Pollard question

Do you support Pollard?

• Total voters

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I was as big a critic of BVD as anyone - painfully poor with people, and I also believe we had such a hard time hiring a basketball coach post-LE because the candidates interviewed came away just "creeped-out" by him.
That being said, I am so sick of people saying that he could have "handled" LE better. By doing what? LE lied to him about the pics when first confronted, and if BVD had fired or suspended him prior to the media firestorm, all hell would have broken loose with fans. We would have demanded evidence, which the DM Register ultimately gave us.

IMO, BVD was essentially complicit in LE's "lie" about the photos. Obviously he had to have seen them - and any high schooler could tell you that they weren't taken in a bar - which I believe was LE's excuse. Most of us thought they were doctored, but nobody believed they were in a bar - nor were they offered by the taker as being taken in a bar.

He wanted it to go away as much as anyone and just went with that story.

That whole cluster is what started the downfall and the fiasco of the coaching search is what ensued. He's as much to blame for what happened as anyone. Once they got exposed, he should've just disciplined LE and let that be that.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Nobody said JP should have bashed Chiz, but he shouldn't have been defending and praising him either after all the horrible football coaching we saw last fall, and he certainly shouldn't have offered him a two year extension, which said more than anything.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Nobody said JP should have bashed Chiz, but he shouldn't have been defending and praising him either after all the horrible football coaching we saw last fall, and he certainly shouldn't have offered him a two year extension, which said more than anything.
Nor did I say you said that.
I completely disagree. In today's college football, if you are not publicly praising your head coach, you might as well be bashing him. Heck, most coaches that are fired, were publicly supported by the AD a few weeks/months before. You have to give the impression that there will be an extension, maintaining status-quot is a vote of no confidence, and if you are going to do that, you might as well fire the guy. I understand being upset with the W-L's, but the ignorance being shown in criticizing on what JP "should" have done as an AD really destroys any credibility on the manner.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Hey there, BVDV - is it such a slow day down there at LA Tech that you have to be checking out your former employer's fan site?

So he must be BVDV or a BVDV apologist or whater you want to label him, because he points out a simple fact? Weird.

Reactions: jdoggivjc

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Makes a lot more sense. Yes, you're right - a coach is ultimately judged by what his teams do on the field (thus why 2.5 years later we all think he's a horrible coach). I'm just saying that it wasn't necessarily so unreasonable for us to think that the guy was a great hire at the time based on his his resume - a resume that was at least parallel if not better than Bob Stoops when he took over the reins at Oklahoma. The guy was a DC at Iowa, K-State, and Florida (winning 1 NC as DC there) before he completely turned Oklahoma around - and he did it without a lick of head coaching experience. History will look kindly at Stoops because of his successes as a head coach, but that's not the point - my point is it's not necessarily unreasonable to think someone is a good hire when he doesn't have any head coaching experience in his background.

Yeah, I think we are comparing things using two different formulas in our own heads, hence the confusion.

Chizik's hire really does remind me of Iowa hiring Steve Alford. Most Iowa fans liked it at the time (I never understood why, Tom Davis was a helluva coach) but in the end it was definitely a bad hire for them.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Yeah, I think we are comparing things using two different formulas in our own heads, hence the confusion.

Chizik's hire really does remind me of Iowa hiring Steve Alford. Most Iowa fans liked it at the time (I never understood why, Tom Davis was a helluva coach) but in the end it was definitely a bad hire for them.

Great point, good thing Bowlsby had to settle for the Stanford job. No one wanted him.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Probably true...Some have no idea what is involved, but find the need to *****. We all have our own way of handling a situation that NOBODY is happy with.

Yep, and some believe that intelligent conversation and objectively discussing a situation = ********. Personally I think it is stupid to simplify and dumb everything down in that way, but to each his own. Everyone is not a Pollard lover or hater. Its not a "Your with us or your against us" situation here.

Hopefully we have reached rock bottom and are on the way back up, that is certainly my opinion, as I think we will see much better football and basketball teams next year.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Great point, good thing Bowlsby had to settle for the Stanford job. No one wanted him.

And what do Iowa fans get out of that? The hire still completely ruined Iowa's once-proud basketball program for the past decade.

Who gives a damn what Bowlsby went on to do after that, it was still a bad hire for the Iowa basketball program and its fans. Which of course, was the point, that you managed to somehow miss.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
And what do Iowa fans get out of that? The hire still completely ruined Iowa's once-proud basketball program for the past decade.

Who gives a damn what Bowlsby went on to do after that, it was still a bad hire for the Iowa basketball program and its fans. Which of course, was the point, that you managed to somehow miss.
Yeah, it's not like Alford didn't take them to the Big 10 Championship or the NCAA Tournament. :jimlad:

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

Has the people you have hired always panned out? Or maybe you don't have any experience in this.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Has the people you have hired always panned out? Or maybe you don't have any experience in this.

Of course not, but if I made several bad hires in a row, than my boss probably would be very upset with me.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
swarthmoreCy- I was upset about more than the record, it was the confusion on the sidelines, the crazy calls like the last play in the Colorado game, and the way the defense circled the drain as the year went on. If you could go back a couple of years on this board you'd see I did not like the Chiz hire, mostly because it reminded me too much of the Donnie Duncan hire, plus Chiz was a co-defensive coordinator (maybe Brown didn't trust him to handle the defense alone). If I was ignorant about criticizing JP for hiring Chiz, it goes back a couple of years. But I don't know how anybody can understand the logic in offering him two more years after what we saw this year. We would have ended up with a GMac situation where we are stuck with the coach for years to come no matter how he does.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I just responded but chose the wrong dang option. I'm 29 but chose over 30. Close enough, I guess.