POLL: Besides Monte, who is MVP of Iowa State basketball?

Besides Monte Morris, who is the most important member of the ISU basketball team?

• Matt Thomas

Votes: 39 18.0%
  • Naz Mitrou-Long

Votes: 91 41.9%
  • Deonte Burton

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • The fifth-year posts, Merrill Holden & Darrell Bowie

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • Nick Weiler-Babb & Donovan Jackson

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That's a hell of a tough decision to give us today, CW. I voted Matt Thomas as he is the do-everything guy. Scoring, rebounding, assists, defense (slight edge over Naz due to Matt's rebounding ability). But you could make a big case for Naz's vocal leadership and passion and Burton for his sheer talent.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Burton, because we don't have anyone else like that to fill his shoes/Timberlands

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I went with Burton because I think he's a guy ISU can't afford to lose. If Naz or Matt went down, Babb and Jackson are solid fill-ins. Great question though.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My vote is for Naz. How many times did we say that we missed his leadership on the court last year? He is obviously a great shooter but his intangibles just can't be replaced.

chicagocyfan

Apr 11, 2006
Chicago
I think our quality depth at the 2 and 3 take Naz and Matt out of equation for most important. The most difficult decision for me is between Burton (as the matchup nightmare) and how important the 5 role will be in conference play with Holden and Bowie and our unproven depth.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Naz without a doubt. He is the ultimate glue guy and his leadership and enthusiasm are way more important than we realize. We won't realize how important his intangibles are until he is gone, which is sad IMO

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy and kkise

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I went with Donovan Jackson and Nick Weiler-Babb. My reasoning is that if any of those other guys go down with an injury, there are others on the team that can adequately fill their role. If Monte goes down, we need Jackson and to a lesser extend Weiler-Babb to be able to step in and run the offense.

Monte wasn't "officially" injured much last year, but you could tell he had taken a beating and wasn't his usual explosive self at the end of the year. I think it cost us some games not having a true point guard backing him up.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I voted for Naz, because of his leadership and personality on top of his production. I strongly considered Burton, because I think the team goes as Deonte goes. If he has a good game the team will have a stronger chance to beat anybody, but the same goes if he struggles

Help Support Us

Become a patron