Parcells played the birds to swim with the fish?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Dolphins are going to fire Cam already? The Doplhins problem is they have pretty much stunk up every draft for the past 10 years. They have 2 good players on that entire team, and they are getting old.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
To me, it just seems like Bill Parcells would be going there to handle personnell decisions to help build that team back up. Bill Parcells is excellent at that.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I honestly really didn't want Parcells in Atlanta anyway...

EDIT: Proof I'm not just emulating a Hawk fan - from 7:45 this morning

As the resident Falcons fan I don't get warm fuzzies about this either. Excluding what he did with the Giants, the guy has shown the tendency to bolt either when he gets a better offer (left the Patriots for the Jets) or when the going gets tough (the Jets and the Cowboys). Plus his presence alone leaves the chemistry of the organization unbalanced, and by the time he leaves it's in upheaval. I like the guy's football mind, but the last thing the Falcons need at this point is someone who might leave the place more talented but overall in more disarray than it already is.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I don't understand your opinion, jdoggivjc. What situation has he either not win in or not left the team in better shape than it was before? The Cowboys don't have the season they're having if it's not for Bill Parcells.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
I thought it was best these days to have Dolphin-Free Tuna..... WTF?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't understand your opinion, jdoggivjc. What situation has he either not win in or not left the team in better shape than it was before? The Cowboys don't have the season they're having if it's not for Bill Parcells.

Mostly referring to his stints with the Patriots and the Jets. He basically quit the Patriots to join the Jets, and he went from God to Satan in the mere minutes it took for him to go Benedict Arnold on them. Only to spend a couple of years with the Jets, and retired saying that he was tired of football. Only to join the Cowpokes a couple of years later, and he lasted a couple of years then, but retired because he got tired of football. Only to sit on the sidelines a couple of years and now he's looking for another project. Yes, he left behind success in New England, but that's only because they then picked up Bellicheck. The Jets have had two different head coaches since (what kind of person ditches the Jets for the Chiefs?) and mixed successes with both those coaches. He had some success in Dallas - Romo was a coup and he himself made that TO thing work.

From my perspective, the Falcons need a lot of work throughout the organization - not just the roster but in the management positions as well. The last thing the Falcons need is a GM-type that got bored in retirement and decided to pick up a new project, only after a year or two decides that he's either bored or the task at hand is too difficult and decides to go into retirement again. I mean, after all, precedent says that's going to happen. The Falcons need someone in there that's going to be working for the team for the long haul, as fixing what's wrong with the Falcons is not going to be quick or easy. Parcells is not that guy.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Dolphins are going to fire Cam already? The Doplhins problem is they have pretty much stunk up every draft for the past 10 years. They have 2 good players on that entire team, and they are getting old.

Read the article...he's not looking to be a coach - instead a front office guy.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I respect your opinion jdoggivjc, but I don't agree. I think he'd be a fantastic hire. At each of his stops, he either experienced the success himself or he left the team in better position than when he got there. For both Atlanta and Miami, it appears anything might be better than the status quo.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I respect your opinion jdoggivjc, but I don't agree. I think he'd be a fantastic hire. At each of his stops, he either experienced the success himself or he left the team in better position than when he got there. For both Atlanta and Miami, it appears anything might be better than the status quo.

I think if the Falcons (or the Dolphins, for that matter) were a couple of pieces away from being a complete puzzle, much like the Cowboys were, yeah, then I'd agree. He'd be an excellent hire in that scenario. The problems are that the Falcons (and the Dolphins) organization is nowhere close to being a "quick fix" and back to playoff-caliber performance, and Parcells has shown lately that he gets bored with what he's working on, and because he wouldn't be around long enough to complete what would be for all purposes major reconstruction in Atlanta. That, and you have to remember that the Falcons are working with limited cap space, so they can't just go out and sign whatever free agent that they want in this offseason to try to be competitive next year. The Falcons are going to be a team that takes years to recover from the Vick problem, and I just can't imagine Parcells sticking around for more than a year or two to rebuild a very fractured organization.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I think if the Falcons (or the Dolphins, for that matter) were a couple of pieces away from being a complete puzzle, much like the Cowboys were, yeah, then I'd agree. He'd be an excellent hire in that scenario. The problems are that the Falcons (and the Dolphins) organization is nowhere close to being a "quick fix" and back to playoff-caliber performance, and Parcells has shown lately that he gets bored with what he's working on, and because he wouldn't be around long enough to complete what would be for all purposes major reconstruction in Atlanta. That, and you have to remember that the Falcons are working with limited cap space, so they can't just go out and sign whatever free agent that they want in this offseason to try to be competitive next year. The Falcons are going to be a team that takes years to recover from the Vick problem, and I just can't imagine Parcells sticking around for more than a year or two to rebuild a very fractured organization.

The Cowboys weren't a couple pieces away from contending, though. Not even close. They were coming off of three consecutive 5-11 seasons. They had no QB or RB. Bledsoe and Romo were both brought in by Parcells. Julius Jones and Marion Barber were, too. As were Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, and TO (that was more Jerry Jones, I think). He brought in three new starters to the OL. And eight of the 11 current defensive starters were all brought in by Bill. There are four (Andre Gorode, Roy Williams, Flozell Adams, Greg Ellis) players on the current roster that were with the Cowboys when Bill Parcells took over.

Didn't mean to give you a history lesson, but it kind of hit a nerve with me to say that the Cowboys were a couple pieces away from contending when Bill got there.

I think if Bill's health and patience allowed him to be somewhere for five years at his next stop, the team who hires him will benefit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron