Oscars

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Feel sorry for Beatty and Dunaway, but also blame them. The envelopes are labeled on the outside - couldn't Beatty have told the stagehand "you gave me the wrong one" before he strode onstage? Also after opening it, could one of two said, "hey guys, we have the wrong one here - it says Emma Stone for best actress on this one!"

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Feel sorry for Beatty and Dunaway, but also blame them. The envelopes are labeled on the outside - couldn't Beatty have told the stagehand "you gave me the wrong one" before he strode onstage? Also after opening it, could one of two said, "hey guys, we have the wrong one here - it says Emma Stone for best actress on this one!"

I'm guessing he didn't look at the front. And he obviously noticed the problem when he opened it but didn't know what to do. He showed it to Faye and probably didn't mean for her to read it.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think it's just amazing and somewhat hilarious that they screw up the one thing everyone has been waiting for. Several people including Beatty should have realized something wasn't right. Crazy. Feel bad though for the LaLa Land people.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
There were some hilarious tweets right after the fact last night too:

C5pibE-UwAAFbVf.jpg

Hari KondaboluVerified account‏@harikondabolu 11h11 hours ago
Who screwed up the #Oscars ? Let's get **** Tracy on the case...oh wait.

• Funny
Reactions: BBHMagic

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I don't think there is anything on the outside of the envelope. I didn't see it but judging by the videos the envelopes appear to be blank on the outside. About 55 seconds in you get a pretty good look.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My problem with the Oscars is related, I just rarely like the movies Hollywood likes, so movies I have actually seen rarely win anything. So there is that underlying attitude that they know better than their audience what they should like. But my husband always wants to watch them. He's the one who drug me to LaLa Land. I usually like science fiction movies and books. So unlike the Academy, I prefer Star Wars to Annie Hall.

We should double date carvers. Our spouses can go to that musical type stuff and we can sneak into star wars.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think it's just amazing and somewhat hilarious that they screw up the one thing everyone has been waiting for. Several people including Beatty should have realized something wasn't right. Crazy. Feel bad though for the LaLa Land people.
He did realize something wasn't right, that's why he gave it to Faye

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Fell asleep and missed the ending.

Was bummed there weren't more of the skits and such, and thought Kimmel basically made fun of people for their awards in the smaller/lesser known categories.

so nothing new. If it is something he doesn't understand / get he just makes fun of it.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Been a rough 100 days, Grammy Mic issues, putting up the wrong picture for a person who passed away (lots of respect there :confused:), announcing the wrong best picture, probably other thngs I missed.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Hollywood is a bunch of drug wasted humans

The irony of your post, and your avatar (Carl Spackler) is not lost on me. On the day that you die; on your deathbed, may you receive the gift of total consciousness. At least, you'll have that going for you, which will be nice.

Reactions: bawbie

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
My wife was cracking up that Ryan Gossling had to be sitting in the audience saying, "Please don't be LaLa Land, please don't be LaLa Land..." Since it had already won Best Director and Emma had won, with a Best Picture award, he would have found out he was the worst part of the film.

Then they called LaLa Land, and Gossling just stood off to the side of the group, his fears confirmed. Probably the only person on the stage that was OK that the wrong flick got called.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think there is anything on the outside of the envelope. I didn't see it but judging by the videos the envelopes appear to be blank on the outside. About 55 seconds in you get a pretty good look.

there's another shot somewhere that shows it says Oscar for Best Leading Actress.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
He did realize something wasn't right, that's why he gave it to Faye

yep, think he wanted her to look at it and see something wasn't right either but she thought he was ******* around so she glanced quickly and read the name of the movie she saw.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It's the self-importance of Hollywood that makes the Oscars unbearable for me. I can handle most award shows, but there's something about the smugness of Hollywood that makes the Oscars a no-go for me. Nothing more than a bunch of people who think the world would fall off its axis if they didn't make some controversial movie that no one actually saw.

To quote my favorite person in Hollywood, Mark Wahlberg:

“A lot of celebrities did, do, and shouldn’t [talk politics],” he told the magazine, explaining that A-listers aren’t on the same playing field as the common voter. “They might buy your CD or watch your movie, but you don’t put food on their table. You don’t pay their bills. A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, the everyday guy out there providing for their family.”

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We should double date carvers. Our spouses can go to that musical type stuff and we can sneak into star wars.

Oh he would want to see Star Wars too, he reads a ton of sci fi. He also feels compelled to go to anything that other people think is good. I enjoy live musicals, but really not much on film.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
To quote my favorite person in Hollywood, Mark Wahlberg:

“A lot of celebrities did, do, and shouldn’t [talk politics],” he told the magazine, explaining that A-listers aren’t on the same playing field as the common voter. “They might buy your CD or watch your movie, but you don’t put food on their table. You don’t pay their bills. A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, the everyday guy out there providing for their family.”

Yeah, Mark Wahlberg is a real peach:

https://reelrundown.com/celebrities/Hate-Crimes-of-Mark-Wahlberg

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I'm not going to sit here and try and defend some other person's actions and certainly not hate crimes, but you're bringing up things that happened in his youth. Like, nearly 30 years ago for his most recent crime. You're reaching pathetically hard on this one. I am curious, though, about your take on Lena Dunham. Are you cool with her or no?

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I'm not going to sit here and try and defend some other person's actions and certainly not hate crimes, but you're bringing up things that happened in his youth. Like, nearly 30 years ago for his most recent crime. You're reaching pathetically hard on this one. I am curious, though, about your take on Lena Dunham. Are you cool with her or no?

Makes me think of one of my favorite quotes:

Every sinner has a future and every saint has a past.

• Winner
Reactions: Stewo

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron