Info: On the toolbar at the bottom of the page

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have noticed everything loads a little slower but I don't really care as I am usually doing different things (usually homework) on different tabs so I just come back in minute and it's there. The more revenue the better, my only complaint was the auto playing video which has been disabled.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
My only issue with the toolbar is that it scrolls from "Watch the Top Ten Plays" to "Watch Player Features" and so on. It constantly drives you away from what you are reading.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I dont think you'd be the only one, and ive seen other sites with a subscription ad-free version. Might be something worth looking into.

Thanks for the input but I will NEVER get rid of our loyal, local advertisers. These people are the reason we got off the ground in the first place. We have some QUALITY supporters who I'm proud to say we've really helped over the last year too. When I say "we," I mean all of you Cyclone fanatics. Branding local businesses as "Cyclone businesses" is one of my favorite things about what this site does.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
one of the problems I've had is that it spliters off and blocks the post box. but yes load times are long.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thanks for the input but I will NEVER get rid of our loyal, local advertisers. These people are the reason we got off the ground in the first place. We have some QUALITY supporters who I'm proud to say we've really helped over the last year too. When I say "we," I mean all of you Cyclone fanatics. Branding local businesses as "Cyclone businesses" is one of my favorite things about what this site does.

I understand, but it wouldnt be getting rid of them though. (also, a lot of the ads, maybe a majority even w\o counting arent local) Itd just be allowing the option for some users to not display the ads. 95% of users probably wouldnt pay for it and would still get advertising. As it is those that want the ads gone enough can run an ad-blocker which gets yall no money.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
At work it is fine for me since I have a bigger monitor but when I get on my netbook at home and am using a 10 inch screen that thing takes up a decent amount of real estate. The load times dont bother me. They are fast enough and normally I am reading a couple threads at a time so I go back and forth.

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
People with the slow load times, what type of internet connection do you have? At work I have hi speed, so I see very few issues. At home however, I live in the boonies and have dial up. For the past several months, it is almost worthless to attempt to get on this site. I assumed it was all the scrolling ads or net zero. I am too cheap to pay much more then dial up prices, when I can get on at work everyday for an hour at lunch. Any suggestions on cheap internet. I don't have a networked cell phone either. Anyone else been having troubles for months? When the site 1st started pre-Chris/ads, I could go and read the forums at home with the normal dial-up delay. Not a slam, I know the site can't run for free, just wanting comments/suggestions. Are dial ups users screwed?

I haven't tried at home since these ads started, I can't imagine that I should even try.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I am having a issue with everything fitting on the page. This is on multiple computers I use. Every screen I have to scroll left to right to see content. Did you change the native resolution you display the site in?

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I would quit using the site if I had to pay a subscription fee. I don't give a flying **** about the ads at the bottom. Frankly, I don't even notice them anymore.

The reason you some of you guys are probably noticing slower load times is because you're still stuck in the stone ages and using internet explorer. A small breeze outside can throw that browser for a loop and you'll be locked up for hours. I have no problems using Chrome.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Just like everyone else I more than appreciate the fact that you have kept the site free and the quality information that is given. However, there is a point where ads start to diminish the quality of the experience here and I think we are on the cusp of that happening. There's a turning point where navigation becomes hindered by ads.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I would quit using the site if I had to pay a subscription fee. I don't give a flying **** about the ads at the bottom. Frankly, I don't even notice them anymore.

The reason you some of you guys are probably noticing slower load times is because you're still stuck in the stone ages and using internet explorer. A small breeze outside can throw that browser for a loop and you'll be locked up for hours. I have no problems using Chrome.

Oh you are totally right. The slow load time must be because I am still using my Apple II. Give me a break man, you shouldn't need a fancy new computer to operate a forum. That alone should be enough info to prove that the site is getting ad happy. I love this place, I don't fear change, by I fear this site being just like all the other forums out there that "sold out".

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Oh you are totally right. The slow load time must be because I am still using my Apple II. Give me a break man, you shouldn't need a fancy new computer to operate a forum. That alone should be enough info to prove that the site is getting ad happy. I love this place, I don't fear change, by I fear this site being just like all the other forums out there that "sold out".

My computer is 6 years old and was the cheapest one I could get at the time. All I'm saying is Internet Explorer is notorious for freaking out about pop up ads. Try Google Chrome. I'm not having any issues.

Don't worry. I'm not dissing your Apple II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron