Peloton Bike, Bowflex C6, Schwinn ic4, etc Experience

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
We got a Myx bike. It’s a less competitive version of Peloton and cheaper. It’s really nice. They were just purchased by another company and there’s a lot more types of workouts you can do when you turn the screen. It’s around $1200 but they always run promos, I think ours was $300 off.

Is that the one that partnered with Beach Body?

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Peleton is a hard pill to swallow price wise. Everyone I know that owns one says its not about the bike, its about live instructors being vastly superior to what you're gonna get on iFit and others. We haven't bit the bullet yet, but when I do it'll be a Peleton based on those comments about actually enjoying the workout.

PS Just completed the Des Moines marathon, but it took me over 7 hours so I feel I'm still qualified to give input on your question. Also, I hate running now. You have to enjoy what you're doing or you won't do it on a consistent basis.

The instructors and classes are their competitive advantage, but you can use the Peloton app for cheaper without a Peloton device. The app gives you all the same classes. Unless you care about the metrics it gives you and the leaderboard you can get a cheaper bike with a shelf for an iPad with the same classes.

• Informative
Reactions: Scruff

8thfloor

Aug 3, 2021
Another option is there are a lot of decent videos on YouTube. I prefer the GCN videos. As long as you don’t care about a leaderboard. Also if you already own a bike you can just buy a trainer.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Does Peloton do a free trial period for their classes? I’d be curious to see what those are like in comparison to iFit. I’ve actually enjoyed most of the classes on iFit so far. There are a couple trainers that I found annoying, but I just basically ignore their classes at this point. There are plenty of instructors to choose from so you should be able to find at least a few that you vibe with.

• Informative
Reactions: Scruff

JH4ISU

Mar 27, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We got the Schwinn IC4 a little over a year ago and we've really liked it. We have a tv set up to do whatever videos, etc. we want. Only complaint is the speed is a little off on ours even after calibration, but it doesn't really matter too much to us if not tracking exact mileage, etc. It rides really nice and is high quality.

I'd say don't get the Bowflex, it is the exact same as the Schwinn with different stickers and colors, same manufacturer (Nautilus) and same specs, material, basically everything but for $100+ dollars more. I say this after doing quite a bit of pre-purchase research as someone who would definitely steer clear of Schwinn bicycles.

Reactions: Jer

Conductorclone

Aug 25, 2013
From my personal experience, once you get past the initial cost of getting a Peloton it’s quite the machine and experience. I personally like the instructors and the way they keep you engaged and motivated when riding. I am the kind of person who needs motivation to push me beyond my comfort zone so the Peloton has helped me get in the best shape I’ve been in the last 20+ years.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
I got a “Spinning“ studio quality bike a few years ago. Love it! IMO, just make sure you get a heavy frame that won’t rock around on you. I paid a bit more for the bike than Peloton, but broke even in a little over a year having a 32’ on the wall in front of the bike and use the app Studio Sweat On Demand For live and archived classes.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I have a peloton for when I can't ride outside, and for my wife year round. I like it a lot more than I expected because I hate riding on a trainer. The instructors are pretty engaging, with a good variety of personalities.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1 and Jer

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
High marks for peleton, the instructors, the rides and related classes for workouts after the ride.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1 and Jer

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Well for better or worse just placed an order for a Peloton, will be delivered/setup this Saturday. Ugh.
Fast turnaround, I looked at them last winter and it was like 6-8 weeks out for delivery.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Well for better or worse just placed an order for a Peloton, will be delivered/setup this Saturday. Ugh.
It is very heavy as well, had to get it up stairs when I ordered because delivery drivers wouldn’t come in due to Covid.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
We have one, and had one of the cheaper options you listed first. I use the Pelton just enough more that the health benefits are worth it the extra cost. Imo the benefits of slightly higher utilization, slightly less chore-like feeling pays off over the years. My estimate is the superior classes/motivating factors resulted in 15%-25% more usage- maybe more for my wife who tends to let a couple missed workouts turn into 10.

Bottom line that’s why we’re paying way too much for any of these imo. If it helps keep her from going to one class a week, I’m basically even lol

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
We've been back and forth for a couple years on Peloton and I think we're going to go with a Hydrow instead.