*** Official Milwaukee Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Fred has nothing to do with this year. That is just an easy scapegoat for people who for some reason hate blaming whomever the current coach is. It is ok to like Prohm and still think he did a bad job building a team for this year.

Lol. David this is bad even for you. Did you forget you’re on CF not hr?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
This is blatantly false, but a common fallacy.

Recruiting transfers to ISU was never easier than last spring. The most transfers available ever, the best ISU brand ever, the most minutes and roles available potentially ever. Market dynamics were favorable, and Prohm completely whiffed. He ended up with a mediocre low major guy and an open spot. We haven’t seen a regression since Fred left, we’ve seen a drastic drop off. Hmm, what changed? That’s right, coaches.

Sorry, it's never been harder. It's a pretty well know fact that Fred started the emphasis on recruiting transfers and filling out rosters to win that way. His scout team one year was purely transfers. Heck, Rothstein just said as much today.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 15h15 hours ago
Nevada is the Triple A version of what Fred Hoiberg built at Iowa State in terms of transfers. The Martin twins, Jordan Caroline shine in win over URI.

Fred started it and other top programs copied his formula. The transfer game is entirely different today. I don't even know if Fred would have success recruiting against the blue bloods for transfers in today's market.

Last edited:

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Fred has nothing to do with this year. That is just an easy scapegoat for people who for some reason hate blaming whomever the current coach is. It is ok to like Prohm and still think he did a bad job building a team for this year.
Yep, Prohm just simply missed out on recruits.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Sorry, it's never been harder. It's a pretty well know fact that Fred started the emphasis on recruiting transfers and filling out rosters to win that way. His scout team one year was purely transfers. Heck, Rothstein just said as much today.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 15h15 hours ago
Nevada is the Triple A version of what Fred Hoiberg built at Iowa State in terms of transfers. The Martin twins, Jordan Caroline shine in win over URI.
False.
Notice he said Nevada. That’s the problem, Prohm can’t recruit transfers as well as a Mountain West team.

It’s easier now to recruit to ISU than when Fred started, and that’s not limited to high school guys. There are more transfers than ever. ISU is known for it, as mentioned by recruits, and had more to sell than 90% of the country.

Some of you act like Fred invented transfers. He didn’t. He and his staff were just better at recruiting them than Prohm and Co.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I agree that Fred didn't get any recruits for this year. Which is true, however, Prohm has known that since he got here. That's my point. As a head coach of the team starting in 2015 it was his responsibility to put a team together for this year. Is it not? He didn't put a good enough team together for this year. Sorry, Fred didn't get players to carry him for 3 years as opposed to 2. But I guarantee you that Prohm would say it is all on him. Not sure why fans won't.

Same stuff happened with McDermott. People loved to blame previous coaches well into his tenure at Iowa State.

You can't just wave away the fact that we had two 100% wasted recruiting classes. Guys from those classes should be the juniors and seniors leading this team right now.

Our success was built around a core of 4-year guys that we plugged transfers into as needed. The problem is, once we had those guys we didn't bother to recruit the next generation that would make up the core. So instead we're now throwing our new core of underclassmen straight into the fire and trying to somehow plug transfers into that mess. I'll give you that Prohm has underwhelmed as far as transfer recruiting goes, but even that would just be trying to patch a foundation that wasn't built to last.

The rebuild was supposed to start last season, regardless of who was coaching this team. Monte and Naz being back postponed it.

All that said, yes last night was so bad that it couldn't reasonably be blamed on any of this. It's hopefully the worst game these guys play all year. This isn't a good team but I don't expect that level of spectacularly awful in every way to be the norm.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
False.
Notice he said Nevada. That’s the problem, Prohm can’t recruit transfers as well as a Mountain West team.

It’s easier now to recruit to ISU than when Fred started, and that’s not limited to high school guys. There are more transfers than ever. ISU is known for it, as mentioned by recruits, and had more to sell than 90% of the country.

Some of you act like Fred invented transfers. He didn’t. He and his staff were just better at recruiting them than Prohm and Co.

You’re like JSb on Hoiberg.

If it upsets you this much maybe you should take up a hobby during the winter so you don’t have to watch.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
False.

I'd actually say its harder now because Otz isn't on staff. Lets not forget Otz got NBA talent here in the absolute darkest age of this program.
My biggest concern was the ability for Prohm to recruit after Otz. No worries now.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
False.

He didn't "invent" transfers, but he was the first to go all-in on attracting as many as possible. There are more transfers, but as I mentioned previously, that doesn't mean there are more high-level transfers. We were getting the cream of the crop. That's not the case anymore.

Who were we competing with when Hoiberg was going after transfers? Who were we competing with this season for transfers? It makes a big difference and is the primary reason we aren't getting the high-level guys we were before.

Last edited:

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Prohm has been pretty bad at getting good grad transfers; hopefully Brase is one we look back on as being a good grad transfer.

He is doing a very good job on the high school recruiting trail. That just probably means we'll have to be patient for a year or two before being where we were. It's going to be frustrating this year, but I can stomach it knowing we'll be much better in the near future.

CardinalCy

Jul 25, 2017
TBH I think we are much like Iowa was last year. They started the season 4-6 and turned it around. Obviously Big 12 play has a lot less cupcakes then the Big Ten. Another comparison is TCU, but IDK what their non-con was like. I hope we get into the NIT this year. Yesterday was a terrible game, but I feel like the guys will grow from it and compete hard this weekend. I think this tournament is very important for the confidence of these players and coaching staff playing three winnable games.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He didn't "invent" transfers, but he was the first to go all-in on attracting as many as possible. There are more transfers, but as I mentioned previously, that doesn't mean there are more high-level transfers. We were getting the cream of the crop. That's not the case anymore.

Who were we competing with when Hoiberg was going after transfers? Who were we competing with this season for transfers? It makes a big difference and is the primary reason we aren't getting the high-level guys we were before.
There are more high level transfers. And there are more good transfers. It’s easier for ISU now, and certainly not so hard we should end up with an open spot and a mediocre SWAC player.

White was sought after by Kentucky. But the fact is recruiting transfers was harder then, which is why Hoiberg’s best skill was getting discounted goods. We were not getting the premium transfers then. He bought low and sold high, which took good evaluation, as well as connections. Getting 2 for 1s instead of wasting spots on a Holden. Getting inefficient but talented MAC players. Getting guys with troubled pasts that many others were afraid to take.

It’s a false narrative that it’s harder now for Prohm. It was so hard for Hoiberg that we rarely got even a visit from the most sought after transfers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cydar and ExCyment

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you aren’t going to be at least objective enough to give credit where it’s due, then you’re not here for discussion.
Credit for what?
I’ve never judged a recruiting class based on rankings. I’ve been clear for awhile that I wasn’t sold on Wigginton, and if you’re of that opinion, you’re not terribly satisfied with that class. No one has ever gotten more good will from a average freshman than Prohm has from Wigginton. As we now see, that class fell far short of being good in the context of adding sufficient talent to avoid being bad.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If you aren’t going to be at least objective enough to give credit where it’s due, then you’re not here for discussion.

Per 247

2017 Recruiting Class was 55th
2018 Recruiting Class we are currently 27th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron