One Final Concert at JTS

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why would the grass be an issue anymore? Both Colorado and Broncos Stadium have concerts about every year on their grass fields (and their fields have been cared for by former ISU turf guys at one time).
I would think if JP could have good show at JTS in early June, it could be a good money maker?
I might be missing something, just curious.

I think the issue is they don’t need the money anymore and concerts are freaking hassles and the larger acts that are left to tour stadiums either a) go to weird venues like Metallica at the racetrack/Pearl Jam at Wrigley field or b) aren’t coming to Ames like Beyoncé & JayZ.

Reactions: drlove

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That was a fun stretch for awhile. I lived on Beech in a duplex across from the stadium on the 50 yd line. The concerts I remember during that time were:

Rolling Stones/Living Colour
U2
McCartney
Billy Joel/Elton John

Who am I forgetting?

Pink Floyd?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Stones with Blind Melon
Stones with someone else can’t remember
Pink Floyd
U2
Paul Mcartney

Had tickets to farm Aid and Alice In Chains cancelled so I went to a frat
Party instead

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I got into a discussion during turkey day with a couple old farts about concerts that have happened at the Jack. I knew there were some big names that have played JTS but I didn't know the likes of Paul McCartney had been here. We then debated if there could be one more show there (which there won't be I would presume with the grass being destroyed in that instance) who would it be?
It was the best, I set up for shows and got to see the Stones 2x (89 and 94) and Farm Aid. I attended Pink Floyd and to this day, it was the greatest show I have ever witnessed. I was bummed with the Phil Collins, Genesis show. Had to miss U2, remains the biggest concert regret of my life.

Living Colour opened the Steel Wheels tour for the Stones

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Didn’t David Lee Roth prance around with the marching band at halftime once back in the 80s? He probably would’ve been promoting a show over in Hilton.

Yes he did and I was on the sidelines and he high fived me. That was when he was huge. He even through on an Iowa State jersey.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I dont remember what concert it was, but had to be in the fall, because the next football game I arrived at my seats, which had been completely destroyed by someone. Fortunately attendance in those days was low, and I sat a few seats away.

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
I was at the Elton John Billy Joel concert in 94. I remember they couldn't have the planned large hanging video boards due to windy conditions. Imagine that, windy conditions back then at the Jack.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I was working in a beer trailer tapping and throwing kegs during that Stones concert. The office told us that beer sales had to stop before Mick took the stage. I was really glad I wasn't one of the sales staff in the front because they got cursed out and beer thrown at them. One guy went as far to take a swing at one of us. We hunkered down with a few cold ones while the fallout occurred. Security had to get involved.

We went through an impressive amount of beer in a short time up to that point though. Easily more than any other concert I worked at during those days.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It was dubbed the Steel Wheelchairs Tour in 1989. They are doing a stadium tour in 2019.
I saw the Stones at the UNI Dome in 81? and the first time they played JTS. It's hard to believe they are doing yet another tour.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
Pink Floyd was best concert ever been to. second to that Nine Inch Nails in CR

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I was working in a beer trailer tapping and throwing kegs during that Stones concert. The office told us that beer sales had to stop before Mick took the stage. I was really glad I wasn't one of the sales staff in the front because they got cursed out and beer thrown at them. One guy went as far to take a swing at one of us. We hunkered down with a few cold ones while the fallout occurred. Security had to get involved.

We went through an impressive amount of beer in a short time up to that point though. Easily more than any other concert I worked at during those days.

I did this for the McCartney show. Not sure when we shut down but it seems like I got to watch a lot of the show and drank a lot of beer. I went to the U2 show (didn't work) and left early because it was so boring.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
We then debated if there could be one more show there (which there won't be I would presume with the grass being destroyed in that instance) who would it be?

Deep Purple

Seriously though, how did they do the x-games style motorcycle stunt show last year? I didn't go, but it sounds like something that would have damaged natural turf.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
I think the issue is they don’t need the money anymore and concerts are freaking hassles and the larger acts that are left to tour stadiums either a) go to weird venues like Metallica at the racetrack/Pearl Jam at Wrigley field or b) aren’t coming to Ames like Beyoncé & JayZ.
Obviously the field isn't the issue since they had that travis pastrana motocross show a couple years back.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron