PJ Fleck front runner for Tennessee job?

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Oh come on UK would never cheat, prove it.

They have been cheating and getting away with it for years, you could say the same thing for Baylor, but not most of the conference is not, like the SEC. Its ingrained in that conference, "if you aint cheaten, you aint trying."

Didn't OK State get caught up in something with the FBI last year?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Lol found this on there:

“UT won the first BCS championship. What part did ISU EVER play in the BCS?”

uhm....

stunnedgrandpa.gif

Relevancy from 22 years ago is a great argument for current status. For context Britney Spears, NSync, and DMX had the top selling albums in January of 1999. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire had the top three TV spots, and frosted tips was the hairstyle of choice for young men everywhere!!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Relevancy from 22 years ago is a great argument for current status. For context Britney Spears, NSync, and DMX had the top selling albums in January of 1999. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire had the top three TV spots, and frosted tips was the hairstyle of choice for young men everywhere!!
Pretty sure @JStanz51 will nut punch you for disrespecting DMX..... final answer.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
That person is surprisingly informed on Iowa State. Props
Yes that person is surprisingly knowledgeable about ISU. It's been a member on their board for 3 years now so it's not a newbie to their board trying to stir up trouble or troll them. Says it's been following Campbell for the 3 years also. Might just be a smart dude or dudess.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yes that person is surprisingly knowledgeable about ISU. It's been a member on their board for 3 years now so it's not a newbie to their board trying to stir up trouble or troll them. Says it's been following Campbell for the 3 years also. Might just be a smart dude or dudess.
Probably has a spouse or relative that went to ISU so is a fan by proxy or something like that.

Reactions: aauummm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Are they obsessing over the UL coach yet? Because that’s probably who they will get.
Yeah but they will be underwhelmed with that. They are convinced they are a blue blood. Not a mangled up old high school jock drunk and puking in a dumpster.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah but they will be underwhelmed with that. They are convinced they are a blue blood. Not a mangled up old high school jock drunk and puking in a dumpster.

They will probably end up paying a Sun Belt coach $6 million a year to finish no better than third in the SEC East, never conceding the fact that Power 5 coaches won't even take their calls.

That's got to be tough as a fan to accept. But it's much more realistic than expecting Campbell to jump to Knoxville.

If they were smart they would really pour on the charm and try hard to get Fleck to jump. I think if you guaranteed him top ten salary and 7 years to get past the NCAA stuff that's coming, his own ego might talk him into it. Beyond him there is no Power 5 guy I can think of that would jump at it.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I still would Britney though.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
They will probably end up paying a Sun Belt coach $6 million a year to finish no better than third in the SEC East, never conceding the fact that Power 5 coaches won't even take their calls.

That's got to be tough as a fan to accept. But it's much more realistic than expecting Campbell to jump to Knoxville.

If they were smart they would really pour on the charm and try hard to get Fleck to jump. I think if you guaranteed him top ten salary and 7 years to get past the NCAA stuff that's coming, his own ego might talk him into it. Beyond him there is no Power 5 guy I can think of that would jump at it.

I would guess that's the key. Give someone 7 years guaranteed. But when the school digs up dirt on the current HC to avoid a buyout, it can be kind of hard to trust them. Because, everyone in the SEC is cheating to an extent. If you look hard enough, you'll find somewhere that they're cheating.

Their new AD hired Leipold at Buffalo, that might be a decent hire, although not exciting. The problem with the SEC is that they are so wrapped up in recruiting rankings that fans are upset if you're not in the top 15. Never mind that ISU would have wiped the floor with a majority of that conference this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would guess that's the key. Give someone 7 years guaranteed. But when the school digs up dirt on the current HC to avoid a buyout, it can be kind of hard to trust them. Because, everyone in the SEC is cheating to an extent. If you look hard enough, you'll find somewhere that they're cheating.

Their new AD hired Leipold at Buffalo, that might be a decent hire, although not exciting. The problem with the SEC is that they are so wrapped up in recruiting rankings that fans are upset if you're not in the top 15. Never mind that ISU would have wiped the floor with a majority of that conference this year.

They are SEC fans, so naturally they would rather have an SEC retread or a P5 snake oil salesman like Fleck than a really good coach like Leipold or Napier.

Reactions: stateofmind

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

Hot take: Napier would do a better job there than Fleck.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They are SEC fans, so naturally they would rather have an SEC retread or a P5 snake oil salesman like Fleck than a really good coach like Leipold or Napier.

It seems like most of them on there seem to think Campbell is their first choice and they are making him say no and Napier is the back up.

Not too many want Fleck.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Imagine being the poor sap that gets suckered into following Saban...

Bear Bryant retired in 1982, longest tenured coach until Saban was 6yrs by Gene Stallings, the rest of them lasted 3 yrs or less if I looked at Wikipedia correctly. Bear coached for 25 yrs, Saban is up to 13 depending on how you count it hired in 2007. Lots of patience if that fan base. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The smart thing to do would be to have Saban and the AD pick a successor about 3 years ahead of Saban's planned retirement. Then get that person prepared to take over when the time comes.

What usually happens, is the super-successful leader (coach, CEO, etc) never really wants to pick a retirement date, stays on a few years too long and things start to go pear shaped. Then they get pushed out a bit in a hurry without a good successor named, or without that person having quite enough time to be ready to take over. And at that point, it often (not always) goes to pot and falls apart completely.

Happens in business all the time. Coaching too. Snyder, Fry, Bowden, JoePa all stayed too long, just off top of my head.

Well to be fair to Snyder he tried to retire KSU fell into the dumpster and he had to comeback to salvage them. I'm glad he's retired he really had our number, and some lucky breaks.