Pac-12 to decide whether to expand within a couple weeks

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
BIG and PAC are currently in negotiations...Both Leagues gor are up in 2023.. They are not gonna sign off on anew TV deal then expand. They would have to expand soon to understand the full value of the conferences tv rights..

The big 12 is expanding and moving forward.

They may, but it would be fairly effortless to negotiate clauses with the understanding that they're going to expand, and these are the likely teams.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
PAC is 2024-2025 I thought. B1G is 2023-2024. I’m fairly confident after those seasons, rights will be expiring. I might be wrong and am too lazy to look it up.
You both might be saying same thing, but to clarify. Big10's current deal ends after 2022/23 FY, Pac12's end after 2023/24 and Big12's end after 2024/25.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
As most of us said for a while now. There is NOTHING they can say except "we aren't expanding at this time" if any potential expansion plans were to include the Big 12.

Does this mean the WILL expand? No. There will be two trigger points that will likely influence the PAC 12, ACC and Big 10 to re-evaluate expansion. The first big one is having clarity on the legal issues of OU, UT and ESPN.

There are no schools of the remaining that can afford to put themselves in a GoR bind, as they will be asked by any of these conferences to forgo some media rights for a period. So there can be no expansion with remaining Big 12 teams until the current GoR mess with UT and OU is clear.

This was the ONLY thing that could be said.

This statement was 100% predictable, and the poor conclusions and panic drawn from it is as well.

Everybody needs to chill out. ESPN has incredible motivation to get a majority of the remaining teams placed into power conferences or help ensure a new Big 12 is at a power conference level with access to CFP, likely autobid in a 12 team scenario.

Head on over and spend some time in the Wanstadt thread as that seems to be where it has been discussed. That's probably a sentence that has never been typed in the history of mankind.

I agree with all of this except that the triggers are for them to re-evaluate expansion. The trigger will be to implement expansion. The PAC, B1G, and ACC have already identified who will get invites and to where. The alliance is to prevent cannibalizing each other and a mad dash to grab the remaining teams and the chaos that would create. The announcements that they are not expanding and the creation of a Big 12 expansion committee are to pressure OuT into negotiating by raising the possibility that they will have to stick it out until the end of GoR, like a high stakes game of chicken. If you view it as a response by Fox and the other conferences to counter the power grab by ESPN/SEC, all of the actions have been 100% predictable and in alignment with this scenario.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I agree with all of this except that the triggers are for them to re-evaluate expansion. The trigger will be to implement expansion. The PAC, B1G, and ACC have already identified who will get invites and to where. The alliance is to prevent cannibalizing each other and a mad dash to grab the remaining teams and the chaos that would create. The announcements that they are not expanding and the creation of a Big 12 expansion committee are to pressure OuT into negotiating by raising the possibility that they will have to stick it out until the end of GoR, like a high stakes game of chicken. If you view it as a response by Fox and the other conferences to counter the power grab by ESPN/SEC, all of the actions have been 100% predictable and in alignment with this scenario.
Yes I agree, though I think the triggers are more for appearance and there’s probably continued evaluation of expansion options. I think the alliance may also include some parsing of teams in an effort to not be competing against one another, enabling the Big 10, PAC and ACC to get max concessions in media rights from the schools they take on.

In the end nothing changes the two most important factors. 1. The ACC has possibly the worst college sports media deal of all time, and they need to get out of it. 2. The PAC is in bad financial shape not because they negotiated poorly but because they have an undesirable product. They need to fix that or die.

The Big 10 is going to be behind the SEC in football no matter what, so they could stand pat or try to get a couple more teams for inventory and try to become THE premier academic and all-around athletic conference. Either way they are still in good shape. They may want the PAC and ACC to be legit conferences they can partner with vs the SEC so they want them to be solid. They also may want as many schools “on their side” without taking them on, so they encourage the PAC and ACC to expand. We will see.

• Agree
Reactions: Ozclone and Cloneon

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
BIG and PAC are currently in negotiations...Both Leagues gor are up in 2023.. They are not gonna sign off on anew TV deal then expand. They would have to expand soon to understand the full value of the conferences tv rights..

The big 12 is expanding and moving forward.
Since we're all throwing paint at the wall, let's really make some abstract art. Amazon-8. Schedule top AND bottom tier OOC games with SEC, B1G, Pac12, ACC. Increase CFP to 8 (1 per P5) with 3 play in games. With Amazon's marketing, the A8 will be the premiere player as it'll become the measuring stick of conference power during the season, boost viewing for all conferences, and make for a hell of a playoff. Boy, this was fun, and I'll bet one no one else thought of. I'll take my blind fold off now and leave the building. ;)

Edited: I went off the cuff with this, but the more I dive into this radical approach, the more it can make sense. Amazon can enter cheaply, buy into other conferences schedule with stipulation each A8 has 1 top tier or 1 bottom tier game with each respective conference. Since there are 4 conferences, that'd make 2 games against another conference per year. The games would be 'dynamic' from year to year to allow that 'tiered' approach. Covid taught us we can schedule things without having to go out years. Amazon can leverage their weight to make this happen. It'd give exposure for Amazon across the entire market and allow them to 'expand' their membership into those markets on a PPV basis while at the same time expanding their Amazon merchandizing. This is an ideal situation for Amazon to enter this market, great for CFB, and especially the R8 (aka Amazon-8)

Last edited:
Reactions: jcyclonee

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Pollard is on the B12 expansion committe. Not sure we have a landing spot...

He's probably on the committee because he's been 1) at ISU for a long time (Maybe even the longest tenured current Big 12 AD), and 2) recently named President of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, so this gives him more opportunities to talk to decision makers in other conferences. But nonetheless, through his recent executive committees at the NCAA level, he seems to be respected among his peers.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Seems like if the big12 was going to bring Oliver Luck it wouldn't be to do a relatively simple task as expanding by adding a couple of schools. Seems like either he's negotiating with other conferences to find landing spots or the conference expansion may include going after bigger fish. Pac12 schools may see an opportunity to make about the same money and also raise their profile by playing in the central time zone and if they join maybe keeps Big12 as power 5. I know this is a stretch but I've got to believe Luck is here to work on something big and not to figure out if we should add Cincinnati.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Seems like if the big12 was going to bring Oliver Luck it wouldn't be to do a relatively simple task as expanding by adding a couple of schools. Seems like either he's negotiating with other conferences to find landing spots or the conference expansion may include going after bigger fish. Pac12 schools may see an opportunity to make about the same money and also raise their profile by playing in the central time zone and if they join maybe keeps Big12 as power 5. I know this is a stretch but I've got to believe Luck is here to work on something big and not to figure out if we should add Cincinnati.
You wouldn’t need Oliver to add BYU, Cincy, UCF, etc. A phone call from Bowlsby to them would suffice. Oliver is being brought in to facilitate conversations with other conferences.

Legend12

May 9, 2008

Are you aware that people can watch games outside of their own time zone?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Are you aware that people can watch games outside of their own time zone?
Well, people in the PAC don't watch games within their own time zone.

It's more about getting people that actually give a **** about CFB included in your conference so people will watch the games.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
You wouldn’t need Oliver to add BYU, Cincy, UCF, etc. A phone call from Bowlsby to them would suffice. Oliver is being brought in to facilitate conversations with other conferences.

It would be a significant ethical breach for a Big12 agent/employee to do this. Agent duties are to the organization, not the member institutions.

If there are conversations about joining other conferences that would have to be by school reps, not Big12 reps.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Even though the Pac has some bluebloods, it's not enough to save the conference.... They are a national afterthought around the country. The folks on the west coast have many other opportunities to do things on saturdays that watch college football. They do need to consider expanding into the central time zone.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

The most well thought out and on point post in this entire thread. Well said, sir!

Reactions: Klubber

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron