Peloton Bike, Bowflex C6, Schwinn ic4, etc Experience

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I know there is an older thread, but it went all over the place. Anybody with experience as a casual person (i.e. non marathon runner) using a Peloton, Bowflex C6/7, Schwinn ic4, etc?

No, riding outside isn't an option (horrible allergies year-round) and I blew out a knee a few years ago after losing about 40 lbs on a treadmill and haven't wanted to repeat that.

Reactions: keepngoal

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My wife got a Nordic Track bike to help her rehab an Achilles injury. She really likes it and I use it quite a bit when weather gets crappy. You can adjust the resistance and incline, the variety of trainers is nice and the scenery is pretty amazing on their rides.

I know a few Peloton owners and they are happy with it.

Whatever you decide, I'd advise going with the largest screen option with whatever manufacturer you use. I've heard several people wish they have paid a little more for the larger screen.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My wife got a Nordic Track bike to help her rehab an Achilles injury. She really likes it and I use it quite a bit when weather gets crappy. You can adjust the resistance and incline, the variety of trainers is nice and the scenery is pretty amazing on their rides.

Whatever you decide, I'd advise going with the largest screen option with whatever manufacturer you use. I've heard several people wish they have paid a little more for the larger screen.

That's what I was thinking. I could either go with one of the less expensive models and use the big-screen TV for whatever motivation I need or get a larger screen bike that's all in one.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I know there is an older thread, but it went all over the place. Anybody with experience as a casual person (i.e. non marathon runner) using a Peloton, Bowflex C6/7, Schwinn ic4, etc?

No, riding outside isn't an option (horrible allergies year-round) and I blew out a knee a few years ago after losing about 40 lbs on a treadmill and haven't wanted to repeat that.
Jeremy, with all the cash you made from CF, Peloton shouldn't be a big deal for you... 1635362722282.png ;)

• Haha

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ive had a couple friends give good reviews of the Stryde bike, another option in this category to look at

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

I also have the NordicTrack/Proform machines that come with iFit. The benefit of iFit alone is worth the investment with trainers and various series/rides all over the world. They have live rides/spin classes as well.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks all. May ultimately go the Bowflex or Schwinn route (actually the same bike). While I could get to the point of swallowing the price of the Peloton, I don't like another $40/mo on top of the already high price. Flip side is I know it'll hold it's price decently if I get to the point of not using and want to resell. Hmm.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks all. May ultimately go the Bowflex or Schwinn route (actually the same bike). While I could get to the point of swallowing the price of the Peloton, I don't like another $40/mo on top of the already high price. Flip side is I know it'll hold it's price decently if I get to the point of not using and want to resell. Hmm.

Not trying to sound like a sales guy, but keep in mind the a year's iFit subscription comes with the purchase of a NordicTrack or ProForm machine.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018

Riding a bike and running are two different things...running SUCKS and keeps Podiatrist and surgeons happy. I've had knee surgery and my knee still pops out when walking at times, however, I ride a lot of long hard rides, including gravel rides with no issue because I am locked in and my feet cant turn out. The reason I say that, get a bike and a smart trainer and you have two things in one if you think you will ever ride outside. Then sign up for Swift which is an awesome app.

So if you are never going to ride a real bike, get a peloton. I have several friends that love their, plus I guess the women instructors are not too bad either.

Finally, never run and I would stay away from Schwinn.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Probably not a consideration for you since it sounds like you have your mind set on a bike but...The Hydrow is amazing. It is also expensive and also includes a monthly subscription ($34). BUT, it offers so much more of a complete workout than sitting on a bike. And the training videos are really cool (they are actually on the water). I'm a biker (mostly mountain), and i put my road bike on a trainer in the winter and use it at work. But given the choice, I'd do a Hydrow workout over a bike trainer every time.

And in case it matters, we have our whole family set up on it with their own profiles. I'm surprised at how much our teenaged boys use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macloney

CysFam

Jul 24, 2021
We got a Myx bike. It’s a less competitive version of Peloton and cheaper. It’s really nice. They were just purchased by another company and there’s a lot more types of workouts you can do when you turn the screen. It’s around $1200 but they always run promos, I think ours was $300 off.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Great suggestions, as always Fanatics!

Looks like the NordicTrack/ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22 is roughly equivalent to the Peloton for about $400 less, but they only include 30 days of service so not sure if it's worth the savings.

Schwinn and Bowflex seem competitive but with a lot of complaints, frequently for pedals stripping, etc.

Hydrow looks interesting, but not sure I'd end up using it as much in reality.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008

Looks like the NordicTrack/ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22 is roughly equivalent to the Peloton for about $400 less, but they only include 30 days of service so not sure if it's worth the savings.

Schwinn and Bowflex seem competitive but with a lot of complaints, frequently for pedals stripping, etc.

True. You would use it MORE! :)

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Proform has a deal where if you buy a 3 year iFit family membership they give you the bike for free. We got one back in January and I ride the thing all the time. You can either pay up front or monthly which is something like $40 a month.

The bike is such a great way to build and maintain cardio fitness. I got into soccer as an adult in my 40’s and quickly discovered that my foot couldn’t deal with the running necessary to train for games on top of playing games once a week on indoor fields. I’m on my feet most days at work and my middle aged body quickly shut down the idea of soccer with an awesome case of plantar fasciitis.

Since getting the bike and making that my main tool for cardio fitness, I’ve starting playing again and love how I’m feeling so far. The low impact nature of cycling really saves the beating your lower body joints take from distance running. And if you really are looking to push yourself you can crank up the resistance to give yourself an awesome workout.

Reactions: Scruff

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018

Whatever you do, sign up for an interactive app...it makes the difference, it really does. Otherwise you will dread it and never use it.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Peleton is a hard pill to swallow price wise. Everyone I know that owns one says its not about the bike, its about live instructors being vastly superior to what you're gonna get on iFit and others. We haven't bit the bullet yet, but when I do it'll be a Peleton based on those comments about actually enjoying the workout.

PS Just completed the Des Moines marathon, but it took me over 7 hours so I feel I'm still qualified to give input on your question. Also, I hate running now. You have to enjoy what you're doing or you won't do it on a consistent basis.