PODCAST: Talking Texas Tech, the Big 12 & more

RaiderMacht

Sep 29, 2012
Nice, listened to the whole thing.

Brent Blum apparently thinks we'll only have 40k in the stands for the Iowa State game. I can't even remember the last time our attendance was that low. We set a stadium record a few weeks ago with 60k against Texas State. You think we won't have a big crowd for ISU? You're nuts, buddy!

I understand picking your team to win, and your reasons are sound, but I really don't understand the need to take every backhanded shot you can at our team at our fans. Our media guys certainly never do that to Iowa State, or even come close.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, and I hope I don't get banned, I just don't understand it.

Last edited:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Brent Blum apparently thinks we'll only have 40k in the stands for the Iowa State game. I can't even remember the last time our attendance was that low. We set a stadium record a few weeks ago with 60k against Texas State. You think we won't have a big crowd for ISU? You're nuts, buddy! I especially enjoyed the classy "those people have no lives" comment.

I understand picking your team to win, and your reasons are sound, but I really don't understand the need to take every backhanded shot you can at our team at our fans. Our media guys certainly never do that to Iowa State, or even come close.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, and I hope I don't get banned, I just don't understand it.

Probably because last time we played in Lubbock it was a ghost town at halftime.

RaiderMacht

Sep 29, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I only had a small gripe about the whole podcast. I was going to listen to just the Tech part but I ended up listening to the whole thing and I enjoyed it.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI

Brent Blum apparently thinks we'll only have 40k in the stands for the Iowa State game. I can't even remember the last time our attendance was that low. We set a stadium record a few weeks ago with 60k against Texas State. You think we won't have a big crowd for ISU? You're nuts, buddy! I especially enjoyed the classy "those people have no lives" comment.

haven't listened yet, but maybe Brent is just trying to get back for the TTech paper writers (or whoever they were) picking ISU 9th or 10th in the league this year. I'll try to find it, or maybe someone else will post it for me...

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007

First off, appreciate you listening.

I (Brent) said they would get 50k or more. Iowa State isn't a huge draw and it is an early start. But yes, I do think you have a dedicated and passionate fan base. Much better than Baylor's.

RaiderMacht

Sep 29, 2012
First off, appreciate you listening.

I (Brent) said they would get 50k or more. Iowa State isn't a huge draw and it is an early start. But yes, I do think you have a dedicated and passionate fan base. Much better than Baylor's.

I might have misheard you, my fault. You're going to be surprised, I think ISU will be a sellout. Texas State is a terrible draw and it sold out. Don't take my griping the wrong way, I liked the podcast. It's much better than having to listen to The Horn every day like I do (ugh).

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I might have misheard you, my fault. You're going to be surprised, I think ISU will be a sellout. Texas State is a terrible draw and it sold out. Don't take my griping the wrong way, I liked the podcast. It's much better than having to listen to The Horn every day like I do (ugh).
No worries! I'm looking forward to the trip to Lubbock, love Jones stadium. And some of the best restaurants in the Big 12.

ttuadvisor

Sep 17, 2012

Brent Blum apparently thinks we'll only have 40k in the stands for the Iowa State game. I can't even remember the last time our attendance was that low. We set a stadium record a few weeks ago with 60k against Texas State. You think we won't have a big crowd for ISU? You're nuts, buddy!

With a 11:00a.m. game against Iowa State I'm not sure it will be a sellout. There will be more than 50K, but I don't think we're breaking any attendance records like we did against TCU.

I think my favorite parts of the podcast were the central Iowa people saying that Lubbock people have no life and that Texas is better than Texas Tech.

I'm not sure why people in Central Iowa(Ames 60,000ish) are taking shots about the people in Lubbock(250,000ish) having no life. Granted, I never get the whole "our college town is better than your college town" arguments that inevitably come up every year vs. every opponent.

Lubbock is no Austin, but it's a metropolis compared to Ames.

I don't really have a problem with them picking ISU to win. It should be a good game, and there are a lot of variables that are in Iowa State's favor. I expect ISU to come in and be more focused early. Rhoads will have them fired up and they usually execute their game plan well against Tech.

Tech's defense is a lot better than their fans realize though. I think it hinges a lot on the QB. If Davis Webb gets the start and just starts throwing up prayers, Tech is going to have to overcome a lot of turnovers. No one has a clue what happens if Michael Brewer gets the start. Should be fun. Have a lot of respect for Rhoads, and hope the Cyclone fans that make the trip have a good time in Lubbock.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

First of all, I think it was me who threw out the 45-50 K number. I simply asked Brent because I've never been to Lubbock and he has. Thanks for your clarification.

If it came off as us "taking every backhanded shot" possible at Tech, we certainly didn't mean for it to be that way. In our podcast, we are just a couple of guys chatting. This podcast is aimed to entertain Iowa State fans (this is CycloneFANATIC.COM) so from the opposition's standpoint, I can see why you might be rubbed the wrong way and for that, I sincerely apologize.

Ever since I got back from Dallas (media day), I thought that Tech would be a sleeper in the league this year. Kingsbury and the boys have done nothing to make anybody think any differently. He's a hell of a coach - a guy who I think has a lot of similarities to Fred Hoiberg and the Iowa State hoops program. That's a great compliment by the way.

And of course you won't get banned for this. We all have a right to disagree with one another. Best of luck on Saturday.

TTUFan

Oct 2, 2007
Dallas, TX

Tx St was family weekend which helped it to sell out. Avg attendance according to the NCAA stats has been 57,928 that is under capacity of 60,454. I would hope Tech pulls 53k+ for the game. The 11am start will hurt the attendance numbers.

ttuadvisor

Sep 17, 2012
Tx St was family weekend which helped it to sell out. Avg attendance according to the NCAA stats has been 57,928 that is under capacity of 60,454. I would hope Tech pulls 53k+ for the game. The 11am start will hurt the attendance numbers.

According to Tech's Media Director there were still 7,000 unsold tickets as of Monday evening.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Why is an early game less attended? I would have thought the "traditional" 11:00 start times would be the usual expectation of fans, or maybe early afternoon start.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't take the TT D lightly. Tubberville was always known for defense and the last year he came to Ames he shut down the Cyclone offense with that defense.

And the Tech coaching staff looks like an upgrade across the board so far.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
First of all, I think it was me who threw out the 45-50 K number. I simply asked Brent because I've never been to Lubbock and he has. Thanks for your clarification.

If it came off as us "taking every backhanded shot" possible at Tech, we certainly didn't mean for it to be that way. In our podcast, we are just a couple of guys chatting. This podcast is aimed to entertain Iowa State fans (this is CycloneFANATIC.COM) so from the opposition's standpoint, I can see why you might be rubbed the wrong way and for that, I sincerely apologize.

Ever since I got back from Dallas (media day), I thought that Tech would be a sleeper in the league this year. Kingsbury and the boys have done nothing to make anybody think any differently. He's a hell of a coach - a guy who I think has a lot of similarities to Fred Hoiberg and the Iowa State hoops program. That's a great compliment by the way.

And of course you won't get banned for this. We all have a right to disagree with one another. Best of luck on Saturday.

Fred is way dreamier than Kingsbury