Poll: All-Time RB

All-Time RB

• Total voters

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I've always equated Breece to Emmitt Smith an extremely gifted back in an ideal situation. Montgomery is more Walter Payton, super human skills with the deck stacked against him. Troy's the tougher one, keep coming back to Eric Dickerson, this is what I'm going to do. How are you going to stop me?
Not the same style in the least, but in situation, Davis’s comparison would probably be Barry Sanders. Amazing talent on some just amazingly bad teams.

• Winner
Reactions: drlove and CyBobby

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
This poll is invalid. I do not see Joe Parmentier’s name anywhere. Five TD’s on 34 career touches.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
this is like the Michael Jordan and LeBron debate. The young kids that never saw Troy probably think Hall is the best, but it’s not even close.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I’m going to say:

Breece is the better player and better athlete who will have a more promising pro career. But he’ll never accomplish what Troy did here. Troy is the greatest from accomplishment standpoint.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Davis.

2000 Yds - Twice
Played behind crappy offensive lines/teams
Everyone keyed on him
Heisman finalist.
I'd say that the offensive lines that we had during Davis' two years were better run blocking OLs than Montgomery ran behind.

Now, I still say it's 1. Davis, 2. Hall, 3. Montgomery. BUT, I think everyone needs to watch the endzone view game vs. TCU in 2017. How Montgomery even had positive yardage that game is amazing. Not only did the OL struggle, the offense was still running read "option" with Kempt as QB. Needless to say the correct read would've been to pull it every time, but clearly having Kyle run the ball wouldn't have been ideal.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Davis had the best career here and that will never be touched but Breece Hall is a prototype back. Most talented hands down.

I'm throwing Ennis Haywood out there as most underrated RB. A bruiser with versatility, was a very good receiver out of the backfield.
Haywood was absolutely underrated. Two time 1st team all-conference, led the league in rushing twice during years in which ISU won 16 games.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I was just looking at a Reddit CFB thread to pick your school’s all-time team. It got me wondering if Troy Davis or David Montgomery was the all-time running back for Iowa State. And although it’s early, I started wondering if it will end up being Hall.
It’s not even debate worthy until someone else strings together a pair of 2000 yard+ seasons. The answer is unequivocally Troy Davis.

Reactions: ISUalways and NWICY

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yeah, it's got to be Troy. Every game everybody in the stadium knew he was getting the ball and still couldn't stop him.

Troy not getting the Heisman proved how political and territorial those awards can be.

I AGREE ....I was in Jack Trice the afternoon that Troy Davis laid 375 Rushing Yards on Missouri......A few of the Mizzou fans had never seen Troy Davis run the ball before and one of them asked me..."Where did he aka Troy Davis come from? My answer was of course ...Miami, Fla!!

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Another vote for Dexter Green. Dexter Green had 3,453 in 3 years (3,585 total in 4 yrs) and 33 TD's (35 in 4 yrs) in 34 games (45 games in 4 years). Need to mention Dwayne Crutchfield. Crutchfield had 2,501 rushing yards and 28 TD's in 22 games in 2 years. Dexter played on the good Earle Bruce teams in 1976, 1977 and 1978. Crutchfield played for the average Donnie Duncan teams in 1980-81
Dwayne Crutchfield was hurt in 1981 and did not have the season he should have had but one memory I have is of the Iowa game where early in the 1st quarter Crutchfield went over right guard for a huge gain ....It was our first possession,,, and we went down the field and scored a touchdown...John Quinn going into the end zone for the touchdown!

ONE OF THE GREATEST DAYS TO BE A CYCLONE!!

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I was stuck in the abyss of North Dakota in the dark ages of TV where I could only watch the NBC Notre Dame game, NDSU and the Fighting Sioux. I voted for Breece, but if I saw Troy play, it possibly would have swayed my vote. David is a good choice too, so difficult poll.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
TD had over 4,000 yards in just 22 games in '95 and '96, with defenses specifically game planning to stop him. He's one of the top 5 running backs in college football history.

Top 5:
1. Troy Davis
2. Breece Hall
3. David Montgomery
4. Blaise Bryant
5. Darren Davis

Honorable mention: Green, Crutchfield, Haywood, A-Rob.

Reactions: ISUalways

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I AGREE ....I was in Jack Trice the afternoon that Troy Davis laid 275 Rushing Yards on Missouri......A few of the Mizzou fans had never seen Troy Davis run the ball before and one of them asked me..."Where did he aka Troy Davis come from? My answer was of course ...Miami, Fla!!
I was there as well, but I believe it was 375 yards.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
TD had over 4,000 yards in just 22 games in '95 and '96, with defenses specifically game planning to stop him. He's one of the top 5 running backs in college football history.

Top 5:
1. Troy Davis
2. Breece Hall
3. David Montgomery
4. Blaise Bryant
5. Darren Davis

Also Michael Wagner. But only solely because of his teeth shattering block for Seneca on The Run.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Top 5:
1. Troy Davis
2. Breece Hall
3. David Montgomery
4. Blaise Bryant
5. Darren Davis

DD over Green is ridiculous.

Reactions: Jayshellberg