Penn State University - The Freeh Report

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
http://i.usatoday.net/news/nation/2012-07-12-penn-state-freeh-report.pdf

Paterno, through his family, insisted after Sandusky’s arrest that he never knew anything about the 1998 case.

But this report asserts that Paterno not only knew of the investigation, but followed it closely. Local prosecutors ultimately decided not to charge Sandusky, and Paterno did nothing. Paterno failed to take any action, the investigation found, “even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years and had an office just steps away from Mr. Paterno’s.”

....I don't see how PSU can weasel it's way out of this one.

super condemning report

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Their fans are disgusting. Throughout this whole thing, they have been in a complete state of denial about Paterno's role in this.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Four of the most powerful people at The Pennsylvania State University – President Graham B. Spanier, Senior Vice President-Finance and Business Gary C. Schultz, Athletic Director Timothy M. Curley and Head Football Coach Joseph V. Paterno – failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade. These men concealed Sandusky’s activities from the Board of Trustees, the University community and authorities. They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky’s victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted in the Lasch Building in 2001. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child’s identity, of what McQuery saw in the shower on the night of February 9,2001.

this is unreal

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you want the short version , read pages 14-18.
I have a feeling that the increased donations that PSU recieved this year will end up going to victims as a result out of court settlements. Which by the way, is fine with me.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Penn State needs to suffer the 'death penalty' for two years, with a freeze on athletic department donations. If the NCAA does not penalize Penn State in this manner, Mark Emmert (NCAA Commissioner) should be investigated and fired. There is absolutely zero excuse for Penn State to serve no consequence for these actions. In addition, none of the current players at Penn State should be forced, or even allowed, to play under the cloud of suspicion and guilt in State College right now as the investigations and proceedings take place. It is time to put down the hammer.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Penn State needs to suffer the 'death penalty' for two years, with a freeze on athletic department donations.

See, I agree, but what sucks is that its never those involved who get punished. Its the people having to clean up the mess that do.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I agree they deserve at least some sort of ban. I wish for the victims sake they get this over with asap. It can't be good for them to have it brought up so much

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Gets worse and worse.

Sticking to my opinion all along that from a marketing, PR and brand identity standpoint their university and football program would be best served in the long term by a self imposed suspension of at least a few games if not a season.

It's the only fair thing to do for all those whose degrees and livelihoods from PSU are now associated with this. It's not entirely rational because you're punishing people not related to the crime, but the public is not rational in their associations and they'll always view the football program as going unpunished for its now clear role. If ISU was in this situation I'd want penalties imposed on our football program by ISU for the sake of my degree. It would never completely go away, but it's a measure that could be taken to help that is not being taken.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Penn State needs to suffer the 'death penalty' for two years, with a freeze on athletic department donations. If the NCAA does not penalize Penn State in this manner, Mark Emmert (NCAA Commissioner) should be investigated and fired. There is absolutely zero excuse for Penn State to serve no consequence for these actions. In addition, none of the current players at Penn State should be forced, or even allowed, to play under the cloud of suspicion and guilt in State College right now as the investigations and proceedings take place. It is time to put down the hammer.

I totally agree. You can lose scholarships because a drunk alumni slips a hundo to a player, but so far the NCAA is silent on a child sexual assault ring that was run out of State College for decades.

Unbelievable.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
They can't really self-impose a loss of games. They have contracts for their OOC games, a league requirement to play conference games, and I assume an NCAA-mandated minimum number of games they need on their schedule.

If the NCAA forces them to do it, that's different.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
See, I agree, but what sucks is that its never those involved who get punished. Its the people having to clean up the mess that do.

That's exactly what is hard about this situation. Sandusky is in jail. Paterno is dead. The executives were all fired. The people who are left aren't the ones who helped perpetuate this.

On the other hand, they all worked for a university, and their actions represented the university.

It's a crap situation.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

There are a ton, but I hope we cant rely on message board comments to label a fanbase. If that were the way to do it, I would be scared of what ISU fans look like from here sometimes. Anyway, Im just messin with ya. Wasnt looking to make you mad or anything. The whole deal is awful. PSU is looking very foolish.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
That's exactly what is hard about this situation. Sandusky is in jail. Paterno is dead. The executives were all fired. The people who are left aren't the ones who helped perpetuate this.

On the other hand, they all worked for a university, and their actions represented the university.

It's a crap situation.

it is a crap situation... but if one recruiting violation happens it punnishes the entire team, every single kid for one player's actions.

nothing you can do

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The NCAA can only punish schools for violating NCAA rules. You can't have a lack of institutional control without having a rules violation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron