Perry Ellis??

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
Maybe I missed this in earlier threads but does anyone know if Ellis got drafted? I know Cheick Diallo was drafted 33rd and hardly played for Kansas. I apologize if this has already been discussed. Was talking to some friends over the weekend and Ellis's name popped up and no one had an answer.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I put it in the "draft 2016" thread, but Perry was picked up by the Dallas Mavericks as a free agent. Benchwarmer Diallo went in the draft, Seldon & Greene are still unattached as free agents, as far as I know.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ellis probably rated out very similarly to Ejim to these teams. while he had a better 4 year career than Ejim I don't think he was nearly as good as a senior and think Ejim was more athletic and developing a better long range shot.

NBA teams don't care about KU on the jersey like the NCAA does.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Here is what an anonymous scout had to say about Perry before the draft....

http://www.campusrush.com/2016-nba-draft-scouting-reports-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-1872857167.html

Perry Ellis, 6'8" senior forward, Kansas: "I don't think he's an NBA player. He's just O.K. at everything. Needs a mismatch at the four to break you down. I don't know what position he plays in the NBA. He's not a three, he's not a dominant athlete, doesn't have dominant size. He's a guy you root for because he does all the right things. If he can shoot 40% form the corner three, maybe he ends up making it, but I don't think he'll get drafted. Average rebounder who doesn't dribble."

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Here is what an anonymous scout had to say about Perry before the draft....http://www.campusrush.com/2016-nba-draft-scouting-reports-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-1872857167.htmlPerry Ellis, 6'8" senior forward, Kansas: "I don't think he's an NBA player. He's just O.K. at everything. Needs a mismatch at the four to break you down. I don't know what position he plays in the NBA. He's not a three, he's not a dominant athlete, doesn't have dominant size. He's a guy you root for because he does all the right things. If he can shoot 40% form the corner three, maybe he ends up making it, but I don't think he'll get drafted. Average rebounder who doesn't dribble."
Sounds about right. Ellis is the ultimate tweener. He might be able to stick on a roster as a role player somewhere but he's too small to be a legit PF and not athletic enough to be a wing that plays much. Being good in college isn't a guarantee of making the NBA.

Clone2Dbone

Dec 10, 2015
I don't think he's worried about the NBA, I do believe he is already enrolled in AARP and is eligible for Social Security.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I put it in the "draft 2016" thread, but Perry was picked up by the Dallas Mavericks as a free agent. Benchwarmer Diallo went in the draft, Seldon & Greene are still unattached as free agents, as far as I know.

I surprised Seldon didn't get the call.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I surprised Seldon didn't get the call.

He had some minor surgery post-season that may have hurt his chances. I think Green's reputation may have been his downfall.

I read an article on a Jayhawk website that said Seldon not being drafted was good because he does better when he's mad. And they think he should be mad that players that are not as good as him were drafted and he wasn't. They went on to specifically mention Niang & Nader. We'll see.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
He had some minor surgery post-season that may have hurt his chances. I think Green's reputation may have been his downfall.

I read an article on a Jayhawk website that said Seldon not being drafted was good because he does better when he's mad. And they think he should be mad that players that are not as good as him were drafted and he wasn't. They went on to specifically mention Niang & Nader. We'll see.

:rolleyes:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did coaches Prohm and Hoiberg go to bat for our players better than Self for his?

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I do think it's dumb when some of the players that are proven 4 year players and even all americans get drafted late on the 2nd rd and the foreign un proven players get lottery picks