Pollard and blame

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Does running JP or maybe even Rhoads make it more likely that Hoiberg goes to the NBA? I would think it would. Hoiberg knows how tough it is to recruit to ISU especially in football. So personally I haven't seen anything in Rhoads schemes or preparation that are show stoppers, that better recruits would make much more effective. I have seen no evidence from anyone that a coaching change will automatically help recruiting more then showing a little more patience with a guy who is passionate about the school, who is liked by his players and also liked by national media. And I don't want to risk losing CFH on just taking a chance on a flyer.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Does running JP or maybe even Rhoads make it more likely that Hoiberg goes to the NBA? I would think it would. Hoiberg knows how tough it is to recruit to ISU especially in football. So personally I haven't seen anything in Rhoads schemes or preparation that are show stoppers, that better recruits would make much more effective. I have seen no evidence from anyone that a coaching change will automatically help recruiting more then showing a little more patience with a guy who is passionate about the school, who is liked by his players and also liked by national media. And I don't want to risk losing CFH on just taking a chance on a flyer.

Zero chance of CPR's job status effecting Fred's desire to stay here. The only way JP leaving would effect Fred is if he didn't get along with the new AD

I understand CPR apologists will grasp at any straw but this argument is ridiculous

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Zero chance of CPR's job status effecting Fred's desire to stay here. The only way JP leaving would effect Fred is if he didn't get along with the new AD

I understand CPR apologists will grasp at any straw but this argument is ridiculous
They get more ridiculous by the day. Some really crazy ideas.

cylove

Jul 14, 2014
Not really. Just looks that way sometimes. They should have beaten them once by now in their history.

Farley genuflects to iowa. He is a hawk fan too.

He hates Iowa State, and treats the Iowa State game like mac treated the iowa game

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Actually I think JP had also given the Chiz a nice extension, so that's 2 bad coaches (3 if CPR doesn't bounce back) that JP gave big extensions to. JP has done some good things and overall I'd give him a C-. But it seems some people forget that if Auburn and Creighton didn't ride in to save our butt, JP would be long gone. Chiz was not the slam dunk hire some want to think he was as many on here were excited about Brian Kelly becoming our coach, which the athletic department apparently wanted the media and fans to believe would happen. GMac also was not an exciting hire to a lot of fans either (and especially had we known Fred was interested in the job). Those two coaches were well on their way to emptying the Jack and Hilton until Auburn and Creighton saved us.

Why were those bad hires at the time? I think Fred and JP agreed it wasn't the right time for Fred to take the job, when Mac was hired.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I see the length of contract coming up again and again, and while on one hand, I agree with it since it could cause us to hang onto a failing coach longer than we would otherwise (I'm not convinced that CPR is that, yet, because of some unique situations...namely the recruiting challenges during the reorg years, and admittedly his bad promotion of Mess, but I'll admit it's starting to smell like smoke in here)....you have to remember that JP didn't make those long contracts necessarily out of his thought that it was the best course of action, he did it because it was the course of action available to him at the time and place that he was...specifically, for a while there with the early bowl qualifying, and the viral videos of the locker room speeches, he had a potentially attractive coach for other schools to hire away, and a building a program at a historically underperforming school requires stability. Those schools could easily offer more money, but JP could offer a nice, long contract in a location that worked out well for CPR. While we have now forgotten that CPR was mentioned for some coaching vacancies because he sure isn't on any short lists in the last few years, at the time, he was, and with the resources at JP's disposal, length of contract was what he had to offer. Even at the time, I recall thinking "jeez, I hope this works out, but in his position, he kinda did what he had to do".

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Why were those bad hires at the time? I think Fred and JP agreed it wasn't the right time for Fred to take the job, when Mac was hired.

I've posted on this before, but some felt and posted (myself included) that Kelly would be a great hire because he was a successful mid major coach that had also beat the big boys (a coach that could do more with less). The Chiz hire was very similar to the Donnie Duncan hire, which didn't work out well either, though better than the Chiz. GMac's last UNI team had collapsed, and Morgan had already beat his best 3 uni teams 2 out of 3. It also was a poke in Morgan's eye and the players that liked Morgan (all of them) as there was likely bad blood between Gmac and Morgan over the UNI incident. Players leaving, especially Stinson and Blaylock, shouldn't have been a surprise with GMac's hiring. I hadn't read or heard that Fred didn't think it was the right time for him after Morgan so that's news to me. Obviously JP didn't think it was the right time so we got the Gmac years.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

Zero chance? And how do you know that? And you don't think that JP getting run out of here wouldn't have an affect. The guy who took a huge leap of faith to hire him. Who has this program in the best financial shape it's probably ever been in and btw happens to loves Iowa State. Yeah your right that would have no affect on someone who seems to value fairness and loyalty. So your willing to take a chance on a new AD who Hoiberg possibly doesn't like.

And before you throw out the CPR apologist argument all the time how about actually making an argument instead of just stating an opinion that all we need to do is hire a new coach. Illinois hires new coaches all the time. They have a huge recruiting advantage over ISU. They play in a weak B1G. Yet they still suck. Are you even open to the possibility that maybe stability in the coaching is the best way for ISU to grow it's program. Or are you just blinded by your hatred of CPR and JP to not even entertain the idea.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Zero chance? And how do you know that? And you don't think that JP getting run out of here wouldn't have an affect. The guy who took a huge leap of faith to hire him. Who has this program in the best financial shape it's probably ever been in and btw happens to loves Iowa State. Yeah your right that would have no affect on someone who seems to value fairness and loyalty. So your willing to take a chance on a new AD who Hoiberg possibly doesn't like.

And before you throw out the CPR apologist argument all the time how about actually making an argument instead of just stating an opinion that all we need to do is hire a new coach. Illinois hires new coaches all the time. They have a huge recruiting advantage over ISU. They play in a weak B1G. Yet they still suck. Are you even open to the possibility that maybe stability in the coaching is the best way for ISU to grow it's program. Or are you just blinded by your hatred of CPR and JP to not even entertain the idea.

Very doubtful JP is going anyplace as he and Leath seem to be very tight. IF CPR continues to struggle and JP does nothing, then things might change. But thinking JP leaving would affect Fred is just a wild guess imo. JP didn't hire Fred the first time he wanted the job, and had Creighton not come along or GMac had even a little success, JP may never have hired Fred. And who really knows what Fred thought of JP and Leath messing with his roster, letting BuBu play one year then taking him off the team the next even though there was nothing new. And taking him off the team when it was too late for Fred to get another recruit. It's not a stretch to think that Fred wasn't too crazy about how the administration handled that whole situation.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
The only AD employee in real jeopardy is CPR and I think its greater than some imagine. Lose this week-end to KU and JTS will be barren in the second half of the last two home games. That is what gets people fired.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The only AD employee in real jeopardy is CPR and I think its greater than some imagine. Lose this week-end to KU and JTS will be barren in the second half of the last two home games. That is what gets people fired.

What gets people fired is a lack of season ticket sales. Crowds are generally smaller as the season gets colder. We will probably get a decent crowd for Texas Tech. Probably not a big crowd for the November 29th game. Students home for Thanksgiving and cold weather.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
What gets people fired is a lack of season ticket sales. Crowds are generally smaller as the season gets colder. We will probably get a decent crowd for Texas Tech. Probably not a big crowd for the November 29th game. Students home for Thanksgiving and cold weather.
Students will be home for the Tech game too.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Gonna be like those late season games in the McCarney era...

Bring on some basketball.

LesGoCY

Feb 7, 2014

Speaking of Pollard and Rhoads - why doesn't the question ever arise as to why those two live (or at least kids attend schools) in Gilbert instead of Ames? Or, are we not suppose to ask?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Speaking of Pollard and Rhoads - why doesn't the question ever arise as to why those two live (or at least kids attend schools) in Gilbert instead of Ames? Or, are we not suppose to ask?

Because they can live wherever they want too.... and Gilbert is where all the wealthy people are at.

Pollard, Rhoads, and Hoiberg aren't going to live with the riff raff in Ames. You kidding?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron