Peach Bowl: UCF vs Auburn 11:30 am ESPN

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Central Florida is undefeated, and has a legitimate gripe due to having been left out of CFP consideration. They are also the only team, other than Iowa State, to defeat Memphis in the 2017 season. They actually defeated Memphis twice, including a very close, very Big 12-like, AAC Championship game victory. Coach Scott Frost, captializing on his recent success, is also taking over at Nebraska for this coming season. That could be a mistake, but it will at least be a major payday for him.

Today they take on the Auburn Tigers, of the mighty SEC, in a game the experts predict Auburn will win easily. But will they? Personally, I beg to differ. If they win, and do so convincingly, I think the CFP championship for this season will be second guessed for years to come. Ironically, much like Auburns undefeated 2004 season where they were not selected for the BCS championship game. From ESPN:

Auburn stands in way of UCF's perfect season

For ISU fans, this game also offers valdation. After 2 top 5 wins this year, it took a late defensive stand to prevent the Liberty Bowl game with Memphis from slipping away following Montgomery's controversial fumble at the goal line late in the 4Q. Instead, it was a narrow victory over a team that was much better all around team (run defense in particular) than most of us thought. But how will Memphis be perceived nationally once the season is wrapped up? That hinges on UCF's performance against Auburn today.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Part of me wants UCF to beat down an SEC team but it would be great to see how Husker fans continue to tip toe around the fact that UCF plays no defense. I've already heard how he'll bring the blackshirts back to their glory days, I think he'll do well there but his teams look more like the Oregon teams he coached rather than the Husker teams he played on.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Considering the other no offense game going right now this one seems more interesting. Will be rooting for UCF.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I must be some kind of moron to never have seen the story of UCF's key player with one hand. I watch a lot of college football (admittedly not UCF) and they talk about a lot of nonsense and somehow I never caught this?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I've been impressed with both UCF and Memphis D-line. That is an area as we know that is hard to recruit and very important. Auburn tackles could be called for a couple holdings as well.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I must be some kind of moron to never have seen the story of UCF's key player with one hand. I watch a lot of college football (admittedly not UCF) and they talk about a lot of nonsense and somehow I never caught this?
He’s a freaking stud. His brother was on the team with him year or 2 ago & is a DB now with Seattle I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
FWIW Memphis played these guys to 2OT where neither team could stop the other just a few weeks ago. We beat TCU who looks like they deserved BCS bowl more than others. We beat OU who is in the playoff.

Our team was not that far off from this level. Probably closer than some of the Pac 12 teams with better records that got exposed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
UCF has some mojo going. This game reminds me a little of the unbeaten Utah vs Alabama game a few years back, although I think that Utah team was a legit NC caliber team and not sure about UCF.

Should be fun.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Part of me wants UCF to beat down an SEC team but it would be great to see how Husker fans continue to tip toe around the fact that UCF plays no defense. I've already heard how he'll bring the blackshirts back to their glory days, I think he'll do well there but his teams look more like the Oregon teams he coached rather than the Husker teams he played on.

Apparently the cure for defensive woes is facing an SEC offense

• Winner
Reactions: heitclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I watched a high school game this fall and saw a punter with a full arm and other arm cut off at the elbow.

These kinds of things embody college football much more than Tim Tebow screaming like a frat boy about his SEC friends.

Go UCF. Frost may be going to NeBroska but I appreciate him staying with his team. Sounds like he took care of his staff too.

• Winner
Reactions: HFCS

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The SEC isn't going to score a single touchdown in any of the first halves of the bowl games this morning.

Reactions: StratCY

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
At the half, it's UCF 13, Auburn 6, even though Auburn owns the T.O.P. 21 minutes to 9 minutes. The Tigers have scored 2 FGs on clock munching 14+ play drives, including a lot of peek-and-poke passing, along with persistent running attempts. They lead in rushing attempts 26 to 15, but are getting only 1.7 yards per rush.

Folks, this UCF defense is for real. Just like we learned with Memphis on Saturday, I think we can conclude that they play a little bit of ball in the AAC.