OT: What is the best opener to an album ever?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hello from What's the Story Morning Glory? by Oasis.

Probably my favorite song off of one of my favorite albums of all time. Just sets the tone so well for a classic album at the height of 90's alternative music.

underrated song

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Lots of vinyl fans here, it appears. I have two true openers..."Skating Away" from War Child by Jethro Tull..."[sounds of making tea, followed by]...Meanwhile back in the Year One / When you belonged to no one" first words on that side (unfortunately, it's side two).

And though I am no fan (or purchaser) of Michael Jackson, I am SHOCKED, shocked I say, that no one has mentioned Vincent Price's recitation of "Darkness falls across the land" on Thriller. Can't you dig it?

[video=youtube_share;bordM7deZ38]http://youtu.be/bordM7deZ38[/video]

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
And though I am no fan (or purchaser) of Michael Jackson, I am SHOCKED, shocked I say, that no one has mentioned Vincent Price's recitation of "Darkness falls across the land" on Thriller. Can't you dig it?

The opener on the Thriller album was "Wannabe Starting Something."

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Lots of vinyl fans here, it appears. I have two true openers..."Skating Away" from War Child by Jethro Tull..."[sounds of making tea, followed by]...Meanwhile back in the Year One / When you belonged to no one" first words on that side (unfortunately, it's side two).

[video=youtube_share;bordM7deZ38]http://youtu.be/bordM7deZ38[/video]

That was a great part of the song "Thriller," but "Wanna Be Startin' Something" opened the LP.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I'm gonna throw out Mouth for War off of Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power album. Really sets the tone for what's to come with the rest of the tracks.

WAP311

Jul 17, 2012
Waukee
This is old and was in my dad's vinyl collection, but "riding the storm out" by REO Speedwagon was always one of my all time faves. The opening with the siren is very cool.

On a different note, the beginning/interludes of Enter the 36 Chambers is awesome. Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin' to F' wit!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm generally a fan of 60s rock but I have to go with...

Airbag from Radiohead's OK Computer, the first 10 seconds of that album are the best 10 seconds of the start of any album I've listened too. I like the album but in my opinion the best part of it is the very beginning.

You inspired me to go back & listen to "Airbag." I like the entire song as a tone-setter for that album; and how that intro riff suggests a heavier song until it morphs into the groove of that track.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Too bad the rest of that album is a major let down after Gimme Shelter.

I have to agree with Welcome to the Jungle from Appetite or Hell's Bells from Back in Black
On a more obscure note the opening track from Ra by Utopia is pretty cool.

Not sure if you're serious re: Let it Bleed. It's one of their best albums, right behind Beggars Banquet.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Quadrophenia's "I Am the Sea", which is a quiet medley of the four songs that make up the personalities in "Quadrophenia".

Yes, my favorite The Who album. A perfect blend of the various themes on the album with the sound of the surf, leading into "The Real Me" with the killer base.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
That one came to mind for me, among many. (B-Boys were really good at album openers).

I can only assume that you're talking about the first track off of the Backstreet Boys album which shares the same name, Backstreet's Back. :jimlad:

Looks like I'm pretty late to the party but still wanted to throw in a few of my favorites that I didn't see listed:
"Bring Da Ruckus" by Wu-Tang Clan (36 Chambers 1993)
"Son et Lumière / Inertiatic ESP" by The Mars Volta (De-Loused in the Comatorium 2003)
"Make it Sick" by Attila (Rage 2010)
"Battery" by Metallica (Master of Puppets 1986)
"Cowboys From Hell" by Pantera (Cowboys From Hell 1990)