Oscars

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Who was that one???

Janet Patterson costume designer died. Jan Chapman producer alive is whose picture was used. The bad part was they were friends. Somebody didn't do a google search before picking a picture. Somebody wasn't paying attention when they were putting it together.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's the self-importance of Hollywood that makes the Oscars unbearable for me. I can handle most award shows, but there's something about the smugness of Hollywood that makes the Oscars a no-go for me. Nothing more than a bunch of people who think the world would fall off its axis if they didn't make some controversial movie that no one actually saw.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Wellllllll, I'm going to go out on a limb & say "Nope". I actually LIKE the Oscars, but didn't watch last night because "Walking Dead" was on. I heard about the best picture kerfluffle and wanted to see what was up.

YOU just opened it to complain.

You just summarized every single post of CF and everyone on CF is guilty of the same in other threads.

No reason for any of us to break stride?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's the self-importance of Hollywood that makes the Oscars unbearable for me. I can handle most award shows, but there's something about the smugness of Hollywood that makes the Oscars a no-go for me. Nothing more than a bunch of people who think the world would fall off its axis if they didn't make some controversial movie that no one actually saw.

I'm in the category of "shut up and sing" or "shut up and act" and I mean that from all sides of the political spectrum. Only person I want wrapping themselves in a cape is superman.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

My problem with the Oscars is related, I just rarely like the movies Hollywood likes, so movies I have actually seen rarely win anything. So there is that underlying attitude that they know better than their audience what they should like. But my husband always wants to watch them. He's the one who drug me to LaLa Land. I usually like science fiction movies and books. So unlike the Academy, I prefer Star Wars to Annie Hall.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You complained that the poster posted just to complain. I offered, through deep study, contemplations and self reflection that every post on this board, every poster has at one time or other simply posted to... complain.
Meh. I take back the "creative" reaction I gave you above. You just negated it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My problem with the Oscars is related, I just rarely like the movies Hollywood likes, so movies I have actually seen rarely win anything. So there is that underlying attitude that they know better than their audience what they should like. But my husband always wants to watch them. He's the one who drug me to LaLa Land. I usually like science fiction movies and books. So unlike the Academy, I prefer Star Wars to Annie Hall.
Soul sisters...
I watch movies for entertainment. My definition of entertainment does not seem to jive with Hollywood's...at least as far as the Oscars are concerned. :)

Reactions: carvers4math

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Exactly. There is an air of "you simple commonfolk couldn't possible grasp the brilliance of this performance" that is so off-putting.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I really hope the smattering of applause Moonlight received was because the audience didn't know what was going on or how to react, as opposed to sour grapes. They clearly wanted LaLa Land to win every time it was nominated and roared when it was announced they won best picture.