Paul Rhoads get some respect from Kirk Bohls

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No doubt that is what did him in...but from the day he was hired there was a strong/vocal portion of their fanbase and members of the athletic department that were against him because he was not in the Bo Schembechler (sp?) coaching tree.

Definitely if he came out and won the B10 twice in a row he would still be there today!

For sure there was skepticism about RR at the start - but there is the same skepticism about Brady Hoke.
If RR had had success, no one would have cared if he was from the Bo mold or not.
OU tried hiring from the Switzer coaching tree, and finally gave up. Do Sooner fans care if Stoops is an outsider?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
For sure there was skepticism about RR at the start - but there is the same skepticism about Brady Hoke.
If RR had had success, no one would have cared if he was from the Bo mold or not.
OU tried hiring from the Switzer coaching tree, and finally gave up. Do Sooner fans care if Stoops is an outsider?

I will agree there is skepticism with Hoke but it's different. People were ready to fire RR. Hoke will be given certain leeway because of the perceived lack of players. That's also BS. Hoke has an advantage in terms of personnel over when RR started. The old time Michigan fans will still refuse to acknowledge that Lloyd left holes for RR to fill in. Also, let it be known that when people were calling for Carr's head, I disagreed.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I agree with this. Had he won, it would have turned. He didn't and a large amount of the fan base really never gave him a chance IMO. From the moment he was hired there were people who disliked him. The losing then made it worse. He wasn't a "Michigan Man" which is such complete ******** anyway.

Whenever ESPN mentioned Michigan looking for a "Michigan Man," I thought of this clip from South Park.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA63Ln5xbDk]YouTube - ‪Alabama Man - English.flv‬‏[/ame]

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I will agree there is skepticism with Hoke but it's different. People were ready to fire RR. Hoke will be given certain leeway because of the perceived lack of players. That's also BS. Hoke has an advantage in terms of personnel over when RR started. The old time Michigan fans will still refuse to acknowledge that Lloyd left holes for RR to fill in. Also, let it be known that when people were calling for Carr's head, I disagreed.

I don't agree that Hoke has all this talent waiting for him. Maybe on offense, but not on D. For sure, he will demand more physicality from his players on both sides of the line, and everywhere else on defense too.
I'm a huge Hoke fan, and believe Brandon lucked into this hire. Hoke took an absolute disaster of a program in Bowling Green and turned them into a bully. Same at SDSU with the mess that Chuck Long left.
He isn't Harbaugh, but Michigan has themselves an excellent coach.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I don't agree that Hoke has all this talent waiting for him. Maybe on offense, but not on D. For sure, he will demand more physicality from his players on both sides of the line, and everywhere else on defense too.
I'm a huge Hoke fan, and believe Brandon lucked into this hire. Hoke took an absolute disaster of a program in Bowling Green and turned them into a bully. Same at SDSU with the mess that Chuck Long left.

I think you meant Ball State.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

First, it was Ball State and second, yes, there is talent. More talent than RR had when he got there. The sad thing is that if the defense is turned around next year, it will be all about Hoke and Mattison when RR brought in the guys.

How do you figure he lucked into getting Hoke? The guy would coach there for free. Luck would have been getting Harbaugh who, btw, I don't think would have started off this well. He wouldn't have hired Mattison and that is the one thing that Hoke has done which gained him a lot.

This is not meant to slam Hoke at all. I think he is doing an awesome job, however, the misinformation about the personnel RR got to Ann Arbor needs to stop.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
one of Pauls relatives works with my wife.

There has been preliminary contact at this point. She did not know how serious OSU is. He'd be a good fit-clean as snow and a proven motivator.

Lets face it, they dont need a great coach. They get the talent. They need an image guy who can motivate.

Here comes the ban hammer...

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
As long as Rhoads coaches at ISU he gets to spend his time with his parents during their twilight years. Thats gotta account for something,

Also considering his mother has Alzheimer's that may play a role as well. Perhaps Paul is a major supportive force that his dad needs to have around right now.

Could Rhoads leave? Yes, but I gotta believe it would have to be one hefty carrot that gets dangled out there for him to leave Iowa State.

Also I don't foresee OSU hiring a new coach anytime soon as they really need to stick with the interim they have in place as they prepare for the upcoming season.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
In today's Austin American Statesman, Kirk Bohls suggests that Ohio State hire either Urban Meyer or Paul Rhoads. Hopefully, he would not be interested.

"Whom should the Buckeyes hire as Tressel's successor? Whom should they avoid? Whom will they hire?Bohls: If they haven't already hired Urban Meyer — how do you not? — they should hire Paul Rhoads and not look back. The 44-year-old Iowa State head coach, who once was a GA under John Cooper at Ohio State, is the best-kept secret in college football. How many coaches win in their first trips to Lincoln and Austin and come within a completion to a wide-open receiver on a gutsy, two-point try of posting back-to-back wins over mighty Nebraska? Short of hiring Meyer or Rhoads, the Buckeyes should hire Washington's Steve Sarkisian."

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so maybe it has already been said and I missed it, but I see the Austin newspaper article as a positive: The Horn media and fans are afraid of a rising Cyclone program, and want Rhoads gone now. We got em on the run, enjoy the Horny fear! Go Cyclones!!

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
here's what OSU fans think about it:

BuckeyeGrove.com - Message Boards
Good to see a ******** Iowa fan is the first to post.

I think most OSU fans would want Fickell to keep the job. He is one of their own. They'll probably make excuses to keep him if he struggles. If he does well then they might as well keep him, also sanctions won't run the guy off.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
In today's Austin American Statesman, Kirk Bohls suggests that Ohio State hire either Urban Meyer or Paul Rhoads. Hopefully, he would not be interested.

"Whom should the Buckeyes hire as Tressel's successor? Whom should they avoid? Whom will they hire?Bohls: If they haven't already hired Urban Meyer — how do you not? — they should hire Paul Rhoads and not look back. The 44-year-old Iowa State head coach, who once was a GA under John Cooper at Ohio State, is the best-kept secret in college football. How many coaches win in their first trips to Lincoln and Austin and come within a completion to a wide-open receiver on a gutsy, two-point try of posting back-to-back wins over mighty Nebraska? Short of hiring Meyer or Rhoads, the Buckeyes should hire Washington's Steve Sarkisian."

Saul Rhoads is the perfect candidate
crap CPR was a grad assistant at O$U

Because it's never happened before...

Earle Bruce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:skeptical:

you think hiring Jim Tressel away from Youngstown State was a splash hire? They would come in triple his salary and we'd be searching for another coach.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s]YouTube - ‪Darth Vader NO!‬‏[/ame]

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It has also been reported that Earl Bruce has said it was a big mistake to leave ISU. Not everyone is about power and money, some people believe in honor and commitment. There are also big downsides to being at a place like Ohio State.

Like having to live in Ohio. Worst state ever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron