ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Fanatics -

I just wanted to fill you all in on the toolbar that we are currently testing out at the bottom of the page.

It is a potential way for us to bring some extra revenue to the site and we are simply trying it out for a few days. I realize that nobody likes change and I am asking for your patience on this front.

If it is starting to bring down your page load times, etc., please let me know about that. That is the type of constructive feedback I am looking for, not hateful & rude comments (you should have seen the PM that one wise guy sent me last night).

Trust me. The last thing that we want to do is bring down your enjoyment level of the site. This is the best online community that I have ever seen and extra revenue allows us to make it even better, for free.

Thanks again for your patience.

Have a great day!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My page load times are honestly approaching 30 seconds, and it completely locks up my explorer window when I do it. I don't know if it's just that, because I've disabled the bar at this point and the page loads are still extremely slow. Over at hawkeyenation they are still instantaneous. It is also very bandwidth intensive.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
My page load times are honestly approaching 30 seconds, and it completely locks up my explorer window when I do it. I don't know if it's just that, because I've disabled the bar at this point and the page loads are still extremely slow. Over at hawkeyenation they are still instantaneous. It is also very bandwidth intensive.

I have that trouble sometime, but it's from some other ad, not the toolbar. I've had that issue for months.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have that trouble sometime, but it's from some other ad, not the toolbar. I've had that issue for months.

Yeah, so have I. It's just something we have to live with to have a free site.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I understand ads are needed to keep the site free. My concern is the autoloading videos. I like to browse the site at work (read: I am addicted), but IT will creek down if bandwidth goes way up. I know my company's IT group is not much different than others in that regard.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Site runs fine for me and I don't mind the toolbar at the bottom. What's wrong with it? It doesn't get in my way

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just started with me. I just clicked the "forums" link at the top the page and the load time just to load the front page of the forums was 80 seconds, I timed it on my phone stop watch. Honestly the site is really unnavigable to me. And as I said, hawkeyenation runs the same software and I don't have the problem there.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I understand ads are needed to keep the site free. My concern is the autoloading videos. I like to browse the site at work (read: I am addicted), but IT will creek down if bandwidth goes way up. I know my company's IT group is not much different than others in that regard.

The videos do not autoload anymore BTW. We stopped that at user request.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Personally I'd rather just give you $25 or $50 per year.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
One thing I would suggest to those with slow load times is if you have certain Chrome or Firefox Extensions (s c r i p t based) installed on your browser the site seems to negatively respond to those. I had the same issue and uninstalled the Extension I was using. No issues after that with loading. Just a thought.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Even after you elect to close the toolbar it keeps popping back-up periodically. I do not enjoy that. On a side note, I do have a craving for Quiznos now so the advertising is effective.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
The videos do not autoload anymore BTW. We stopped that at user request.

And that is much appreciated.

The toolbar at the bottom has slowed the site down just a little for me. Honestly though, if it increases revenue, I'm all for it. But only if the additional money is spent on football recruiting info!!!!!!!!!!

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I haven't noticed any problems with the toolbar at the bottom of the page. I'm using Firefox 4.0.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
And that is much appreciated.

The toolbar at the bottom has slowed the site down just a little for me. Honestly though, if it increases revenue, I'm all for it. But only if the additional money is spent on football recruiting info!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and I'm glad that you realize that. We have an awesome cast of characters who contribute to this site and they don't work for free. We're always trying to make CF better. Not take away from it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The biggest issues i have with the toolbar\recent ad changes are:

1. The left and right side sticking farther up. Especially the left side, which gets in the way when scrolling down to get to some of the left-nav.
2. Page load times keep getting longer and longer. I can sit and watch adserver after adserver get hit with page load requests, so i know that's where its coming from. The worst offenders seem to be the ads on the bottom of the page (some of which *do* have video and even audio)
3. Screen real estate taken up by the toolbar. Unlike any other ad, you cant just scroll past it. Its permanently there, taking up a % of your screen. This gives less room to read posts in, etc.

I do appreciate everything yall do to make the site great, however there is always a balance where advertising starts to degrade the user experience.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Personally I'd rather just give you $25 or $50 per year.

I dont think you'd be the only one, and ive seen other sites with a subscription ad-free version. Might be something worth looking into.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
My loading times haven't seemed to change, still cruises right along for me. No complaints here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron