On That Note: I Come From a Land Down Under

IsuStu

May 7, 2014
Wesley
Ive always felt that “electric blue” by Icehouse was an underrated 80’s song.
The video is worth a watch if nothing else to admire frontman Iva Davies classic 80’s hairdo. Many men would have killed for a mane like that. The video also features keytar playing at it’s finest.

Reactions: Buster28

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Funny story about INXS. I always pronounced them "eye inn ex ess" but I was probably 17 and someone was like do you mean "In Excess?" and it ultimately clicked for me.

I'm embarrassed for myself every time I see that band name. Didn't know they were from Australia though.

Reactions: cyclones500

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Also am I alone in that I literally can't tell accents at all when people sing. They sound like they have no accent which sounds to me like a neutral American accent from the Midwest.

I might be in the minority because I'm deaf in one ear and Australian accents sound nearly identical to UK accents to me but I've been too afraid to ask.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Funny story about INXS. I always pronounced them "eye inn ex ess" but I was probably 17 and someone was like do you mean "In Excess?" and it ultimately clicked for me.

I'm embarrassed for myself every time I see that band name. Didn't know they were from Australia though.

I pronounced the name Sean as “seen” for much longer than I would like to admit.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Also am I alone in that I literally can't tell accents at all when people sing. They sound like they have no accent which sounds to me like a neutral American accent from the Midwest.

I might be in the minority because I'm deaf in one ear and Australian accents sound nearly identical to UK accents to me but I've been too afraid to ask.

I've always thought that people don't sing with an accent. Or it's not nearly as noticeable as regular speaking.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
That rocks. Don't think I had heard that one before.

I'm looking at wiki discography. Only one song charted top 40 in U.S. ("FOMM") -- "Sorry" didn't chart at all. (Both went to No. 1 in Aus).

I know I've asked you a similar question before: Was that discrepancy due partly to distribution gap or marketing by record company? So it didn't have the reach into the states? The song itself seems like it could've caught some fire in U.S., but maybe it didn't get the exposure?

I don't think it was ever released in the US. Kind of short sighted on the part of the record company not to mine their back catalog to see if there might be something they thought worthy to try to market here. Either that or their contract limited them to product recorded for them. Either way I do think several of their earlier recordings could definitely have charted well here.

I've tried to find US copies of the singles and there seem to be none ever offered. That's why I assume they were never offered.

• Informative