***Official St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Season Thread***

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Shildt must have pissed in Mo’s Cheerios. All Shildt did in his 3 full years was Manager of Year in 19 and playoffs in all 3 years. Mo better get Flaherty & Arenado’s approval on his replacement. If they leave, Mo will have to get real creative real quick.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Shildt must have pissed in Mo’s Cheerios. All Shildt did in his 3 full years was Manager of Year in 19 and playoffs in all 3 years. Mo better get Flaherty & Arenado’s approval on his replacement. If they leave, Mo will have to get real creative real quick.

The word from local reporters is that it’s about Jeff Albert, the hitting coach. Basically anyone pushing back against his philosophy has been booted. Matheny, Budaska, Shildt…

I can’t say I know what Albert’s approach supposedly is. Matheny was fired because he was too “old school” in terms of managing. No data, just gut feelings. So they brought in Shildt.

All I can say is whoever they get next better be really good because Shildt did a fine job.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
The word from local reporters is that it’s about Jeff Albert, the hitting coach. Basically anyone pushing back against his philosophy has been booted. Matheny, Budaska, Shildt…

I can’t say I know what Albert’s approach supposedly is. Matheny was fired because he was too “old school” in terms of managing. No data, just gut feelings. So they brought in Shildt.

All I can say is whoever they get next better be really good because Shildt did a fine job.
Yeah, Albert really held back Tyler O'Neill this year, didn't he? And Edmundo Sosa. And Dylan Carlson.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, Albert really held back Tyler O'Neill this year, didn't he? And Edmundo Sosa. And Dylan Carlson.

Those are positive cases. You also have guys like DeJong and Carpenter who have tanked. You also have guys who have flourished after leaving the organization (Arozerena, Garcia) No idea if that’s their or the hitting coach.

And the offense as a whole was pretty bad through the first half. Was that because Shildt wouldn’t let Albert implement his strategy? Or was that because Albert’s approach wasn’t good? Remember, you had several players outwardly complaining about the offensive approach.

This decision has a long way to play out. My point is that Shildt led the team to the playoffs in 3 years with teams that were only so-so. Injuries were terrible this year. I was ok with the job he was doing. So the next guy better be damn good.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Those are positive cases. You also have guys like DeJong and Carpenter who have tanked. You also have guys who have flourished after leaving the organization (Arozerena, Garcia) No idea if that’s their or the hitting coach.

And the offense as a whole was pretty bad through the first half. Was that because Shildt wouldn’t let Albert implement his strategy? Or was that because Albert’s approach wasn’t good? Remember, you had several players outwardly complaining about the offensive approach.

This decision has a long way to play out. My point is that Shildt led the team to the playoffs in 3 years with teams that were only so-so. Injuries were terrible this year. I was ok with the job he was doing. So the next guy better be damn good.

I have a feeling that Mo started out with shildt knowing for sure he was an interim and had higher (in his mind, anyway) aspirations for the person who he would put in that role. But when shildt over preformed he was kind of forced to hang on to him. Like I said, not based on anything, just a gut feeling.

That said, I thought he was good. Definitely a step up from Matheney. If this backfires, Mo should be shown the door.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have a feeling that Mo started out with shildt knowing for sure he was an interim and had higher (in his mind, anyway) aspirations for the person who he would put in that role. But when shildt over preformed he was kind of forced to hang on to him. Like I said, not based on anything, just a gut feeling.

That said, I thought he was good. Definitely a step up from Matheney. If this backfires, Mo should be shown the door.

Yup. I’m normally a supporter of Mo. but this hire is all on him. If it doesn’t work out, he fired a solid manager to open up a spot. It’s possible Shildt gets hired by SD and goes on to dominate.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
I’d recommend everyone to read this article. Really good read on this whole situation and goes through many of the thoughts fans have pertaining to Shildt’s dismissal.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Personally, I thought Shildt struggled at times managing the pitching staff. He didn’t seem to have a very good feel for how to use the guys in the bullpen. He definitely wasn’t afraid to leave a guy in the game to try and work through his issues. Other than that, I had no issues with him as manager. Guys seemed to like him.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I’d recommend everyone to read this article. Really good read on this whole situation and goes through many of the thoughts fans have pertaining to Shildt’s dismissal.

This answers the question I had. Sounds like the offensive explosion came as a result of Albert’s teaching. If he had the support of the players mentioned, then I understand the decision.

That was a good article. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Kaner04

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

That was a good read.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
official notice

Help Support Us

Become a patron