Pollard Details Recommended Cuts

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Actually, you don't know s***. The reason we won't have fans at the game is because you and your likeminded buddies pressured Dr Wendy into caving. It's really not all that complicated.
First - this is ridiculous.
Second - lets assume it is true. The only reason we were able to “pressure” Dr Wendy is because you and your likeminded friends gave us all the needed data through your irresponsible actions to convince her.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
One more and it will be every post before and moving forward.

I tried to squash it and told you I would stop. I can do this for years.
You replied to and quoted my "Ouch..." post but I think you meant the above post for someone else, it wasn't me that you were going back and forth with!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Macloney

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Interesting. Today’s announcement seems to be a goodly portion of Jamie saying, “Here, see what happens when you pressure us not to let fans attend games?”

The pushback from the Ames community that fine arts events should not only still be subsidized but attendance allowed at those events (but not football) seems silly when you put the two together.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Interesting. Today’s announcement seems to be a goodly portion of Jamie saying, “Here, see what happens when you pressure us not to let fans attend games?”

The pushback from the Ames community that fine arts events should not only still be subsidized but attendance allowed at those events (but not football) seems silly when you put the two together.
A. Not sure where you’re reading the pushback from the Ames Community, so please share.
B. Good job of making assumptions of what an entire community Is saying and meaning with whatever their comments are. Especially because the little I’ve seen doesn’t speak to having events that appear to be on the cancel now list, rather it addresses what people said about ISU not abiding by the approved VenueWorks proposal and not allowing capital campaigns or even fundraising over years that would have handled several of the deferred maintenance projects that now are being touted as reasons to shutter the place.
As I’ve said before, I know people look for thoughts and explanations that mirror their own, including me. As a person who works with words, I also read words carefully for content, intent and inference of facts not actually mentioned.

Reactions: Tornado man

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
The only real problem there is the ADA regulations. But I digress.
So until they begin renovations, Stephens is OK to operate. All the steps in the egress ways to the auditorium are part of what makes the facility unique, Need some civil, structual engineers and architects to step up. Minimze the cost, keep the original intent, but make the facility compliant!! Wonder where they educate those type of people?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Universities are going to have to do some creative financing until this c'virus passes. That could be loans from foundations to athletics as an example. Third parties taking possession of certain assets and leasing them back to the schools. And other non-traditional means of funding the machine.

Education has generally become so expensive, way outpacing other sectors of the economy, that perhaps this gets it to rationalizing staff sizes and salaries. There's just no way higher ed continues on yesterday's pathway.

My economics degree coming out of State is worth today exactly what it was when I graduated adjusted for inflation, yet ...

college-tuition-has-eclipsed-inflation-over-the-past-45-years-cpi-avg-private-tuition-avg-public-tuition_chartbuilder-2.png

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So until they begin renovations, Stephens is OK to operate. All the steps in the egress ways to the auditorium are part of what makes the facility unique, Need some civil, structual engineers and architects to step up. Minimze the cost, keep the original intent, but make the facility compliant!! Wonder where they educate those type of people?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Plenty of people to do the job. Clearly not the problem. Where are you getting the 10s of millions of dollars?

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Plenty of people to do the job. Clearly not the problem. Where are you getting the 10s of millions of dollars?
Hopefully there is a less expensive solution, oftentimes, people go for the ideal, when a less expensive solution is available. Especially when it is a "public funded" project. Maybe it is not possible, but 25 million seems a lot for a bringing a building up to ADA standards.