Only a matter of time unfortunately...

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
You're a poet and you didn't know it.
I know it. I have written several books of Cyclone poetry and submitted them to ISU press but as of yet haven't been recognized for my genius. I suppose I will have to die to be recognized.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Hey, it's late at night on a Friday. I need something to worry about. Time to worry about Fred!

Is that how the thought process for this kind of stuff works?

10:30 on a Friday is late? I'm older and that just sounds lame.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time to bash each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

[video=youtube;5l3oUUUzOxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3oUUUzOxE[/video]

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I never see Fred leaving for another college team.... If it ever was to happen that would be the last day I am a Freddy fan... I'm ok with him going to the NBA but Pollard took a HUGE risk hiring a head coach with zero coaching experience what so ever. A risk not even a division 3 school would take. The fact is ISU took the risk and are getting the rewards now. Going to another college team would be stabbing every single person that loves Fred so dearly in the back. Something that someone of his morals wouldn't do. If he ever was to leave ISU it would be for the NBA or not at all... I am of the belief he wants to create a legacy not only for himself but the school and community he holds so near an dear to his heart...

basically what I'm trying to say is that he could create a legacy at any school but it wouldn't mean as much as creating a legacy at ISU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycsk

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Interested to see how Stevens fares in the pros. Seeing another good college coach do well vs. bomb miserably and get canned has to affect one's decision at least a little.

Can't help but root for Stevens though. Seems like such a good guy.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Ok here is my 2 cents, I know a few things about this situation.

1. Fred is not going to take any other college job, cross that off of your worry list.
2. If Fred takes anoher job it will be in the NBA.
3. We are lucky to have Fred, he is VERY well thought of in the NBA, and has been on many a NBA short lists already and yet he has stayed at ISU.
4. Jaime has got to make sure he keeps CPR and Fred well paid and with good facilities.
5. For those of you who think the NBA grind is harder than the college grind you are dead wrong.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Ok here is my 2 cents, I know a few things about this situation.

1. Fred is not going to take any other college job, cross that off of your worry list.
2. If Fred takes anoher job it will be in the NBA.
3. We are lucky to have Fred, he is VERY well thought of in the NBA, and has been on many a NBA short lists already and yet he has stayed at ISU.
4. Jaime has got to make sure he keeps CPR and Fred well paid and with good facilities.
5. For those of you who think the NBA grind is harder than the college grind you are dead wrong.

I have to imagine their are 3 main reasons a college coach would consider leaving for the NBA: $, prestige (subjective), and getting tired of having to do the whole recruiting trail. NBA coaches makes more money, on a bigger stage, to coach and only coach. Other people worry about personnel, contracts, etc. It's the latter that I think will be the biggest of those three regarding whether Hoiberg leaves ISU for the NBA.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
I have to imagine their are 3 main reasons a college coach would consider leaving for the NBA: $, prestige (subjective), and getting tired of having to do the whole recruiting trail. NBA coaches makes more money, on a bigger stage, to coach and only coach. Other people worry about personnel, contracts, etc. It's the latter that I think will be the biggest of those three regarding whether Hoiberg leaves ISU for the NBA.

Fair, but to think the two jobs have equal "grind" is a bit ridiculous. If you coach in the NBA, you're looking at twice as many games, and three times as many road games. This is a ton more games and travel. I understand you travel to recruit as well, but there are limits and I doubt Fred spends enough time on the road recruiting to make up for the difference. Plus, if you make the NBA playoffs there is virtually no off-season.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Fair, but to think the two jobs have equal "grind" is a bit ridiculous. If you coach in the NBA, you're looking at twice as many games, and three times as many road games. This is a ton more games and travel. I understand you travel to recruit as well, but there are limits and I doubt Fred spends enough time on the road recruiting to make up for the difference. Plus, if you make the NBA playoffs there is virtually no off-season.

Fred is probably our busiest recruiter. He's a lead on many of our top guys and is involved with all of them. I'd bet he logs more miles than anyone else in the B12

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Yes its obvious Bill Self is saying that and everyone is listening... Since our recruiting has sucked. O wait, no it hasnt... Worst 19th post of all time.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
Start fretting when CFH isn't under contract and has a 4:1 win/loss record including 2 NCAA finals.

...before Fred goes the route of Brad Stevens. I certainly hope he stays for 20+ years...but I hope we have a final four or more to remember him by when that time comes. I'm sure the Bill Selfs of the world use that against ISU during recruiting wars too. "Why go there? Fred could leave at anytime for the NBA..."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I am of the belief he wants to create a legacy not only for himself but the school and community he holds so near an dear to his heart...

basically what I'm trying to say is that he could create a legacy at any school but it wouldn't mean as much as creating a legacy at ISU.

Legacy is the key word. Where else can he go to build his legacy? Grows up near Hilton, ballboy, local high school star, local university star, The Mayor, NBA, returns to coach at his own school, proves the doubters wrong immediately, become regular tournament qualifier, becomes known for his ability to manage players/transfers and his notebook of plays, . . . becomes perennial tournament qualifier, frequently challenges for Big 12 conference title and Final Four, becomes the dean of NCAA coaches, leads college BB into the next era, . . . all from the same court where he was a ballboy!

He is merely just another great coach if he goes somewhere else. At Iowa State, he is The Mayor . . . and the legacy is only partially built, but it can only be built here. It is a totally different story if he goes anywhere else.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Good lord reading these stupid threads day after day really gets old. Can we please get a rule in place that you have to have at least 100 posts before you can start a thread??

This is a superb idea. CW, can we make it happen? I got sucked into the discussion, but the topic is so over-worked already. Cysmurf from Cedar Rapids is a rather trollish-sounding name and location.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Good point; being an NBA coach is a full time job and then some, I'm sure. My only point is that when you work a lot on something you're passionate about it's one thing, when it's something that you see as drudgery or scut work your appetite for the work can be much less. If a guy is into coaching because he likes coaching basketball but doesn't care for the recruiting trail, time spent coaching games and practice may seem much more tolerable than traveling around to AAU tournaments trying to convince 16 and 17 yo kids to come to your program.

EDIT: I have no idea how Hoiberg feels about recruiting. This is more of a general thought.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I think you are missing the big one, for Hoiberg. I think he likes the NBA game better.

I don't think he is leaving any time soon, but if he leaves it won't be for the money or to be more famous. It'll be because he likes the game better and the just coaching part.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
...before Fred goes the route of Brad Stevens. I certainly hope he stays for 20+ years...but I hope we have a final four or more to remember him by when that time comes. I'm sure the Bill Selfs of the world use that against ISU during recruiting wars too. "Why go there? Fred could leave at anytime for the NBA..."

Nice thread for our potential recruits to read.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron