Pac-12 getting rid of Divisions to determine FB Title Game

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
East/West divisions, 2014-present:

Indiana2014 (H)2015 (A)2018 (A)2021 (H)
Maryland2014 (A)2015 (H)2018 (H)2021 (A)
Michigan2016 (H)2019 (A)2020 (H*)2022 (H)
Michigan State2017 (A)2020 (H)
Ohio State2017 (H)2022 (A)
Penn State2016 (A)2017 (H)2018 (A)2019 (H)2020 (A)2021 (H)
Rutgers2016 (A)2019 (H)2022 (A)
WOW

Since 2014. No games at OSU. 1 at Michigan. 5 road games at MD, RU, and IU over the same period...

What does Barta have on the people who schedule games??? Did they kill someone and he knows?

• Agree
Reactions: Yaz

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Since 2014 when they split East/West and including the upcoming season:

Ohio State: 2
Penn State: 5
Michigan: 3 plus 2021 title game
Michigan State: 3 plus 2015 title game
That's a pathetic schedule.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'd like to see the B12 be really clever/aggressive and do the first conference playoff. Say the top 4 go to a playoff in-conference. It'd be some nice add'l TV revenue!

Reactions: cyfan92

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
ISU, KSU, KU
WVU, UCF, Cincy
OSU, Tech, Houston
BYU, Baylor, TCU

Those are more than fair for everyone and maintains geography and rivals.

I think it is important to create rivalries, so I would go beyond 3 team protected rivals. Create 5 annual games for each team within its group and then play 4 teams from the other group annually on a 2 year home/road cycle. I would go with:

ISU, KSU, KU, OSU, Cincy, WVU
Tech, Baylor, Houston, TCU, BYU, USF

That would allow the 4 historical Big8 teams to play every year and allow the 4 Texas schools to play every year. Pairing Cincy & WVU creates a close geographic rival for each program.

Personally, I would love to have BYU on our schedule, but having them play TT every year makes the most sense.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think it is important to create rivalries, so I would go beyond 3 team protected rivals. Create 5 annual games for each team within its group and then play 4 teams from the other group annually on a 2 year home/road cycle. I would go with:

That would allow the 4 historical Big8 teams to play every year and allow the 4 Texas schools to play every year. Pairing Cincy & WVU creates a close geographic rival for each program.

Personally, I would love to have BYU on our schedule, but having them play TT every year makes the most sense.

I assume you are winking at us, because this is literally 2 divisions of 6.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I assume you are winking at us, because this is literally 2 divisions of 6.

Two groups of 6 protected rivals, but no divisions. Just like today, the 2 teams with the best records play in CCG.

The reality is, with a 12 team conference and playing 9 conference games- ISU will not play only 2 teams each FB season. I just feel the more common teams we play every year, better chance of creating rivalries.

I wouldn't lose any sleep with:
Group 1 - ISU, KSU, KU & OSU
Group 2- Cincy, WVU, USF & TCU
Group 3 - Baylor, Houston, TT & BYU

And then not play 1 team from the other 2 groups.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The wild-hair option is to do a 4 team CCG somehow, for novelty/interest/cash. Maybe you do the 8 game schedule, and the 9th week is the semis for the top 4 teams, and the other 8 play each other for grins as week 9. It's messy, but worth looking into, imho, given the potential revenue needs for the Big12.
Two simultaneous games, played on fields that overlap in an X pattern. Imagine the ratings!

Reactions: CascadeClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
That is my EXACT thoughts as well.

North has no football power but is strongest for basketball

East is all the schools in the Eastern time zone. Good for early TV slots. Cincy is a football power. Weakest
basketball pod

South is good in both major sports. Probably the hardest pod

Religious pod makes scheduling easier as private institutions. Also breaks up Texas schools and reunites BYU and TCU.
You passed up the chance at God Pod?!?

Reactions: CascadeClone

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

1.) **** divisions.
2.) OSU will not go for that. They want as many games in Texas as possible

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'd like to see the B12 be really clever/aggressive and do the first conference playoff. Say the top 4 go to a playoff in-conference. It'd be some nice add'l TV revenue!
YES!! 8 regular season games. 9th conference game is a playoff of the top 4 teams in each 3 team pod. Winners go to the CCG.

MEANINGFUL Football in week 13!!

Reactions: TXCyclones

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I selfishly want whatever maximizes our games against the old Big 8 members. I think history and nostalgia and tradition are important in major college football.

Would be cool if they're able to make this happen in the near future to get that fix before the whole thing dismantles.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Those two are a bit more complicated as the conference is so large that the unbalanced schedules could have more to do with determining the selections than the quality of teams. So if Georgia can get a schedule that doesn't include Alabama, LSU, or A&M then they're going to be able to rack up a nice record. Where as a school that has to play all of those teams will be at a disadvantage.(TEXAS I hope they schedule screw them into a .500 record)

For the PAC, it seems unclear how they'll address schedules with this new system. While unbalanced schedules are possible, it isn't as prevalent as with a 14 or 16 team league.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My biggest complaint with CCGs - or any championship game really - is the potential for rematches. I'd rather see two teams who haven't played yet.

I'd also prefer to see all conference tie breakers be based on conference games only. Who you played out of conference shouldn't matter for the conference championship (though that IS important for the natty).

So really I'd rather see either 10 team conferences where you play everybody in a 9 game schedule, or 18+ team conferences where you play only your division in an 8 game schedule and then the division winners, who haven't played each other yet, play in a "true" CCG. Either way, all conference champs go to the CFP with as many at large teams as people want to fill out the bracket without any byes.