

Empty promises require making promises. Has he made some questionable decisions? Yes. Have they all panned out? No. Has he busted his *** to try and put us in a position to succeed? Damn right. I'm fairly sure from interacting with him that he isn't sitting in his living room right now on his BlackBerry wondering "hmmmm what can I do tomorrow to ruin Iowa State athletics?"
I will admit that Pollard deserves probably another 2 years at most to see if his actions pan out. That would give him 6 years, which is plenty of time to boost a decently stable athletic program. If by that time, we have seen nothing but upgraded facilities, it is time to downgrade Mr. Pollard to head of our marketing department.

It doesn't take a genius to say "hey, or facilities are ******, lets ask the fans for a poo load of money and upgrade them." What we need is somebody that KNOWS sports, and KNOWS leadership, and can hire the right guys to get things done.

sinbad

Feb 10, 2009
If we are not in any position to judge you, then who in the h*** do you think you are for ripping Pollard on a message board?

Get a life!
Anybody who puts themself in a position of authority is accepting any judgement they will receive from the people who follow them. It is different when a person comes on here and tells me that I am not contributing enough money, especially when they do not know how much I am contributing.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Wow. I asked a simple question, yet received 3 personal attacks and no answers, so I will tell you what he has done for ISU.

He has promised a renovated stadium, only of which approximately 10% has been completed, the rest with no estimated date of completion.

He fired arguably one of the greatest coaches in history, to hire one of the worst, whom would jump ship after 2 years.

He fired an above .500 basketball coach to hire one that has yet to have a season above .500.

He lost an Iowa State coach who graduated from here to an out-of-state school... in wrestling!

Baseball is still gone.

Continue to worship Jamie Pollard, I could care less; He will run this program into the ground.

First off, I'd disagree with the "10%" of the stadium comment. By this fall, JT will be a lot closer to 40%. We're talking $30M+ in stadium renovations done. The south endzone is all that is left of the remaining plans. Yeah, I know that it is the largest portion. So what? The first two phases were necessary in that the suites and club are revenue generating and ammenities (restrooms/concessions) needed to be upgraded to keep our current ticket buyers happy. The south endzone is on the drawing board, but JP never "promised" it...he said he'd do it when the donations were there. Clearly they aren't yet. JP was also instrumental in getting the academic center done and the BB practice facility built.

As for the coaches, at the times the changes were made, you'd be hard pressed to find many fans who didn't think that they needed to be made. And you'd also find that most were pretty happy with the choices at that time. Cael is a different animal than the FB/BB changes, but I have a hard time believing that JP had anything to do with that one. He supported wrestling big time and basically gave Cael the job (ushering Bobby D. out) even though he didn't have the credentials to deserve it.

I only have a couple of disagreements with JP's many decisions. First, I disagree with GMac's contract situation. There's no way he should have had any roll-overs for minor situations like Hubalik's suspension, etc. He should have a 4-5 year contract and that's it. Not 8. GMac should have had this year to turn it around or he's out. Second, I disagree with the thought of extending Chizik after last year (before Chizik bolted). I really like the talent that Chizik was bringing in, but his gameday coaching was horrid. I don't think that he deserved an extension. Third, I disagree with disbanding the local Cyclone Clubs. ISU needs all the grassroots support it can get. I don't care if the coaches aren't stopping to visit them all every summer, let the groups continue to meet and do some good. Other than those three, I agree with everything that JP has done and am behind him 100%.

Reactions: cyco2000

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
When Pollard leaves ISU he will go to far greener pastures somewhere else who is just waiting for someone like him to get fed up with the fan base and call it a day.

sinbad

Feb 10, 2009
When Pollard leaves ISU he will go to far greener pastures somewhere else who is just waiting for someone like him to get fed up with the fan base and call it a day.
Should fit in perfectly at a advertising company, specializing in billboards. :wideeyed:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Anybody who puts themself in a position of authority is accepting any judgement they will receive from the people who follow them. It is different when a person comes on here and tells me that I am not contributing enough money, especially when they do not know how much I am contributing.

If you want to ***** the stadium isn't getting down, shut up and give Jamie $60,000,000 reasons to get it done. He never once made a promise. He put plans out, and slowly but surely, they're getting done.

If you're going to whine about the baseball programs, give him a few million more reasons to re-start it.

I think I'm just going to start complaining that Jamie hasn't put a retractable roof on the Jack and the parking lots. What the hell Jamie? Maybe I'll e-mail him tomorrow and ask why he hasn't. It's absolutely outrageous that it isn't done yet.

sinbad

Feb 10, 2009
If you want to ***** the stadium isn't getting down, shut up and give Jamie $60,000,000 reasons to get it done. He never once made a promise. He put plans out, and slowly but surely, they're getting done.

If you're going to whine about the baseball programs, give him a few million more reasons to re-start it.

I think I'm just going to start complaining that Jamie hasn't put a retractable roof on the Jack and the parking lots. What the hell Jamie? Maybe I'll e-mail him tomorrow and ask why he hasn't. It's absolutely outrageous that it isn't done yet.
It is NOT my job to get baseball back. It is his; hence the title athletic director. Obviously it is not a necessity, but one of those things that seperates many great athletic programs from mediocre ones. It makes a little more sense than a retractable roof I would say...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I only have a couple of disagreements with JP's many decisions. First, I disagree with GMac's contract situation. There's no way he should have had any roll-overs for minor situations like Hubalik's suspension, etc. He should have a 4-5 year contract and that's it. Not 8. GMac should have had this year to turn it around or he's out. Second, I disagree with the thought of extending Chizik after last year (before Chizik bolted). I really like the talent that Chizik was bringing in, but his gameday coaching was horrid. I don't think that he deserved an extension. Third, I disagree with disbanding the local Cyclone Clubs. ISU needs all the grassroots support it can get. I don't care if the coaches aren't stopping to visit them all every summer, let the groups continue to meet and do some good. Other than those three, I agree with everything that JP has done and am behind him 100%.
This I mostly agree with. However, given the situation we had, GMac should have been given 5 and MAYBE 6 years. I don't think some of you realize how close we were to getting the hammer from the NCAA. Our APR is on the rise and we're still below the threshhold. That says a lot. Chizik shouldn't have gotten an extension, but I'd like to have seen the actual contract, specifically the buyout. Locking up a coach isn't necessarily a bad thing to pitch to recruits as long as you can fire the coach without outrageous financial implications.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
It is NOT my job to get baseball back. It is his; hence the title athletic director. Obviously it is not a necessity, but one of those things that seperates many great athletic programs from mediocre ones. It makes a little more sense than a retractable roof I would say...

The thing that seperates great AD's is $$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it.:yes:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Re-instate a program that lost money...yep...makes tons of sense. We already have a bunch of programs that lose money. A bunch. I don't know how the rest of the country is, but I'll bet there aren't a whole ton of baseball programs turning a huge profit for their respective athletics departments.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

No, it's not his job to bring baseball back, nor is it his job to win games. His job is to make money for the athletic department - something he is doing exceedingly well. Now, losing may dramatically impact the way the athletic department can raise money (it's not mutually exclusive), but it's not his job to win games. I think there's a great misconception as to what JP's job actually is. But the bottom line is his job is to bring in the cash - something he is doing very well.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

At last check ISU athletics didnt have piles of cash just laying around. Even if the teams were winning and the stadium was packed we would still have to watch every dollar spent closely. It takes years of winning to get the dollars to just roll in. Did you ever attend a Baseball game when ISU had Baseball? Did you ever donate to the baseball team?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

That goes right back to the FB argument then. Would you rather have a baseball program, or better funding for FB and MBB (that actual MAKE money)? JP didn't cut baseball. Personally I'd rather see more money pumped into FB and MBB than field a baseball team. But maybe the 20 people who attended games at Cap Timm disagree.