Places to eat in Ames

burgcy

Dec 30, 2010
Omaha
A small group of cyclone fans is coming to Ames on Friday night and it has been a really long time since we have been out in Ames. Would some people throw out some suggestions of good places to eat and drink that are off the beaten path?

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I was impressed with Cornbred BBQ. I'm hoping to be able to hit that place up before bball games this winter.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
beaudelaire
The Grove Cafe
The CAFE.

If you have any sense of taste. lol (no pun intended)

~ 10 minutes north of campus

You can order lunch in the back bar, or fine dining in the main section (casual attire). They also have a bakery/coffee area

We go there every trip to Ames. Excellent food, great service.

https://www.thecafeames.com/
Be prepared for a little wait, just like elsewhere. Good menu choices, excellent quality.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
You can always stick with the classics. Hickory Park, Great Plains, Dublin Bay

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If you want to watch some games and have some beers, I'd say Wallaby's. If it's just food and then maybe somewhere else for beers, I'd probably do The Café and then go to Whiskey River. Or Great Plains then walk across the street to Whiskey River.

Typhoon

Sep 30, 2010
A small group of cyclone fans is coming to Ames on Friday night and it has been a really long time since we have been out in Ames. Would some people throw out some suggestions of good places to eat and drink that are off the beaten path?
The Spice downtown has excellent Thai food and a bar.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Cornbred is excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

Highly recommend the pulled pork, was kinda unimpressed with the rest of their food particularly for what they charge. Short trip to Luther to Whatcha Smokin' BBQ is better food at a much better price, IMO.

You can always stick with the classics. Hickory Park, Great Plains, Dublin Bay

I know I'm in the minority, but I feel like Hickory Park is incredibly overrated.

Help Support Us

Become a patron