"Pedestrian" Purdy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He struggled some in the first half of the season but was incredible down the stretch. Our ball-control offense with a great ground game takes away some of the "flare" the lazy hot-takers like to see.

Those are the same people that probably thought ISU's offense in the Fiesta Bowl was boring.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think his performance curve on the season probably has more to do with the maturation of the WR's than anything. Lot of plays where he went through an awful lot of reads early in the season and still couldn't find anyone open. All stuff that should go much smoother next year, his play at the end of the year was elite.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I don’t think Milton is a deep threat, at least not in the traditional sense. He’s a deep threat in that he can break a 3 yard route into an 80 yard touchdown, but I don’t think he’s a traditional deep threat in that you can just bomb it long to him. I honestly don’t know if we have that guy on our team next year either. Hutch is great, but he seems to be best in that 10 yard catch, break a tackle or two and take it long kind of way. I wish Shaw could be that deep threat, but, while I’m not giving up on him, he’s gonna have to prove it at this point.
Scates has the tools to be our deep threat, but he seems to be behind on the learning curve, which is frustrating. If he takes that big jump before next season, we will have a solid deep threat instead of having to throw to Hutchison or the tight ends on every single play. That deep threat and a healthy Milton will help this offense space the ball out in the air.

great2baclone

May 7, 2014
I think we are missing a major point when it comes to the deep passing game. Yes, we need someone to step up and become a deep threat. Tarique Milton last year was able to do some of those things, but that M position which he plays now since Deshaunte graduated does not have a lot of deep routes. Is Brock capable of throwing deep accurate on time passes that lead the wr? That is also a issue. When Brock throws deep he throws a very high ball with a lot of air under it that gives any good middle safety time to get over top. He also usually under throws it. If you look at even the Scates TD pass vs WV, he underthrew that ball. Scates had to turn around to catch it. Brock needs to improve his deepball. Arm strength may not improve, but if he can throw in rhythm and has correct mechanics, then its possible for him to make an accurate deep throw. I do think his limitations as a deep passer effects our deep passing play calls more than the receivers corps not having a deep threat. We also almost always had 3 or 2 tight ends on the field which makes it easier to cover 1 or 2 fast guys in a route combo deep.

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Scates has the tools to be our deep threat, but he seems to be behind on the learning curve, which is frustrating. If he takes that big jump before next season, we will have a solid deep threat instead of having to throw to Hutchison or the tight ends on every single play. That deep threat and a healthy Milton will help this offense space the ball out in the air.
We should have several deep threat guys, in my opinion. It's nice to have the big possession WRs, but we really only need a couple of those because the TEs have that area covered. I hope we bring in more speedy guys in the near future. I don't think Milton ran a route of more than 20 yards this year, which makes no sense. I get putting him in motion can mess with a defense because of his speed, but that should only be used maybe 25% of the time. Let him go downfield and make the defense keep their safeties deep, which opens up so many different things for the offense. Even when he was healthy, Milton wasn't being used in that way.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
From the link:

"But I thought this year Brock Purdy was very pedestrian. And you can't win any Power 5 conference with just a pedestrian quarterback."

We were about 40 yards away from winning the conference (that's my recollection of where he threw the pick on the last drive). Seems to me that either a pedestrian QB can win a conference just fine or Brock Purdy is not pedestrian. 40 yards in a one score game should not define this either way.
Looking at the P5 QBs, who was better than him. I'd say Lawrence, Jones, Fields, the UNC guy, and Penix (who was hurt a bunch). Maybe the Florida guy. He was better than any QB in the PAC. I'm not going to pretend like I follow college QBs super closely but I don't think that I'm very far off.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Looking at the P5 QBs, who was better than him. I'd say Lawrence, Jones, Fields, the UNC guy, and Penix (who was hurt a bunch). Maybe the Florida guy. He was better than any QB in the PAC. I'm not going to pretend like I follow college QBs super closely but I don't think that I'm very far off.
swap Penix with Ian Book and I think that's the list. Penix had the same yards per attempt as Purdy but wasn't near the rusher. Purdy had as many yards against Oregon as Penix had all season.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Nothing like some off season sports chatter to grow the fire.

Cover 3 podcast is a joke! Those morons probably watched two ISU games all year and pretend to know anything about Purdy. Can Purdy improve with some of his decisions? Of course! I would rather have Brock Purdy for my QB then anyone else in the country.

• Winner
Reactions: Run Faster

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Brock wasn't amazing the first half of the season, he wasn't bad, just not as great as we had seen in the past. The 2nd half of the season, I think the TE/WR were more consistent and it seemed like the coaching staff took him off his leash a little and let him make plays with his feet. I get why they want to keep him in the pocket but he is most effective when he's moving. That threat has to be there.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Brock wasn't amazing the first half of the season, he wasn't bad, just not as great as we had seen in the past. The 2nd half of the season, I think the TE/WR were more consistent and it seemed like the coaching staff took him off his leash a little and let him make plays with his feet. I get why they want to keep him in the pocket but he is most effective when he's moving. That threat has to be there.
Brock is his best when It's 3rd and long and instead of trying to make a play through the air, he runs for a 1st down. Imo.

Reactions: heitclone

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Those three interceptions in the championship game signaled to me he’s not at the elite tier, but he is the best ISU QB I’ve ever seen
Hopefully, he can make that jump to elite next season. One of are receivers has got to step up as the #2 go too.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Purdy's record, especially his conference record is incredible. The guy makes clutch plays with his arm and his feet. He makes the Cyclones a much better team. Purdy is easily a top ten QB, or higher. I can not think of any current College QB that would make Iowa State better next year. We could argue that someone was as good, but could we really see a better guy behind center? What a great time to be a Cyclone.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Oklahoma keeps raking is really good players from the transfer portal. We're basically standing pat with the exception of kicker. Everybody needs to step it up if We're going to win the CCG.
Don’t discount standing pat and having these guys with the same coaches, and another year with Andrews in the weight room (which I think isn’t getting talked about enough). That, to me, can be be better than brining in new players to a different system. Granted, the players you have better be good, but you get the point.
Tennessee guys are certainly talented, but hopefully they have a little of whatever Texas players have in terms of character and grit. They are certainly coming from a similar dysfunctional environment. Don't get me wrong, you gotta take these talented kids. But if a whole group doesn't buy in and play for each other, and doesn't know how to be resilient and detail oriented. Oklahoma has always had a nice mix of borderline but not quite elite talent, who have just enough of a chip to run their stuff right, spread it around, do just enough on D and own the big 12. Playoff time? Well, formula meet brick wall. They did take a step in the big boys direction last year that D-line was a problem. Let's hope OU took a step too far this time, and they got a couple loafers and chemistry killers because Riley is no Nick Saban

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Kanell completely discredits himself as an analyst. Iowa State beat OU once and lost the CC game at the end of the game. They then return PROVEN all conference players, but he questions their ability to "compete" with the likes of Oklahoma and "cough" Texas?

Does Brock need to elevate his game some for us to be a "powerful" contender? Sure he does. He commits a lot of preventable mistakes (INTs and unnecessary sacks when he could have thrown the ball away) and he doesn't throw the best deep ball. But he's also EXCELLENT at avoiding pressure, getting out of the pocket, and making plays. He's also had an average, at best, offensive line for his entire career (toward the end of the year they were playing at an above average level). They return the entire 2 deep, have their first full year/offseason with the S&C coach, AND return a lot of experience. Breece should have more holes to run through (especially against the elite teams). Brock should have better pass protection. The play action pass could be a serious weapon if Brock has time and can improve his accuracy.

I also think our coaching staff needs to, at times, do a MUCH better job calling plays and avoiding having too many receivers on the same 'level' of the field. I can't count the number of times Brock needed to get rid of the ball yet receivers weren't even out of their breaks. You simply can't do that when having a single back/empty backfield and only using your five down lineman in pass protection. Exploit different levels and ensure your QB at least has a POTENTIAL safety valve option.

IMO Brock is likely to have a "better year" without actually improving at all. The extra pocket time alone should reduce some mistakes and breakdowns caused from pressure. If he actually improves in some areas with the expecting improvement along the line? The pundits will be raving. This doesn't even touch on the year of Purdy gets in working with Hutchinson et al on their routes. Xavier is going to have a monster year.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I like all the in depth, detailed, extensive, comprehensive, rigorous, and exhaustive research and discussion.

My two cents is I care about 3 things:

1] 32.92 points per game
2] 436.3 yards per game
3] 9 wins

How they got these numbers, I could give a rats anus. They [CMC and staff] know the system, players, and opponents better than we probably know our significant others.

Carry on with the discussion. If I came across to strong, it is probably because of my time spent on the Tennessee message board :jimlad:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Once Hutchinson emerged as a weapon the offense took off. He is a decent downfield threat, but we are still missing that jump ball type of WR (Butler type). If we have him emerge as that or someone else step up our offense takes a big step forward.

Brock had a few bad games, there is no denying that. In the LA game Hutchinson got most of the targets and dropped a bunch of passes, which of course reflects on Purdy and the team. Not having Kolar for that game really hurt too. Hopefully the WR corps and Brock will be more on the same page in 2021.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron