Pollard question

Do you support Pollard?

• Total voters

jenclone

Apr 30, 2009
I mostly just read CycloneFanatic, but I have a question reading some of the replies about JP.

So I am setting up a poll to get an idea. Wondering the support of JP based on age.

p.s. I love me some Pollard.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Might get more responses if you make it a private poll.

EDIT -- Or...you might get a ton of responses just the way it is. Bad call on my part, I guess.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's a little too black/white for me. I like some of the decisions he's made and I don't like some of the others he's made. I'm still in wait-and-see mode.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I've been sliding to disliking him. Love what he has done for fund raising and facilities.
But wins in the major sports has gotten even worse than it was before - which just isn't good.

I think he can get things going, I'm just getting tired of waiting.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
What's age have to do with anything?

If you're older than 30 you know that ISU has been through worse and better times.

Younger than 30 you remember some of ISU best times when we thought we may actually be worth something in the NCAA.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I voted "don't like, under 30" but it's not like I wish the guy ill-will. I do support him, I just don't have much faith at this point.

Reactions: ISUKyro

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
From a marketing and fundraising standpoint, JP has been the best AD ISU has ever had. Unfortunately, when you look at the biggest decisions JP has made, they haven't turned out very well.

-Mac to Chizik to Rhoads: We all have a soft spot for Mac and we will never forget what he did for this program, but a change did need to be made. I still think Chizik was a phenomenal hire, but none of us could have predicted his ineptitude on the sidelines and his quick departure after only two years. I really like everything I've seen out of PR so far. Great coordinator hires, positive attitude and decent recruiting. We'll find out more this fall.

-Replacing Morgan with McDermott: For every star that Morgan brought to this program, he also brought 3 knuckleheads. He probably was let go too soon, but JP saw the chance to get McD, who was one of the hottest coaches in the nation and he took. McD's tenure has been marked by bizarre defections and patchwork recruiting as a result. I do think he is finally figuring out what it takes to succeed at this level, but once again, this coming season will tell us what we need to know.

-Cael: I really don't know how much of this ties into JP. Cael said this was strickly about money and "a better opportunity", but that's a very hard thing for me to buy. I do like Jackson though.

I still think JP has made the right hires, but they've not panned out well. I like who we have now, but I think I speak for most ISU fans when I say, we all expect results in FB, MBB and wrestling in '09-'10.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I think the options should have been worded the same to get a better idea of opinions. Either use "I support" or "I don't support" OR "I like" or "I don't like" Don't mix up two different things.

A person can like someone but not support what that person does. And vice versa.

And like someone else already said, for some it's not nearly so black and white. But that's okay. We don't have the authority to hire and fire ADs, and most of us won't ever be asked our opinions by those who have the authority.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I'm just sick of being the lauging stock of the Big 12. No one gives a damn how good our girls volleyball team is, or how phenominal our new fundraising is. People care about football and basketball and in Iowa wrestling. We are a JOKE in the first two, and we just lost the greatest wrestler of all time and Pollard just let him walk out the door. If the guy is such a great fundraiser, give him a job where he can only do that, because as far as on the court/field success, HE IS HORRIBLE.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
I'm just sick of being the lauging stock of the Big 12. No one gives a damn how good our girls volleyball team is, or how phenominal our new fundraising is. People care about football and basketball and in Iowa wrestling. We are a JOKE in the first two, and we just lost the greatest wrestler of all time and Pollard just let him walk out the door. If the guy is such a great fundraiser, give him a job where he can only do that, because as far as on the court/field success, HE IS HORRIBLE.

He didnt exactly just let him walk out the door. Sanderson himself said ISU is lucky to have Jamie Pollard. Take it for what its worth. I dont like him leaving anymore than the next guy. Pollard was at a pile of ISU wrestling events and him and Cael appeared to get along extremely well. At the Big 12s they were chatting it up often. No ones happy about him leaving but this one isnt on Pollard. Sometimes money talks and we will never have been able to poney up the money that PSU was throwing at him. Plus honestly you dont have to compete head to head with Iowa in recruiting. Obviously him never beating IOWA as a coach was starting wear on him. You could see the frustration at Nationals. I am rambling now, my general point is Pollard may have made some poor decisions thats up for debate but the Sanderson leaving thing shouldnt be on the list.