Plasma or HDTV

ISU_REV

Apr 21, 2006
Plasma or LCD

I am finally breaking down and getting rid of my tube tv. I thought the best place to do any research is right here.

I would like to go somewhere between 42 and 52".

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Plasma is HDTV. I assume you're asking plasma vs. LCD. And it really depends on your budget. I have a 40" Samsung LCD and love it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Plasma and HDTV are not exclusively separate. You can get an HDTV in plasma, LCD, etc.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm assuming you mean plasma vs lcd. Id go lcd.

Samsung or Sony are the best quality, I'd prefer samsung.

If you have a lot of windows\lights you might want to have a screen with a matte instead of a glossy finish.

120hz is pretty sweet, most of the new tvs are coming with it.

Also, i might recommend once youve nailed it down to a few tvs going to a store and looking at them, but ultimately, order with amazon. The price often comes in a few hundred dollars cheaper, and you dont pay sales tax.

Tell us about the rest of your setup (and your price range) that might help with the recommendations as well.

Reactions: cyfanatic

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
It all just depends.

I personally prefer plasma, because it doesn't suffer from the same issues with refresh rate that the LCDs do, and there is less of an issue with ghosting. It does have SLIGHTLY higher power consumption than the equivalent LCD screen, so I guess that's a drawback.

Plasmas historically had a "burn in" problem, but that's mostly gone now (especially after the first hundred hours or so). LCDs have a backlight that can go out too, so I pretty much put the "potential problems" list about the same for either.

Either way you go, I'd recommend Samsung.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I would say that if you are upgrading from a tube you are going to be happy no matter what you end up with.
I love my Panasonic Plasma and would recommend them to anyone. Stick to Panasonic, Samsung, or Sony and you should be good.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It all just depends.

I personally prefer plasma, because it doesn't suffer from the same issues with refresh rate that the LCDs do, and there is less of an issue with ghosting. .

True, though LCDs are getting better in that, especially in the 120hz tvs.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
True, though LCDs are getting better in that, especially in the 120hz tvs.
I hate to break it to you, but the 120hz thing is somewhat marketing fluff. It does help with some content, 24fps film in particular, but sports still suffer from the same issues.

Things aside from 120hz can help fix that, but the 120hz thing, on it's own, isn't a magic bullet.

I'd probably rather have a 120hz LCD than a 60hz one, but I think I'd rather just have a plasma and not have to worry about it.

Some people can't even tell the difference. For some reason I can and it is annoying to me. I couldn't get a DLP because I could see the rainbow effect as well.

Like I said before, a lot of it is personal taste. Try them all and see what you like the best.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Id disagree that its marketing fluff... i can definitely see the difference with 120hz over 60hz

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I have an LCD in my living room where there is more natural light and a Plasma in my basement (man cave) where it's dark and very little natural light............I love both of them...

LCD's are better in bright rooms and Plasma's are better in darker rooms in general.............

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
My best advice is go look at Best Buy or some place that has a bunch of them side by side and ask yourself which picture you like the best. Do you like the glassy effect or not? Do some look too pixelated to you?

I have a 42 inch LG LCD and have been extremely happy with it (I was set on getting LCD over Plasma). If you're going with 42 inch or greater... then it may be beneficial to get 1080p (assuming you'll have a 1080p input such as BluRay/Xbox).

I personally felt LG's picture looked best to me (the Sony's out there at the time were way to glassy and you could see reflections on them). But I'd recommend sticking to the top 4 brands. (Sony LG Samsung... and can't remember the last one)

Also, I felt LG was usually the best price of the 4. Anyway... make sure you buy when there is a sale... don't just buy the one you like right away. They will always cycle through sales.

Last edited:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Id disagree that its marketing fluff... i can definitely see the difference with 120hz over 60hz
Well there's a lot going on aside from just the refresh rate getting higher, but it gets pretty technical.

Newer LCDs are getting better, and the blur issue is becoming less and less of an issue, but it's got less to do with "120hz" and more to do with faster pixels, which was what caused the blur in the first place .

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
I have a sony 42'' LCD Projection and have had no problems with that, and then I also have a 32'' LG LCD and love that as well. It all depends on your preferences, also a lot of the newer HDTV's are full 1080p, but usually run a bit more then the "standard" HDTV, if your going to play video games and such Id recommend the LCD even with the improved plasma technologies

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
also remember the settings at most places are preset to vivid/dynamic etc, if you want to get the best picture you need to change that setting in the menu options when you are looking at them, and if you are comparing two side by side make sure you do it to both TV's

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Panasonic plasma. Best bang for the buck and far better picture than LCD. I'm not a fan of LCD at all. Action sequences suck (sports) and off center viewing picture sucks. At least they are more expensive. :smile:

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
I like our DLP but we bought it when a 52in DLP was 1/3 the price of a 40 inch LCD or Plasma. Now that the prices have come down, my next one won't be a DLP.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
I'll take LCD anytime! Plasma sucked... after a period of time the "gas" behind the glass had to be replaced... and the super ID of a certain network had its image burned into the corner of the screen.

Help Support Us

Become a patron