OL Jacob Gannon has left the ISU program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Re: Jacob Gannon has left the ISU program

Been a tough crow eating week for me, but I am a optimistic person. Campos will be great. He stood out in the spring game. We will play KSU Tough and have a winning season.

attachment.php

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is true, and so what?

If that's what it is just say it. Quit pretending like this kid has some decayed sense of morality because he quit, or that he has no idea what he's doing because he won't be able to get a job, or other **** like that. If your upset because he left us thin at right tackle, fine. Assaulting his character isn't needed.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I find it comical that some of our most revered names in Iowa State history like Marcus Fizer and Jamaal Tinsley didn't even graduate, to the best of my knowledge. We upset with them because they "quit" school?

I haven't given my opinion on the situation and I won't. But it would reason that if Gannon left after we just did something amazing no one would care. He's the scapegoat for a bad program getting worse.

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids
If that's what it is just say it. Quit pretending like this kid has some decayed sense of morality because he quit, or that he has no idea what he's doing because he won't be able to get a job, or other **** like that. If your upset because he left us thin at right tackle, fine. Assaulting his character isn't needed.

I agree with this, and I have never attacked his character, I'm upset because he makes my team worse possibly now.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
All you people talking about "finish what you starter" and whatever other clichéd blather you are putting out, get real. You're just upset that his life choice might effect your beloved Cyclones. You aren't worried about his future. You aren't worried about his reasoning. You're just upset that he left your beloved Cyclones vulnerable.

I find it comical that some of our most revered names in Iowa State history like Marcus Fizer and Jamaal Tinsley didn't even graduate, to the best of my knowledge. We upset with them because they "quit" school?

straw man
noun
noun: strawman

• a person compared to a straw image; a sham.
    • a sham argument set up to be defeated.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I haven't given my opinion on the situation and I won't. But it would reason that if Gannon left after we just did something amazing no one would care. He's the scapegoat for a bad program getting worse.

There is only one scapegoat.

And he looks really cool with a Fu Manchu and wears leather jackets.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
It's an honest question. What about Royce White? He quit on his team too.

Okay let's just stop with the Fizer, Tinsley and White comparisons right now. Completely different. Gannon isn't leaving early to go play professionally for millions of dollars.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
All you people talking about "finish what you starter" and whatever other clichéd blather you are putting out, get real. You're just upset that his life choice might effect your beloved Cyclones. You aren't worried about his future. You aren't worried about his reasoning. You're just upset that he left your beloved Cyclones vulnerable.

That is not true at all in my case, this was a lost season anyway. I feel bad for his teammates and that's about it.

Several of us have made the consistent point that its not about the leaving the team, its about the timing of leaving the team. Brandon Jensen did the same thing last December for much the same reasoning. Go find the thread about that, I'd bet there wasn't a single person ripping him for quitting. The difference being he didn't storm out of practice, and didn't abandon his teammates 2 days before a game.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I understand the word rational. I understand logic and emotion. I understand that it is pointless to continue to present a position to someone who wants to paint it in terms of the absolute (inaccurately, I might add). So, for those that believe roundball is representing MY arguments when he attempts to pick apart my posts, here you go.

These are MY words:
I believe that if you make a commitment, you should honor it.
If you make a promise, you should keep it.
If you start something, you should finish it.

These are descriptions the work ethic that I believe in, that I try to maintain, that I taught my children, that I want to see from people at work, in my family, in my circle of friends, from society in general. Broken promises and commitments not honored are not ways to build & maintain trust and community.

Here's the part of my words roundball keeps ignoring:

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

So you agree that there are exceptions to your edicts, which again makes me ask why you even mention them? Why spend so much time discussing the standard of conduct you hold for others when:

A) it probably doesn't have any bearing here (the kid was ON the team for four years, so it can hardly be claimed that he didn't try)

B) you have absolutely no idea why he left the team

Why go to such lengths to outline your personal rules regarding quitting when you don't have the slightest bit of information to know whether they apply to Gannon? Do you just like watching yourself type? (with almost 5,800 posts in just 14 months, I may have answered my own question)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I knew some people were pretty close to breaking after the NDSU loss, but I'm pretty sure the last couple pages here have proven that some have lost their minds.
No sugar coating. Lakes over the summer has made us look really bad. Many of the posters are now totally crushed to lose to a completely new staff, few starter FCS team that could barely beat UNI who whooped us. Reality sets in.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

This may be an honest question but is it a serious one?

I don't think many rational people would be piling on Gannon if he quit during the offseason. And NO ONE would say anything about his committment if he went to the NFL last year to make millions of dollars. This issue is about the timing of his decision. Why quit one game in?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

No, it's a stupid question. I'd have the same thing to say about the kid no matter what team he plays for. Personally, I'm excited to see Campos play.

Marcus Fizer, Royce White, et al, made a decision after the season was over, and with the blessings of their coaches, entered the NBA draft. It's expected behavior from someone who is going to be selected in the NBA draft. None of those guys "quit on their team."

Jacob Gannon, if the rumors are true, left the field in the middle of practice during Week 2 of the season. Obviously without the coach's blessing either. It's not even remotely similar.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Poor analogy. They didn't quit mid-season...or two days before a game. If you want to make a comparison, go with Lucca Staiger. I think we both know how people reacted to that departure.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I don't imagine that it is much fun to be a Cyclone right now. This kid has probably given his heart and sole to the program for 5 years. While I don't agree with quitting, I can understand why he would be burned out.

Hopefully we can play better against KSU and get a win. Winning fixes a lot of things.

This is true. The real reason Jacob is gone is he gave the soles of both of his feet to Iowa State for a new Iowa State Hall of Fame being built under the south end zone. His feet are too sore to play the rest of the season.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So you agree that there are exceptions to your edicts, which again makes me ask why you even mention them? Why spend so much time discussing the standard of conduct you hold for others when:

A) it probably doesn't have any bearing here (the kid was ON the team for four years, so it can hardly be claimed that he didn't try)

B) you have absolutely no idea why he left the team

Why go to such lengths to outline your personal rules regarding quitting when you don't have the slightest bit of information to know whether they apply to Gannon? Do you just like watching yourself type? (with almost 5,800 posts in just 14 months, I may have answered my own question)

Timing.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Phillip Bates saga lived on. He was chastised the rest of the season for quitting as our qbs had injury problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron