NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
He looked much more aggressive than I expected. I don't recall either of the TOs. He was definitely on the attack more than I expected. He was taking it very strong to the rim and it didn't always go so well.

The Nuggs 2nd unit was playing really fast and loose and were a joy to watch, but did have a few bad passes.

I was a little disappointed because Monte was the 4th or 5th guy off the bench in the 1st half, but he was 1st off the bench in the 2nd and got some time with the starters.
I hope I get to see him in pre-season a bit. Frankly, I hope that IT takes his time coming back so MM can get some run in the regular season to show his value.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This is from an article tied to a podcast of SB Nation's Denverstiffs.com. Here is their blurb on Monte:

• Monte Morris had the second unit running like a well-oiled machine, and kept the ball moving with quick decision making.
Good stuff on MM but Cyclones fans probably think, "Well, duh". The NBA will learn this year or next about how efficient he is.

Link to article / podcast: https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/1...kers-how-to-score-the-basketball-lebron-james

He was actually playing a lot faster than I remember him playing at Iowa State. It seems like he has another gear when he's not playing 38-40 minutes a game.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
He looked much more aggressive than I expected. I don't recall either of the TOs. He was definitely on the attack more than I expected. He was taking it very strong to the rim and it didn't always go so well.

The Nuggs 2nd unit was playing really fast and loose and were a joy to watch, but did have a few bad passes.

I was a little disappointed because Monte was the 4th or 5th guy off the bench in the 1st half, but he was 1st off the bench in the 2nd and got some time with the starters.

At least if their PG Murry wasn't in the game, Monte was. I don't ever recall him looking uncomfortable and that impressed me. His TO's came late in the 4th when the game turned into more of a pick-up game than NBA game.

I think he'll get some run early in the season since I think IT won't be ready yet. He's probably in the best position of the ISU guys.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Couldn't believe my luck - I got to see the last few minutes of the 3rd and the the whole 4th quarter of the Lakers game today on a flight. I saw his nice floater and some good passing. He really looks like an NBAer this year - fast, aggressive and confident. I'll record the TNT game to watch him tomorrow.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
In the first half of Utah's game tonight against Toronto, 10 guys played in the first half and none was named "Georges." I'm guessing he's outside the rotation to start the season. Let's hope that he finally gets a true chance to play some meaningful minutes this year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte not only is on TNT vs. the Lakers (again) but he STARTED. Murray has a sore ankle or something. Had a sweet assist on the 1st or 2nd possession. Lots of chances to see MM tonight.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Didn't they play the Lakers like 2 days ago?
Yes. I guess they're trying to be efficient while they're in SoCal (their first week of training was in S. Diego). They played at a different venue in the 1st game; this one is at the Staples Center.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Mason Plumlee is getting paid $12 mil a year. He should dominate preseason.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte finished the 2nd preseason game vs. the Lakers with 26 minutes played, 12 pts on 5-for-12 shooting, 2 of 5 from three and 4 assists with 1 TO (4-to-1 ratio; hmmm). Murray was listed as the started and was a late scratch, which got MM an opportunity for more playing time.

I may see the world through cardinal-and-gold glasses but Donald Sloan, a guard whom the Nuggets signed when Thomas got hurt, did not seem as polished as Monte (and, checking the box score, I see he had 5 TOs).

Here's a nice finish on a cut and a dish from Jokic:

Last edited:

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Monte finished the 2nd preseason game vs. the Lakers with 26 minutes played, 12 pts on 5-for-12 shooting, 2 of 5 from three and 4 assists with 1 TO (4-to-1 ratio; hmmm). Murray was listed as the started and was a late scratch, which got MM an opportunity for more playing time.

I may see the world through cardinal-and-gold glasses but Donald Sloan, a guard whom the Nuggets signed when Thomas got hurt, did not seem as polished as Monte (and, checking the box score, I see he had 5 TOs).

Here's a nice finish on a cut and a dish from Jokic:

It appears that the opportunity is Monte's to lose. I view the Sloan signing more of a sign that IT could be further away and they need security in case Monte can't handle the load.

I thought he looked good but not great last night. He missed some opportunities to finish. Most of the Nuggets, besides Jokic, looked a bit off though. It was crazy watching him go against Rondo and Lebron.

Help Support Us

Become a patron