***Official Iowa State Vs Oklahoma State Gameday Thread***

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Did you watch the game? Jesus those players by in large were playing great. I don't think we gave Warren 3 touches in the second half. We left him split out at WR. Clock management was not good. They have a lot to work on.
Oh I agree that for the most part they played great. Even though it was a terribly disappointing loss I am still very optimistic about this team and very pleased overall. I am especially pleased with the huge progress we are seeing, and that comes from coaching.

Look at the tremendous progress that the O-line has made. THAT is coaching. Look at the plays we are running. Coaching as well. Look how our WR screens are getting positive yardage, rather than -5 every single time. Coaching. Our defense is getting out-athleted from time to time, but they aren't simply falling apart. More coaching.

I am not trying to bag on the players as much as I am up on the coaching so far. And when the players learn how to win a game they already have in the bag, it is going to be a lot of fun.

And that is the question - is the inability to finish on the players or the coaches. Or is it a hangover from how much these players were beaten down the last few years.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Learning how to win is the hardest part. There is no way to really teach that concept. Just look at the Cubs. I really would have liked to seen them try a few more runs after getting the lead. I don't know if Warren was hurt but I don't think we tried a single RB run to the middle. OSU eventually figured out that the QB was doing everything and they pinned their ears back and charged up the field.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I do think at some point we have to look at that rule. The defense can't just take forever to substitute causing the offense to need to take timeout. I don't know if that was really the case yesterday but I thought it was getting close to that.

I agree completely. At some point, defensive coaches/coordinators are going to get smart to the fact that they can use this rule against the other team in tight spots like this.

I remember watching an SEC game last season where the offense was running hurry-up but they subbed a WR in for another WR. The ref stood over the ball to allow time to sub while both offense and defense were completely lined up and ready to snap. Then a big defensive lineman came onto a the field in a slow trot all the way across to the far hash, tapped the lineman he was replacing, who was in his 3 point stance like everyone else, on the butt....and that lineman did a slow trot off the field. Ended up burning down the entire play clock and nearly caused a delay of game, which I'm sure was their actual intent.

In this situation, the player that subbed in didn't change the configuration of the offense at all (didn't sub a TE in for a WR, or a RB in for a WR), and the defense didn't change their configuration at all. I'm surprised this rule hasn't been taken advantage of by defenses more yet, but they'll figure it out and the rule will need to be adjusted.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I agree with this but Warren is going to have earn that trust back because he has ball security issues in those situations.
He was averaging 8 yards a carry in the first half. Could make guys miss with speed and power. Let's not give him the ball at all in the second half. Great plan. Part of the process. Trust me the coaches are not without fault.

If he was hurt try Jones back there. He is more dynamic than the other RB options and was I mpressive when he got touches.

Last edited:

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
Where's CW to tell us how Lanning is a complete winner? His play down the stretch against UNI, BU, and OSU has been laughable.

What did Lanning do wrong other than take a sack with 2 seconds left 80 yards from the endzone? Was it the fumble by Epps? Was it 2 crucial drops by Lazard on 3rd down? Was it Jacob "Our Savior" Park throwing 2 INTs into double coverage? Was it him being the leading rusher because Warren couldn't get going? Was it the defense not tackling again?

What else do we want to blame Lanning for? Can I blame him for the sunburn I got after I chose to drive 8 hours down to Stillwater to watch the game in person?