Places to eat in Ames

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Cornbred is excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

I seem to be in the vast minority hear, and granted only based on two visits but I don't really get all the love. I had brisket and smoked sausage. Brisket was really good, but the sausage was like eating a leftover Johnsonville. Sides I had were good, not great.
I also think there sauces and vinegar kind of all have an overpowering sweetness and combo of spices that gets old really fast. Reminds of Thanksgiving yams with marshmallows. Good at first, but when I get sick of the flavor and look for a reprieve from one of the other sauces or their vinegar they all have that same flavor.

Overall I thought the food was good and the place is nice but overrated and overpriced in my opinion. As a comparison for similar, maybe slightly less $ Flying Mango in Des Moines blows it out of the water in my opinion.

Take it with a grain of salt. I don't go out to eat much and am clearly not a restaurant critic.

I'm a big fan of the Cafe and Provisions in Ames, depending on menu items at any given time. Also like the Spice.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The Cafe and Provisions are sister-restaurants and both really good. One is on Stange on the north side and the other is by the airport on the south side of Ames. There are several good eateries up north on Stange near The Cafe as well.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It's been 2 or 3 years since I've been, but +39 was really good the two times I've been. Good quality, good atmosphere, good service. Maybe a bit pricey, but you usually get what you pay for

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I seem to be in the vast minority hear, and granted only based on two visits but I don't really get all the love. I had brisket and smoked sausage. Brisket was really good, but the sausage was like eating a leftover Johnsonville. Sides I had were good, not great.
I also think there sauces and vinegar kind of all have an overpowering sweetness and combo of spices that gets old really fast. Reminds of Thanksgiving yams with marshmallows. Good at first, but when I get sick of the flavor and look for a reprieve from one of the other sauces or their vinegar they all have that same flavor.

Overall I thought the food was good and the place is nice but overrated and overpriced in my opinion. As a comparison for similar, maybe slightly less $ Flying Mango in Des Moines blows it out of the water in my opinion.

Take it with a grain of salt. I don't go out to eat much and am clearly not a restaurant critic.

I'm a big fan of the Cafe and Provisions in Ames, depending on menu items at any given time. Also like the Spice.
For me the food is better than you are describing, but not relative to the price.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
These suggestions I would not consider "off the beaten path":
Jethros
Hickory Park
Great Plains
Whiskey River
The Cafe

Provisions is very-similar-but-somehow-still-not-quite-as-good-as The Cafe. It is maybe-sorta off the beaten path.
El Azteca on S. Dayton isn't exactly off the beaten path but it's not often too busy.

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
The Cafe and Provisions are sister-restaurants and both really good. One is on Stange on the north side and the other is by the airport on the south side of Ames. There are several good eateries up north on Stange near The Cafe as well.

Ironically, I have had a number of business professionals tell me that the menu and food at Provisions is not as good or consistent as the Cafe for what that's worth.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It's been 2 or 3 years since I've been, but +39 was really good the two times I've been. Good quality, good atmosphere, good service. Maybe a bit pricey, but you usually get what you pay for

WTF is +39???? I love these threads!