MLB: ***Official MLB 2014 Regular Season Thread***

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
At least the cold winds blowing tonight almost feel like October and the Cubs wretched season is over. The Good Lord hated the Cubs.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I hate the Cards so much because of that one BS play...
braves-infield-fly-rule.jpg

Infield fly? Please...

You realize that the infield fly rule has absolutely nothing to do with geography, right? The call was still debatable, but not because the infielder was in shallow left field.

People cheating in baseball!? I am shocked...

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is and I hope this rule gets revisited now that there's been so much publicity on it thanks to Pineda. Pine tar improves grip. It doesn't change the ball's aerodynamics in any way, unlike scuffing or cutting. It serves the exact same purpose as rosin, only it's probably more effective.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
You realize that the infield fly rule has absolutely nothing to do with geography, right? The call was still debatable, but not because the infielder was in shallow left field.
I understand the rule completely. That was NOT a routine fly ball for the shortstop. BAD call.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I understand the rule completely. That was NOT a routine fly ball for the shortstop. BAD call.

What's routine for some players isn't routine for others. The shortstop wasn't sprinting to get under that ball, and would have easily caught it had he not inexplicably bailed out. He didn't have to exert an extraordinary effort to get in position to make the play. It could go either way; I don't think it was 100% clear one way or the other, but I think they got it right (and I'm a huge Cubs fan).

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
What's routine for some players isn't routine for others. The shortstop wasn't sprinting to get under that ball, and would have easily caught it had he not inexplicably bailed out. He didn't have to exert an extraordinary effort to get in position to make the play. It could go either way; I don't think it was 100% clear one way or the other, but I think they got it right (and I'm a huge Cubs fan).
I guess we'll agree to disagree. SS never planned on catching that ball, he was waiting to get called off the whole time.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I guess we'll agree to disagree. SS never planned on catching that ball, he was waiting to get called off the whole time.

Yet even as he bailed out, the ball didn't land far behind him. He may have been waiting to be called off (that's only speculation on your part, though), but he could have easily made the play himself, which is all that matters.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
18-7 best record.
They lost both series they've had against teams with a pulse (Atlanta and St. Louis). You wanna be one of the big dogs, you gotta beat the big dogs. They also lost to the Cubs.:spinny:

There are a 162 games in a season. You can't use record as the only criteria when we are 25 games in. My homer opinion is Atlanta is the best in baseball right now. Pitching is head and shoulders above everyone else and riding a 4 game winning streak. Also won the head-to-head series with the Brewers. Braves>Brewers

bkassel

Oct 10, 2011
columbia, mo
www.youtube.com
"When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners"

The umpire did not do that.

As a Braves fan, I am fully aware that play did not cost us the game. Poor hitting and untimely errors hurt us more, no question. But that call was wrong. Easy for Cardinal fans to say it was the 'right' call.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Pretty hilarious

[video=youtube;0b9rOji_PWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b9rOji_PWY[/video]