NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nice clip of Monte finishing in the lane in this clip from Nuggets' training camp. He's really built up his strength from that scrawny 18-year old freshman that came to Ames.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This just in from Salt Lake City:

• Forward Georges Niang is no longer sharing an apartment with his best friend, old college roommate, and current teammate Naz Mitrou-Long.

“You’ve kind of got to grow up,” Niang said. “Me and Naz were roommates for four years at Iowa State. But when you have to break up the brotherly love, the bachelor pad, it’s a sad day. But we’re still real close to each other; I’m right down the street. I shed a tear pulling out my last box from the apartment.”

Link - some good nuggets of info on the Jazz in the article: https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/new-j...jazz_natsocial_twitter_mediadayrecap_20180924

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Longer version here.

200w.webp

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Longer version here.

I think they'll quickly find some benefits of playing him beside Murray in lots of situations. Not completely unlike when he was a freshman with Kane but on the next level.

With Murray especially could be pretty incredible duo I think, with Thomas they'd have to really score because it'd be a liability on D.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
There is some great feedback coming out of the Nuggets' camp on Monte's defense. He always had great hands and quick feet but his slight build at ISU sometimes meant he got pushed around. He's built himself up and he's really pushing Jamal Murray. From Denverstiffs.com yesterday:

Exasperating Murray’s fatigue is his understudy on the team’s second unit: Monte Morris. The undersized, second-year point guard has carved out an identity on the defensive end as an on-ball pest. To hear it from Malone, what Morris lacks in size he makes up for with “tremendous confidence, tremendous grit, and toughness.”

Murray himself has a different comparison for Morris.

“It’s kind of like back at Kentucky whenever I’d go against Tyler (Ulis), he’s always got good hands. Strips the ball, always getting steals and stuff. It kind of reminds me of the same kind of defensive playing style. Always handsy, always trying to strip the ball a lot. You just gotta be ready.”

In other words, Morris’s defensive style is to make himself as much of an annoying and pesky nuisance as he can, staying in his opponent’s face like a gnat. And if “pest” sounds like a derogatory term, it’s one Morris himself embraces. “I just can’t wait to get out there and defend people, pick them up and just be a pest out there 94 feet.”

Through four days of training camp, Morris seems to have executed his plan quite nicely, pushing Murray to adjust to such a frenetic style of pressure and annoyance. “He’s not going to allow teams or players to do whatever they want to do,” says Malone. “One of the reasons (Jamal is) tired is because Monte is making it hard for him. And I think that’s great that Monte understands that’s part of his role to push the guys ahead of them so that they can become better players as well.”

Link (includes some video): https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/9...s-and-his-back-court-running-mate-at-kentucky

That scrawny kid from Flint is going to have an NBA career.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I wish I could've watched Monte against the LeBrakers. Looks like he had a solid effort: 26 minutes (I WISH he'd get that much in the regular season), 4-9 FG, 4-4 FT, 0-1 ASST, 4 ASST, 2 TO (wait, what?), 12 pts and a +30. Pretty good start for Big Game.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges with a 3 in transition - on a dish from Naz - against the Perth Wildcats (that's the team that Jameel McKay won a championship with in his 1st year out of ISU):

Georges with a nice dish to DB Allen:

LoyalFawker

Jul 13, 2016
Kansas City
I wish I could've watched Monte against the LeBrakers. Looks like he had a solid effort: 26 minutes (I WISH he'd get that much in the regular season), 4-9 FG, 4-4 FT, 0-1 ASST, 4 ASST, 2 TO (wait, what?), 12 pts and a +30. Pretty good start for Big Game.
He was the first guard into the game off the bench for the Nuggets. Looked pretty good against the laker 1st/2nd team players. He will play a lot this season imo. Honestly the team looked better with him at point not Murray but what do i know.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Javinegli

Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Part of that is due to Denver's second group being quite a bit better than LA. Also one thing to note, Gary Harris (their starting combo guard) was not a participant in last nights game.
He was the first guard into the game off the bench for the Nuggets. Looked pretty good against the laker 1st/2nd team players. He will play a lot this season imo. Honestly the team looked better with him at point not Murray but what do i know.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The nuggets definitely looked like they will be using Monte in the rotation, or at least they are giving him the chance to prove he belongs there. I thought he looked comfortable and he was playing against the Lakers' rotation players for a majority of the time. He was on Rondo for a long stretch in the 3rd and was on Josh Hart prior to that. It was funny to watch Morris try to set a pick on Lebron though.

It was painful to see Svi get so much love as a shooter from the Lakers knowing how well Thomas played for the summer league team a year ago.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Subscription Site, but the Athletic has a new article about Monte up this morning. Touches on everything already stated here. Been one of the best players to start Nuggets camp, his development and fit on this team, etc.

Great to see him having some success and making a splash early.

Heres the article for those of you who have an account: https://theathletic.com/558584/2018...ing-nuggets-comfort-as-leader-of-second-unit/

Reactions: Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm hoping the moderators will need to remove the "G-League" portion of this thread title as we move into this NBA season. It's crazy that we have 3 guys that will start the season on a roster and then 2 more that will likely be moved up and down a few times.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

He looked much more aggressive than I expected. I don't recall either of the TOs. He was definitely on the attack more than I expected. He was taking it very strong to the rim and it didn't always go so well.

The Nuggs 2nd unit was playing really fast and loose and were a joy to watch, but did have a few bad passes.

I was a little disappointed because Monte was the 4th or 5th guy off the bench in the 1st half, but he was 1st off the bench in the 2nd and got some time with the starters.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I'm hoping the moderators will need to remove the "G-League" portion of this thread title as we move into this NBA season. It's crazy that we have 3 guys that will start the season on a roster and then 2 more that will likely be moved up and down a few times.

Yeah, that would be great for Deonte and Naz; they're limited to 45 days with the big clubs, as I understand. Playing in the G-League for a full year was big for Georges and Monte; I'm hoping it really helps Deonte polish his game.