OT: Best budget-friendly 65-inch 4k TV?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you're set on <$550 for a 65" 4K tv I'd just go with the cheapest one you can find that has the inputs you need. They're all going to be entry level and they're all just going to be decent at best, might as well save as much money as possible.

TCL 4-Series (65S425), Vizio V-series (V655-G9).

If you bumped up the price range a couple hundred dollars the TCL 6-series and the Vizio M-series are pretty well rated mid-range TVs.

Check https://www.rtings.com/ for some good reviews.

• Informative
Reactions: dahliaclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I second Costco. I purchased my last two TV's there and couldn't be happier. Costco works very closely with their suppliers and their lower priced TV's aren't usually as bare bones as Wal-Mart and and Sam's.

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Saw a 65" Samsung and Vizio at Costco and really hard not to pull the trigger. But I'm saving up for the 75".
Right now I have a 55" TCL and 55" Samsung. I really like the TCL but the picture on the Samsung is easily higher quality. Both models are the more budget version. More than likely go with Samsung on the 75" when I buy.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Looking to buy a 65-inch tv and have no clue which is the best option. I don't want something that craps out on us after a year. But I realize for what we are wanting to pay that might happen. There are several 65 inch tvs at Target/Best Buy/Amazon under $550 and we are days away from pulling the trigger but have no idea which brand to go for and why.

What we are hoping for/wanting:

• Great picture quality
  • Very minimal glare
  • Alexa-enabled would be nice but not a must at all
  • Sporting events look awesome
  • Solid sound
I keep hearing good things about TCL but then looking at reviews there are quite a few saying a certain version crapped out after a year so that isn't good.

LG or Samsung is kind of where we are at but not sure which and why. And if TCL is great, then by all means say so. And what about a brand like Hisense?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Again, I KNOW that quality is going to be better the more expensive it is. But we just aren't wanting to pay over that $550 mark at this time and know that could mean lower quality and lifespan...

TIA

Sometimes it's a crap shoot. I had a 50 inch LG that lasted a long time and still works. So I bought another LG and it crapped out after a year. I would buy another Samsung. That is what I have in my living room and it's been going strong for 3 years now. It's a 55 inch but pretty sure they are all built the same.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I have a 70" 4k Vizio that has been great for 2 years. The only downside is that it doesn't have a tuner built in so I couldn't use OTA or Cable input. I had to buy a converter that has HDMI out. But streaming on it has amazing quality. I hadn't heard of TCL before this thread, but have had quite a bit of Vizio experience with watching friends' TVs.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
just have to mention how amazing it is that 60in+ TVs these days are $400-$600!! This used to be a several thousand dollar purchase that was researched for months! (Not making light of $500 either..its a lot of money).
My first HD TV was a 52" Mitsubishi DLP that we bought at the mega furniture store in Overland Park 12-15 years ago. The floor model was ~$2,500. That first winter watching olympic hockey in HD was amazing. That TV was fantastic. Just sold it on craigslist for like $40 a couple months ago. ;)

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
just have to mention how amazing it is that 60in+ TVs these days are $400-$600!! This used to be a several thousand dollar purchase that was researched for months! (Not making light of $500 either..its a lot of money).

It's crazy. I remember the first 'big' tv I bought was a Philips flat screen but it weighed a ton. I think it was 37 inches and it cost $1500...refurbished! Times have definitely changed!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd go with the Vizio you can get for that price. If you can't get enough HDMI and don't have a AVR, you can get an HDMI switch for like $20.

cyclomaha

Feb 23, 2015
Looking to buy a 65-inch tv and have no clue which is the best option. I don't want something that craps out on us after a year. But I realize for what we are wanting to pay that might happen. There are several 65 inch tvs at Target/Best Buy/Amazon under $550 and we are days away from pulling the trigger but have no idea which brand to go for and why.

What we are hoping for/wanting:

• Great picture quality
  • Very minimal glare
  • Alexa-enabled would be nice but not a must at all
  • Sporting events look awesome
  • Solid sound
I keep hearing good things about TCL but then looking at reviews there are quite a few saying a certain version crapped out after a year so that isn't good.

LG or Samsung is kind of where we are at but not sure which and why. And if TCL is great, then by all means say so. And what about a brand like Hisense?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Again, I KNOW that quality is going to be better the more expensive it is. But we just aren't wanting to pay over that $550 mark at this time and know that could mean lower quality and lifespan...

TIA

We just bought a 65" TCL 6 series. Best Buy was running a special at $729 and we could not be happier.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Looks like it only has 2 HDMI ports. Unless maybe that's not an issue for your use. Different from one person to the next, but I'd prefer an additional 1 or 2 ports.

• Agree
Reactions: Lafaester54

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Looks like it only has 2 HDMI ports. Unless maybe that's not an issue for your use. Different from one person to the next, but I'd prefer an additional 1 or 2 ports.

True. That's the one thing that was holding me back. But can't you buy an HDMI splitter? Or are those wonky/not all that reliable?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I bought a 55 and a 65 inch TCL last year. Couldn't be happier, though I got the 6 series 55 and the 5 series 65 and I wish I would have done the 6 for both. If I didn't have the 55 I wouldn't have ever noticed but the 55 is a better picture than the 65 by a pretty clear margin.

I also wouldn't touch a Vizio again. Had two, both were junk.

I have also had two Samsungs which are largely fine. I feel like the TCL operates much smoother and quicker than my last Samsung which was supposed to be a higher quality TV.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
  • Winner

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We're in the process of remodeling our bedroom. I was limited to a 37" in our old armoire so I thought I'd hang a new 55". I did a bunch of research and headed off to costco. I planned on spending around $600 for a Vizio or TLC. Well right besides the Vizio they had an LG Oled 55.....I now have an LG Oled C9 in my living room and moved our old Vizio to the bedroom. Regardless of the brand, the LED/lCD's just don't come close to OLED. Ended up spending nearly $1,000 more but it looks so good. A side bonus is that they had an extended warranty (5 years total) that they we're offering $100 off and the warranty only cost $99.

h-man64

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines
Looks like a lot of these cheaper tvs are only 60hz refresh rate. Isn't 120hz what you should be going for? Or for what we are looking for (no gaming just watching tv/movies/sports) is 60 fine?

Do not get a 60hz. To me the differnce is night and day,especially watching sports.