OT: That's It, I Quit!

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Yes. “The old man”, as everyone called him, was a prick. I started at buns like everyone, went to toppings, then grill, then slicer and eventually bbq grill and send out. I liked slicer the best. I can still smell those nasty smelling maroon stained smoked T-shirt’s and hats now.
That's funny, the smell of that T-shirt after only two weeks and repeated washes is what really sticks with me all these years later. It kinda ruined smoked meats for me for a while too, but that part has luckily faded.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I love my company because there is literally no time off. You just don't work when you want to take PTO, vacations, Dr. Appts ect. We all work from home (even before pandemic) and bosses know quickly if you're doing work and getting revenue.

That what I love about my job! My PTO is not tracked, I work from home, I get to travel all over, mainly to do shows, and my boss (company owner) lets me make decisions and values my input. With my over arrogant old boss, only his input mattered. The only thing I pay for is my wife’s plane ticket!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That what I love about my job! My PTO is not tracked, I work from home, I get to travel all over, mainly to do shows, and my boss (company owner) lets me make decisions and values my input. With my over arrogant old boss, only his input mattered. The only thing I pay for is my wife’s plane ticket!

Awesome! yeah that's how my company is. I can buy my wife's plane tickets to conferences and she is invited to dinners ect. I am a profit center so its the best way to run my own company without having to own it. However, down side is the phone never turns off even on vacations. Being on an island, sometimes I just have to handle things even when I don't want to.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
In the end it's these little things that separate a good manager from a great manager

A company I worked at adopted a system that I liked. Basically, the employee would submit a "PTO Notification" into the system that would send an email to their boss. It wasn't a request, it was "I am notifying you that I'm taking this day off." Of course, the system assumed there was a conversation ahead of time, and in my case, there always was.

I liked that system because if your boss was going to reject your PTO request, they had to do it in a conversation with you, not just hitting a button in the system. Though, in almost 7 years at that place, I never once heard of someone having a PTO request denied.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
So, I have a question for you about PTO. I used to go round and round with my old boss about this. My brother was getting married at Christmas time a few years ago. A huge number of relatives were flying in, and it was going to be a whole week of celebrating. The wedding was a couple hours away, so I had planned on spending the week with my family at the site of the wedding...

In a case like this I'd typically give precedence to the first one to request the time off, and we really push getting holiday requests in early as that's the only time coverage even approaches becoming an issue. I only have 5 people under my supervision, and for any given week we can typically get by with up to two of them out with no problem. We could probably handle three depending on coverage from other regional teams, and I regularly back my team up when need be.

One thing I really like about my company is tenure isn't typically considered much for things like PTO precedence or promotions - might seem like a downside for some, but I like that it puts everybody on a mostly level playing field (obviously tenure will play a factor if all else is equal). In your example, if I HAD to deny one it'd most likely be the last to submit the request - and I wouldn't really feel sorry if it was the one who takes it off every year. I'd probably also consider keeping my best worker(s) happy - if one of them is someone who's not much of a contributor I probably wouldn't be as worried about making them consider other jobs by denying such request.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
General question here: How many here have put in notice, but rescinded after being offered something more by your current employer? I'm talking salary, flexibility, promotion, etc. If so, did you end up staying long term?

There's a commonly held belief in management that if someone gives notice and you counter to get them to stay, they usually leave anyway. Thoughts?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
General question here: How many here have put in notice, but rescinded after being offered something more by your current employer? I'm talking salary, flexibility, promotion, etc. If so, did you end up staying long term?

There's a commonly held belief in management that if someone gives notice and you counter to get them to stay, they usually leave anyway. Thoughts?
More money doesn't fix that the boss is an ass hole or they can't stand a coworker. It temporarily patches things because "I can deal with this if I'm paid more!" but that eventually runs out.

If you have a deadline to meet I can see trying to hold onto someone. If they already have a foot out the door however you're better off in the long run without them.

Now if you changed something more than just the paycheck I can maybe see it being worth it (ie move from manager A to manager B). Just changing the paycheck though is delaying the inevitable.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I put in notice, and was countered. I would have taken the other job if they hadn't countered, but I didn't really want to. It was more money, but I don't think I would have enjoyed the work as much. So when the counter offer came in, I said yes pretty quickly.

I did eventually take another job about 18 months later.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
More money doesn't fix that the boss is an ass hole or they can't stand a coworker. It temporarily patches things because "I can deal with this if I'm paid more!" but that eventually runs out.

If you have a deadline to meet I can see trying to hold onto someone. If they already have a foot out the door however you're better off in the long run without them.

Now if you changed something more than just the paycheck I can maybe see it being worth it (ie move from manager A to manager B). Just changing the paycheck though is delaying the inevitable.

I tend to agree with this as well. If someone is posturing for more money by getting a different offer, I'd tell them to take it and leave. They didn't really want to be there anyway. I'm interested to see if the adage holds true.

I do have a friend that felt underpaid, and got an offer for 25% more from a competitor. When he put in his notice, his boss immediately offered him a 30% raise. That made him more angry because it showed the boss was willingly underpaying him the whole time. It was just too easy to bump to 30% by giving notice.

Reactions: cycloner29

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

I've done it once, and I posted it on here awhile back on a different thread. I hated my job and took a random week off to think things over. About three hours into my time off I had my mind made up that I was done. Did not have another job or fallback option, I just didn't want to work there any more.

Came back the following Monday and quit the moment I got in. Some people flipped their lids and due to outsourcing, there was a lot of people involved. They asked me to "give them a number", I told them I wasn't interested. They convinced me to stay for six weeks with almost no responsibility - I was working two hours a day. They persisted to try and keep me. Eventually agreed to a significant bonus offer (predicated on me working 6 months or I got nothing) and the promise of a new role within the bonus period.

I worked the six months. The new role never came but I didn't expect it to, nor did I care. Two weeks after I received my bonus I quit again. They flipped their lids again. Told them if they didn't see this coming they had some things to work on. The six months did give me time to land another job and I slid right into it after I was done.

Those six months almost killed me. I wouldn't do it again, even though I did get a pretty sweet parting gift out of the deal.

Reactions: throwittoblythe