Penn State University - The Freeh Report

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah...that's likely to happen.

The Big Ten has very little power. PSU can tell the Big Ten to take a hike. Without any NCAA sanctions, the Big East would take PSU in a heartbeat. PSU donors can make up any revenue loss.

And you don't think that PSU donors could make up for a "death penalty" punishment, just as easily?

Look at what was handed down to SMU, the worst punishment the NCAA has ever given.

-1 cancelled season
-1 season of zero home games
-2 year TV/bowl ban
-3 years probation
-1 year recruiting ban
-loss of 55 schollies over 4 years

Basically, you're looking at 2 years of no football games being played, and then they're right back at it. A death penalty won't kill a program like Penn State. It would be a bump, and that's about it. Their donors just raised over $200 million in the last year alone. That's one year of donations. Don't kid yourself. The NCAA can't do much long term damage to Penn State.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Do you really think it's a given that the Big East would take PSU. I'm not saying it's impossible, but would you really want to be the conference that took in the school that another conference let go due to a pedophilia scandal? I don't think even the Big East is that desperate.

What does the Big East really have to lose at this point?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What does the Big East really have to lose at this point?

exactly. NCAA sanctions won't change that. Penn State would be a cash cow even if the NCAA hit them as hard as they can.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
He wasn't the boss of the janitors and I am sure had no interaction with them. This doesn't explain not reporting it. Paterno is not the Don Corleone here. If you excuse their not reporting then you have to excuse Spanier, Curley, Schultz, McQueary. None of them can be excused. They are all as much to blame as Paterno. The Board of the Second Mile is just as much to blame as well.

Actually, he was.

Reactions: Cyclone06

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
if you think that's going to happen, you're kidding yourself.

Deep down, I don't expect anybody to do much of anything.

However, now would be the perfect time for the NCAA to take harsh action. They would have strong public sentiment/opinion on their side. Throw down a harsh penalty on PSU and make PSU fight it in court. The more court time for PSU the better.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I passed through State College back in '05 on my way to the ISU/Army football game, and through a comedy of errors I had to drive by the stadium on my way to get a rental car at the airport. At the time, I thought that a stadium out in the boonies with fields all around it was a good thing because it allowed enough parking without being part of town like Kinnick is in Iowa City.

In retrospect, I think the stadium might have been built out away from everything so that Sandusky could sodomize little boys on the 50-yard line late at night without anyone hearing the screams.

As far as the NCAA imposing "death penalty" sanctions on PedoState, I don't think that's necessary. Just bulldoze the athletic department offices, all the training facilities on campus, and Beaver Stadium. Make them into parks, or something more wholesome than PSU football....like adult bookstores or juice bars. Let Penn State football play all their future games at the local high school field, and melt that Paterno statue on campus down into a giant puddle of scrap metal. Don't take it down, just melt it right there where it stands and put up a new plaque telling how Joe Paterno looked the other way "for the sake of his program" while his defensive coordinator raped little boys.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Actually he wasn't. No one was going to get killed by Paterno for turning Sandusky into the authorities.

I know paterno was the face of the program but come on. These are grown men here.

If Ray Gricar were around anymore, he might disagree with you on that.

And Don Corleone? He didn't do his own killing. He subbed it out.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Deep down, I don't expect anybody to do much of anything.

However, now would be the perfect time for the NCAA to take harsh action. They would have strong public sentiment/opinion on their side. Throw down a harsh penalty on PSU and make PSU fight it in court. The more court time for PSU the better.

I agree. Harsh action is definitely needed, and it's my hope that it gets taken.

In all honesty though, unless some evidence surfaces that the BOT was involved, the Freeh report pretty much confines the conspiracy to Curley, Spanier, Paterno and Schultz. I'll be fine if those folks end up in jail/have their reputations ruined and the victims get financially rewarded handsomely for their suffering.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I agree. Harsh action is definitely needed, and it's my hope that it gets taken.

In all honesty though, unless some evidence surfaces that the BOT was involved, the Freeh report pretty much confines the conspiracy to Curley, Spanier, Paterno and Schultz. I'll be fine if those folks end up in jail/have their reputations ruined and the victims get financially rewarded handsomely for their suffering.

this is what needs to happen

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I passed through State College back in '05 on my way to the ISU/Army football game, and through a comedy of errors I had to drive by the stadium on my way to get a rental car at the airport. At the time, I thought that a stadium out in the boonies with fields all around it was a good thing because it allowed enough parking without being part of town like Kinnick is in Iowa City.

In retrospect, I think the stadium might have been built out away from everything so that Sandusky could sodomize little boys on the 50-yard line late at night without anyone hearing the screams.

As far as the NCAA imposing "death penalty" sanctions on PedoState, I don't think that's necessary. Just bulldoze the athletic department offices, all the training facilities on campus, and Beaver Stadium. Make them into parks, or something more wholesome than PSU football....like adult bookstores or juice bars. Let Penn State football play all their future games at the local high school field, and melt that Paterno statue on campus down into a giant puddle of scrap metal. Don't take it down, just melt it right there where it stands and put up a new plaque telling how Joe Paterno looked the other way "for the sake of his program" while his defensive coordinator raped little boys.

Jimlad? The stadium was built well before Sandusky ever coached a game at PSU and even before JoePa was coach, so no that theory is not true.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

It was very classy of one of the BOT members to state that this is squarely on their shoulders. I was reading this in the WSJ this morning. Very big of him to stand up and finally admit that this goes all the way to the top, including them. Sorry I don't have a citation handy. If I come across it again I'll post it later.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Actually he wasn't. No one was going to get killed by Paterno for turning Sandusky into the authorities.

I know paterno was the face of the program but come on. These are grown men here.

Grown men "protecting" a whole lot of money. See donation posts above. People have been killed for much less than what was/is at stake at PS. The more I think about it and the more digusted I get thinking about what they did/didnt do, I just would not put murder past this story. 6 months ago I though Paterno was just as surprised about all this as the rest of us. Oops.

With the money these PSU people have, I would be traveling and living with a security team until this quiets down if I were Freeh.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

I guess, the most powerful man in the state was JoPa, hands down. and them man didn't use email. everything was done with a handshake, and he protected his friend even after he knew what happened.

they promoted the "witness" as a payoff to have him keep in quiet, and kept him "in" the program.

A District Attorney magically vanishes.

The university doesn't disclose coaches salaries saying its a private university, yet gets benefits from the state and is a land grant institution.

They develop a secret code system for communicating.

Sounds like a mafia to me.

PhillipJCY

Mar 7, 2012
New New York
He wasn't the boss of the janitors and I am sure had no interaction with them. This doesn't explain not reporting it. Paterno is not the Don Corleone here. If you excuse their not reporting then you have to excuse Spanier, Curley, Schultz, McQueary. None of them can be excused. They are all as much to blame as Paterno. The Board of the Second Mile is just as much to blame as well.

The culture at Penn State is TOTALLY different than that of anywhere else or any other University. Joe Paterno WAS a living God while he was there. He had the most influence in that Institution. Sure there was the typical Bureaucracy in place, but Joe Paterno's opinion would easily sway the opinions of any committees or Board of Directors. I don't believe that it would be far fetched to say that Joe Paterno was a leader of a quasi-cult in Happy Valley. People are still defending him even after this report. That is how much of a hold that he still has in that place.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If Ray Gricar were around anymore, he might disagree with you on that.

And Don Corleone? He didn't do his own killing. He subbed it out.

The Gricar disappearance is fascinating, but I think most of the funny business was just orchestrated by Gricar so he get away to a new life more easily.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The culture at Penn State is TOTALLY different than that of anywhere else or any other University. Joe Paterno WAS a living God while he was there. He had the most influence in that Institution. Sure there was the typical Bureaucracy in place, but Joe Paterno's opinion would easily sway the opinions of any committees or Board of Directors. I don't believe that it would be far fetched to say that Joe Paterno was a leader of a quasi-cult in Happy Valley. People are still defending him even after this report. That is how much of a hold that he still has in that place.

Think about what ISU would be like if Johnny Orr had been at ISU for 60 years and head coach for about 45 of them and had won over 75% of his games over that time along with a couple of national championships. If he held the NCAA Div 1 record for coaching wins.

I contend there might be a lot of Cyclone fans behaving just as badly as some of the Penn State faithful we see.

It's not an excuse; I just can see how it happened. It is still sad to see.

PhillipJCY

Mar 7, 2012
New New York
Think about what ISU would be like if Johnny Orr had been at ISU for 60 years and head coach for about 45 of them and had won over 75% of his games over that time along with a couple of national championships. If he held the NCAA Div 1 record for coaching wins.

I contend there might be a lot of Cyclone fans behaving just as badly as some of the Penn State faithful we see.

It's not an excuse; I just can see how it happened. It is still sad to see.

I completely agree. Every fan base will deny that they would be like that if someone brought that kind of success for that many years. The truth is that Johnny Orr would hold the same power as Joe Paterno did, but hopefully he would be a leader who cared more about the Iowa State family than donations and success of the basketball program. It is human nature to idolize what we perceive to be the best of us. Unfortunately sometimes that person is not who we perceive to be.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron