I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think you overestimate how worked up I am
Nah, this is quite the take from you because I said that Baylor's OOC is trash:
maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't you try to make the point that Utah with a win would be a more logical choice for the playoff because "Baylor's OOC is Trash"?

if that wasn't your point then apologizes. That was what I was responding to... Who gives a **** about OOC when the overall SOS is a much better barometer of the entire season.

full disclosure, I overstated the final sos numbers... Baylor is only 8 spots higher... I thought it was 12... I missremembered

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Nah, this is quite the take from you because I said that Baylor's OOC is trash:

seems perfectly reasonable in the context of the thread.... but whatever...

I'm betting that back in July, if I offered ISU an 11-1 record with a chance at a Big XII Football Championship, but you wouldn't make the CFP and would have to be ok with a berth in the Sugar Bowl, you'd have been fine with that....

as am I for BU

• Friendly
Reactions: khardbored

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
seems perfectly reasonable in the context of the thread.... but whatever...

I'm betting that back in July, if I offered ISU an 11-1 record with a chance at a Big XII Football Championship, but you wouldn't make the CFP and would have to be ok with a berth in the Sugar Bowl, you'd have been fine with that....

as am I for BU
You're weird.

• Funny
Reactions: JusHappy2BeHere

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Utah has been blowing out teams while OU struggled with quite a few down the stretch. And, the P12 has not had a playoff team for a few years. IMO the only way OU gets in is if Utah loses...or MAYBE if OU blows out Baylor and Utah really struggles and pulls out a close win.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
It will probably come down to those two for #4.

Give me you reasons and thoughts as to which will make it.

As Utah is currently ranked higher, I looked at "Sagarin" to see why.
I was shocked.............OU looks dramatically better..............

OU Opponents and Sagarin Rankings:
#15 Baylor
#20 Texas
#22 OkSt
#23 ISU
#24 KState -L
#33 TCU
#50 T-Tech
#53 West V

Crap Wins: #65, #73, #86, #145 (4 Teams)
Half of OU slate is against Top35+ Teams (5-1)

Utah Opponets and Sagarin Rankings:
#19 Wash
#21 USC -L
#39 ASU
#42 WashSt
#45 Cal

Crap Wins: #59, #64, #65, #67, #81, #121, #188 (7 Crap Teams)
Utah vs Top35- (1-1)
Over Half Utah's wins are against Crap.(7)

Wow- I didn't realize how much better OU looks than Utah.

Prove me wrong#
Go State.

Not gonna matter. Oklahoma will beat Baylor by at least two scores. LSU will beat Georgia by 10. Oregon beats Utah in overtime.

OU to playoffs.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Utah has been blowing out teams while OU struggled with quite a few down the stretch. And, the P12 has not had a playoff team for a few years. IMO the only way OU gets in is if Utah loses...or MAYBE if OU blows out Baylor and Utah really struggles and pulls out a close win.

Utah has not beaten a team with over 7 wins all season.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It was the part where I said ISU could be 11-1 in football and play for the Big XII Championship, wasn't it?
It was probably the part where you came here and expected any of us to give Baylor respect given so many things about who that program is and what they stand for.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well how does it work? Last I checked it was a committee full of biased hacks than can likely be bought or persuaded on a whim.

We replace a ranking system that was 2/3 hundreds of voters and 1/3 computer average with a handful of obviously biased guys in a room that change criteria constantly.

Few noticed because going from two to four teams was such an improvement.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
We replace a ranking system that was 2/3 hundreds of voters and 1/3 computer average with a handful of obviously biased guys in a room that change criteria constantly.

Spot on.

The old system wasn't broken in the way that it ranked the teams, it was broken in the way that it was used to only select 2 teams.

Give me 5 automatic bids for conference champions, then 3 at-larges based on highest BCS ranking of non-conference champions for our 8 team playoff.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Someone on here said committee has 3 Pac-12 reps on it vs. 1 Big12.

Correct. Even looking at the Big 12 rep...it's Oklahoma's AD. How in the hell is he supposed to be unbiased with his input? I'm not bashing the guy personally, I'm just saying it's a flawed way of selecting the top 4 teams because people are human and have natural biases.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Utah will get in because the committee is feeling pressure from PAC12 ADs to keep the PAC12 relevant.

You can never discount the corruption factor of 12 guys in a private room making decisions even if the room is no longer a smoke filled one.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Objectively OU should be in over Utah. But the fact is OU has struggled against the good teams they've played, and they lost a game. That gives the committee all of the reasoning they need to do whatever they want with the 4th spot.

The Pac 12 has not been in the playoff for a long time. This is the committee's chance to put them back in. They have a committee for a reason. Why do people on here seem to think this doesn't matter? We need Utah to lose. It's that simple.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
Which is your favorite BU pastime: Covering up rape or covering up murder?
images

• Funny
Reactions: CloneFan4

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Bingo. We should have moved to a 4 team playoff keeping the BCS formula to identify those 4 teams.

I'm also on board with the 8 team playoff with 5 conference champs plus top 3 at large based on the BCS formula. Maybe even use BCS ranking to seed those 8.

The selection committee is bull ****.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS