OU wants Beebe gone

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
How about Dr. Gregory Geoffroy as the new Big 12 commissioner? He'll be moving out of the Knoll very soon. It's crazy enough that it could almost work. Unfortunately, I think he's looking forward to retiring.

OK, now I'm starting to think that this isn't so crazy. GG could be the interim commissioner until a permanent one is selected. Who would be more trusted by the other schools and who would be a bigger advocate for equality than GG?

Last edited:

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
The ESPN story goes beyond the OU story and adds this about MU -
"Apparently [the SEC has] come to us," the Missouri booster said, according to the Star. "I've been told there is an offer on the table."

That would be inconsistent with the legal position of the SEC with respect to initiating contact. Also, I don't see Deaton acting to bring everyone to the table to hammer out a new deal while negotiating a back door deal for himself.

ESPN has not been a very good source of information - they seem to have no journalistic standards about the quality of their information. Also, if the OU story is true, ESPN was party to shennanigans with the LHN and FOX.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Personally, I'm all for Beebe getting the ax. Way too much letting TX do whatever.

I think OU's concern's are selfish but valid. They were sitting at the right hand of the king for quite some time reaping the benefit of King TX's decisions without being in the forefront as much. But now with Texas seemingly getting some distance between themselves and OU in the revenue game, OU is saying "Oh hell no".

I think selfish but could definitely be the thing that balances the scales a little in this league. Something that definitely needs to happen if we are going to survive and add members, otherwise if I am any school outside the big 12 looking in, I say no thanks.

In summary, I don't OU is necessarily "going to bat" for us little guys but we may end up getting more even treatment. I like it.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Oh yes please get rid of this commish. Having equality is what will stabilize a conference, SEC, BIG 10, PAC 12 all do this and is anyone leaving there respected conference? NO. Maybe Rebecacy is possibly on to something, but to early to tell. Beebe has been a huge problem the past 5 years I say and now look at what has happened.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
See ya! Beebs.

I have an uncle that lives in a Evid Oklahoma, and he told me that a month ago it was hands down 100% of the fan base wanted to go to the PAC12 conference (he is an OU fan), but he said that now there are some who realize that the travel to go to games, the time at which the games are played, and the fact that Texas was coming to the conference as well tamed back some of the excitement about it all. (They really REALLY REALLY hate Texas down there)

He said he guesses that its about 50/50 of realistic fans that want to go to the PAC12, the others reconsidered not really thinking about all the logistics of it all.

Also an important point to note, he said that alot of the LOCAL media is staying rather nuetral (BIG12 vs PAC12) as if the decision hasn't really been made down there. IF you listen to Collin COWTERD who spent all day today bashing ISU by name in his radio program you get the feeling that ESPN wants the BIG12 to fail, could this be because the Contract they have with Texas and the LHN is not doing well and if they went to the PAC12 they could re-negotiate the contract????

IF you listen to the radio keep in mind the NATIONAL media isn't really the full picture of the pulse that is in Oklahoma and Texas.

daphins

Jun 9, 2010
**** that! OU can take a hike!! We need to stand by our commissioner! The minute we let a school kick out a figurehead like Beebe all he'll breaks loose!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
How about Dr. Gregory Geoffroy as the new Big 12 commissioner? He'll be moving out of the Knoll very soon. It's crazy enough that it could almost work. Unfortunately, I think he's looking forward to retiring.

He'll still be at ISU in the Chemistry Department. He has expressed returning to a faculty roll when he announced his "retirement" from the President position. I'd bet he takes a 1-year sabbatical to get out of the way of a new President establishing himself and then returns to the Chemistry Department.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
If that was the intent of the article, then it was a complete and utter failure, and whoever is developing this "stratgey" to force UT's hand (as you keep suggesting) has made another huge blunder. As you can see, most everyone is focusing on the comments about Beebe, and not on the equity issues.

What the article said about Beebe was quite accusatory, and those comments cannot be swept away. The comments from the "sources" basically blame him for the NU departure and other inappropriate activity (fixing the meeting agendas in UT's failure). If those things are really true, the university presidents (including Boren and Loftin) look like idiots for not firing him. And if they don't fire him should the new reformed Big 12 survive, they'll look even worse. Every president is going to get questioned about those accusations.

First -- the article is just another article and all reporters take a different slant but here is a quote of the lead sentence:

"The University of Oklahoma is considering remaining in the Big 12, but only in a “reformedâ€￾ version of the conference that includes hard and fast rules for Texas' ---- it goes on to talk about the need for equity throughout (including the LHN) and how Beebe allowed Texas to run ripshod. It's not Beebe, it is what Beebe allowed to happen in Texas's favor that is the critical message. The past is the past, what is important is the problem has been brought out and will now be fixed regardless of what Texas wants. The President's will be fine, "our hands were tied due to Texas's basically running the show. Thanks to OU for bringing it out so we can now fix it."

Second, the fact that everyone on this site is focusing on Beebe and not the equity issue does not surprise me in the least. Most are clueless. Just watch them bounce and react to the latest tweet by some clueless twit. If not getting the folks on this board to clearly understand the shot that was just fired across Texas's bow is a huge blunder I'll take it. The people that matter understand the picture loud and clear. Austin we have a problem. Perhaps your just ****** that Boren and OU did exactly what I said they would.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I think it will be someone from ISU but not GG -- the guy who was the mastermind in getting texas in line and keeping the conference together will get the job. He's done about all he can here save the SEZ. Getting OU to do what they are doing was not easy,................. repairing and soothing the egos in this league as it comes back together will not be easy either. I'm certain our TV deals will be much better than anything a Texas controlled Beebe could do - and that will be his finally legacy to ISU, the TV money that builds the SEZ. The only questions remaining now are if A&M will be invited back and who the new teams (to get us to 12) will be. Texas has got to fold now and play right.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
If there were so many problems with Beebe before, they were idiots for extending him.
In less than a month or so it won't matter. He will be gone and no one will care. The Presidents will look like hero's for keeping the conference together, creating equity and inviting in some very desirable new teams. Might even be starting on the Big xii network by then.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I think it will be someone from ISU but not GG -- the guy who was the mastermind in getting texas in line and keeping the conference together will get the job. He's done about all he can here save the SEZ. Getting OU to do what they are doing was not easy,................. repairing and soothing the egos in this league as it comes back together will not be easy either. I'm certain our TV deals will be much better than anything a Texas controlled Beebe could do - and that will be his finally legacy to ISU, the TV money that builds the SEZ. The only questions remaining now are if A&M will be invited back and who the new teams (to get us to 12) will be. Texas has got to fold now and play right.

So you are saying that JP is the one pulling all the strings here?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
**** that! OU can take a hike!! We need to stand by our commissioner! The minute we let a school kick out a figurehead like Beebe all he'll breaks loose!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1290186637384.jpg