NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If/when Naz and Nader get minutes this year I wonder if it will be the first year ever where five Cyclones play in an NBA game.

I know Cato/Tinsley/Fizer/Hoiberg all played in the same season once but I can't be sure if any other player did that year. Hornacek had just retired two years before Fizer started. Willoughby's one season of spot minutes was the same year as Hornacek's last year so at least four played that season too.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If/when Naz and Nader get minutes this year I wonder if it will be the first year ever where five Cyclones play in an NBA game.

I know Cato/Tinsley/Fizer/Hoiberg all played in the same season once but I can't be sure if any other player did that year. Hornacek had just retired two years before Fizer started. Willoughby's one season of spot minutes was the same year as Hornacek's last year so at least four played that season too.

Loren Meyer was active 1995-2001. Hornacek was active 1986 - 2000. Cato: 1997 - 2007. Tinsley 2001 - 2013. Hoiberg: 1995: 2005. Fizer: 2000 - 2006. Victor Alexander: 1991 - 1995, 2001 - 2. Jeff Grayer: 1988 - 1998 (with a missed season or two in there).

It looks like ISU may have hit 5 in 1997, depending on what part of the year Grayer was with the Sacramento Kings.

• Informative
Reactions: Rural

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Australia. The Jazz gave him a long term contract two years ago. He’s like LeBron only with 1’ less vertical.

Ingles is a really good shooter/passer and has the same "old many YMCA" style that Georges possesses in his play. They already looked interchangable last night.

When Georges signed with the Jazz my first thought is they could be grooming him as Ingles eventual replacement (Joe is in his 30's already). Good situation for Niang to be in.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Ingles is a really good shooter/passer and has the same "old many YMCA" style that Georges possesses in his play. They already looked interchangable last night.

When Georges signed with the Jazz my first thought is they could be grooming him as Ingles eventual replacement (Joe is in his 30's already). Good situation for Niang to be in.

Wow, that’s a great comparison. Hopefully Ingles will teach Georges everything he knows.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte and the Nuggets have their 2nd game tonight, at home against the Phoenix Suns at 10 ET / 9 CT. No national TV. Monte had a solid first game and it appears that the Nuggets are in no hurry to rush Isaiah Thomas back from his injury:

Their next game on national TV is next Thursday (OCT 25) vs. the Lakers.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte had 13 minutes last night in the Nuggets' home opener vs. Phoenix. His stats were minimal - no pts, 0-3 shooting, 0 assists, 1 TO. Commentators on the Nuggets have been lauding the play of the 2nd unit but the bench in total only scored 10 points out of 119. The starters got them off to a big lead 15 pts or so in the 1st quarter but when the second unit was together in the 2nd, that lead shrank so Monte only played 4 minutes in the first half. So it was a strange game.

The Nuggets are back in action against Golden State tonight (no national TV). Hopefully, MM will have more production than the last game.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The 0-2 OKC Thunder are back in action at 6pm local time against the 0-2 Kings. Nader hasn't made it off the bench and I don't know how much of that could be due to recovering from injury (maybe the knee and wrist aren't 100%) or how much might be a lack of game fitness. Or maybe they're not sold on him yet.

Lawrence George of the Fan Sided site Thunderous Intentions was critical of Billy Donovan's substitutions in the first two games and offered this up, citing two ex-Cyclones:

What happened to Abdel Nader, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot and Deonte Burton? OKC worked hard to create depth on its wings yet none have seen the floor. Nader is touted as Oklahoma City’s best shooter within the organization and TLC is a big, athletic guard with two years of NBA experience. Burton made a lot of noise in Summer League and preseason, showing an uncanny ability to create offense for himself off the dribble. He isn’t afraid of the moment and his play was worth a shot with OKC struggling to score the rock.
(Link: https://thunderousintentions.com/2018/10/20/okc-thunder-5-takeaways-film-fix/)

Let's see if Nader can start to get some minutes; hopefully, he'll produce if he's in there.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Monte had 13 minutes last night in the Nuggets' home opener vs. Phoenix. His stats were minimal - no pts, 0-3 shooting, 0 assists, 1 TO. Commentators on the Nuggets have been lauding the play of the 2nd unit but the bench in total only scored 10 points out of 119. The starters got them off to a big lead 15 pts or so in the 1st quarter but when the second unit was together in the 2nd, that lead shrank so Monte only played 4 minutes in the first half. So it was a strange game.

The Nuggets are back in action against Golden State tonight (no national TV). Hopefully, MM will have more production than the last game.

Still getting freebies on DirecTV although I'm guessing that ends after today.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Sweet assist by Mr. Niang

I'm bummed that I missed Niang getting in. I was flipping back and forth during the first half. Favors must be there for defense, but I think Crowder is out playing him these first 2 games at the 4. The Jazz are deep at the stretch 4.

Looks like Burton got in for 0:55. He is going to play at some point this season, but this means he gets up on the Cyclone's NBA wall!
Still getting freebies on DirecTV although I'm guessing that ends after today.

I think my sports package may include the Altitude network (Alt), which broadcasts the nuggets games. It's somewhere between 670 and 700. I'm hoping it's still there after the free trial is over.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Watching the Jazz to see Niang play. Some good work in the 1st half but this is a pretty high level game for 2nd game of the season. Fun to see Niang in the mix at least a little.

But who the hell is Joe Ingles and where did he come from? Ugly, white and slow and can't miss. Almost wonder if he is Larry Birds secret offspring.

(Ingles is a funny guy)

"I'm the best shooter in the league," Ingles told reporters in the locker room.

A couple days later, he doubled down when a reporter reminded him that he "joked" about being the NBA's best marksman.

"No, I am," Ingles responded. "The numbers I've shot, the percentages, they obviously are what they are and people are going to dissect everything, but I honestly feel like they're all going to go in when I shoot the ball.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/joe-ingles-declares-himself-best-003312156.html

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
According to both ESPN.com and NBA.com, Abdel Nader didn't even dress for tonight's Thunder game. They must not see him as physically ready (just my speculation). Being down a few bodies, there's no one displaced by having him dress so I just have to think it's something physical. He's had wrist and knee issues.

As of now, Burton is dressed but has not entered the game.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Nuggets tweeted Monte's great handles, possibly because they were 3 for 24 from the field against Golden State in the first quarter so there weren't a lot of highlights.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte is getting some good run to close out the half. Good game so far. 49 GSW 47 DEN.

Morris fishes the half with 13 minutes played, 4 pts 4 Rebs 2 Ast and of course 0 TO's.

He's responsible for Steph Curry on D.
Murray had some foul trouble, I see.

I wish Monte would be making his shots at a higher clip. Early in the year, I realize.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron