OT: What is the best opener to an album ever?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
"I am Trying to Break Your Heart" was a great start to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Interesting discussion I had over the weekend with friends. What is the best opening song for an album? One that you first hear and you may think 'ok, if THIS is the opener, this album is gonna be incredible...'

my two are:

Gimme Shelter by Rolling Stones from the Let it Bleed album

Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins from the Siamese Dream album

Ditto on Gimme Shelter. In top 5 of the greatest rock songs of all time.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Supertramp have two of my faves - "School" on "Crime of the Century" and "Gone Hollywood" on "Breakfast in America"

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
"Woman from Tokyo" Deep Purple (Who Do We Think We Are)
"Arc of the Diver" Steve Winwood (Arc of the Diver)
"Twice As Hard" Black Crowes (Shake Your Money Maker)
"Radio Song" R.E.M. (Out of Time)
"Achilles Last Stand" LZ (Presence)

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Cherub Rock gets my vote too. Just obscure enough that I'm surprised it's got this much attention.

Can we do best concert opener next?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This thread had some potential, until guys who know bands that nobody else knows, showed up. Just to show they know more about bands than everyone else.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
"Dead and Bloated" Stone Temple Pilots-Core

I remember putting that in my CD player and hearing it for the first time and being blown away. Before I hit play I really just wanted to skip to "Sex Type Thing".

"My Name is Jonas" is another good one that brings back the high school memories...

Edit: Yes, "Welcome to the Jungle" is a good one. I was still fairly young when that came out. "Mr. Brownstone" is my favorite track on the album nowadays.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
"The Package" in "Thirteenth Step" by A Perfect Circle.

The first three songs ("Have We Forgotten", "Anything", and "The Waiting Room") of Sixpence None the Richer's self-titled album. Three separate singles that flow like one long, continuous track.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Also good:

Around the World by Red Hot's Californication album. Love the last :40 of that song with the bass and snare

London Calling by The Clash. Also vote for best album ender with Train In Vain on the same album

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
I was also a big fan of 30 Seconds to Mars before they got big. They used to play at Toad Holler, 7 Flags, Val Air frequently around 2001. Used to open for bands like Chevelle, Puddle of Mudd, Stone Sour.
First album came out and I thought "Capricorn (A Brand New Day)" was really heavy.

I liked Attack opening A Beautiful Lie better. Probably because I thought that was their best album and it set the stage for it.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
Same boat as me. Leto (Jared not Shannon) jumped off the stage at the Val Air and I caught his whole Chuck Taylor on the side of my head. He made sure I was OK.
Legit show. Haven't seen them in over a decade, don't know if they still rock that hard or not.

Doubt it. Jared seems to have mellowed out and does a lot of acoustic type ballads it seems. I was really disappointed in the last album. They continued to experiment a lot and got further away from the sound that most of their older fans enjoyed.