Outdoor Track - Cyclones qualify 10 NCAA Championships

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
It was justified to let him go IMO. Suds- I think Jamie likes him- not sure letting him go happens or not- depends on what JP goes after. He spoke with Dave Smith when he hired Martin. I cannot see Dave leaving all of the talent that he has assembled in Stillwater. I still call Mike Smith at NAU and see if he will talk. Hiring Mark Carroll makes some sense as well.

I think you call Eric Heins who initially assembled the NAU squad that won the first (in 2016) of their 4 national titles in the past five years before handing it off to Mike Smith. Heins left the job at age 39 to follow his wife to Houston where she took a teaching supervisor job at the space center. Not sure what he's doing now but he warrants a call.

• Winner
Reactions: Land Shark

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I think you call Eric Heins who initially assembled the NAU squad that won the first (in 2016) of their 4 national titles in the past five years before handing it off to Mike Smith. Heins left the job at age 39 to follow his wife to Houston where she took a teaching supervisor job at the space center. Not sure what he's doing now but he warrants a call.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Knowing JP, he probably already knows the 2-3 people he wants to interview.
I would guess he is also talking to coaches about their thoughts on Sudbury and Rudolph. I think he likes both of them a great deal. Won't shock me if Rudolph's husband joins a staff here.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Out of curiosity I looked up and see that Andrea Grove-McDonough is at Toledo now after they blew up the whole thing at North Carolina. That move sure didn't work out for her, really bad timing to get caught up in that.

• Informative
Reactions: Tornado man

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Out of curiosity I looked up and see that Andrea Grove-McDonough is at Toledo now after they blew up the whole thing at North Carolina. That move sure didn't work out for her, really bad timing to get caught up in that.

what happened at NC?

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Much will come out soon. The pieces are still in place to be a national title contender this fall if things fall right. Time is critical on this for that to happen

in cross country? Or track? I’m assuming cross. Does Kurgat still have eligibility?

I wonder if Martin ever told Kiptoo to go out slower. Especially to save himself in those Big12 races

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
what happened at NC?

They hired a big stud coach from Stanford and booted everyone. I think Grove-McDonough just kinda walked into it and was collateral damage without any real chance to have proved herself. Sort of a **** move, lure someone away and a year later can everyone in the program.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
How attractive a job is this at a school like ISU? Yes there is an AD in place here who is a T/F fan, but our facilities are average at best, and we're a northern school. Is there another Bill Bergan out there? I doubt it.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
How attractive a job is this at a school like ISU? Yes there is an AD in place here who is a T/F fan, but our facilities are average at best, and we're a northern school. Is there another Bill Bergan out there? I doubt it.

A nearly brand new outdoor complex, a top tier 300m indoor track, and a national caliber irrigated XC course = "average at best". Sorry but that's not even close

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A nearly brand new outdoor complex, a top tier 300m indoor track, and a national caliber irrigated XC course = "average at best". Sorry but that's not even close
I have to agree here. I watched the XC national championship meet and I thought the course they ran on was terrible compared to the ISU course. I grew up in Iowa so I am familiar with running on gravel roads but that isn't where a national championship meet should be contested.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
OK the track is "new" - but it's just an average track nothing special - would certainly not call it a recruiting tool. And there are tons of big indoor tracks now like ours. This isn't 20 years ago. Yes the cross country course is nice. Is that an ace in the hole in getting track talent?

Last edited:

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
fair question- northern schools don't host meets very often anymore, if at all. As long as you have a good training surface, you have yourself a good facility. Personally, I hate the Lied but the upgrades make it pretty decent. It is only one of two in the Big 12 that can host a meet if that tells you anything. The course is great and my friends all think it is time to add the baseball and softball fields that are now club space to the course. That would make it among the top 5 in the land. Just put clubs sports out at Brookside or something (nobody cares anyway).

ISU has one of the country's great traditions in cross and track. We have recent success in both for both genders and we pay very well.

Let me put it this way- we are a far more desirable job in track and cross than we are for wrestling, WBB or volleyball at this time.

I hope we give it to Suds, add an older, mature coach like Amy Rudolph's husband and I think we still have one spot we could fill (or so I am told).

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron