******OFFICIAL IOWA STATE VS KANSAS GAME DAY THREAD******

CYandIareBFFs

Jan 24, 2011
Milwaukee
Please, the negativity needs to be put elsewhere. This is a damn good team and we will be fine. 95% of great teams have a slump. This is still a good team; upcoming schedule and emotional rebound will be the true test as to if they're a great team.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Are you ******* kidding me? The coaches told him to stay on the bench and not move. Why the **** would a coach tell a kid to move and stand on his ankle when he had to be carried off the court and not put weight on it?

I cannot believe some people actually would think this and the coach would be OK with it. GTFO. One of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum and there is a lot of bull on this forum.

Not in the least. I really wish I had a screen shot of him pouting on the bench. If whoever told him to stay sitting on the bench- its alright- but to pout like he did (towel over face during time outs, head in lap, not giving 2 ***** about what is going on in that arena- in his mind he was already on the charter flight and halfway back to Ames) He could have stayed positive, been a leader from the bench, been applauding the effort from his teammates- but no he pouted like a 4 year old!

All I want is for him to stay positive- I don't see anybody else on the team acting the way he does.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That was a thorough beat down. I'm not even mad. ISU didn't deserve to win.

That sums up my feelings too.

We should have lost by 20+ pts IMO. I've never seen such a horrible game from Niang in my life. Actually, nobody had a good game IMO except for possibly Kane and Morris. Hogue gave us at least a chance with some rebounding, but that was about it.

Even the refs were basically on our side. We had WAY more FTs, until maybe the end there when we were forced to foul them. AND, KU just kept turning it over too. Without all the FTs the refs gave us and all the turnovers KU committed, we'd be looking at a 20+ pt loss for sure.

For all of those on here that said that height and size doesn't matter, you're dead wrong. Rebounding again killed us. Embiid owned us all game on both ends. And they also owned us on most of our drives to the hoop too by rejecting everything we threw up. Their size KILLED us.

This game was NOT close. Don't kid yourselves. As the announcers said, the talent gap between us and them is quite staggering. They have 4 or 5 NBA guys on their team to our zero. That's a big difference. It sure would have helped to not be ice cold from 3, but you can't always count on that. Two games in a row now we couldn't hit our 3's and we lost.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Nadir Tharpe: 7-9 (3-4), 6-7 FTs, 6 rebounds.
Georges: 4-20 (0-9), 3-4 FTs, 6 rebounds.

We were going to have to beat KU as a team, but there is no way we are going to beat KU when their 5th best starter has a career night and Georges is not himself.

-The sad thing is, as bad as we played, if we shoot well from the line, we have a chance. 22-34 is not good enough when you have as big as disadvantage as we do.

-As most people recognize, we need on average 15-20 from the trio of MT, Naz, and MM. Tonight we got 10 in a 7 point loss.

-I thought we gave good effort. We easily could have gotten run out of the gym. However, we gave effort like a team that did not think it was going to win, or at least one that did not think they HAD to win.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Am I the only one or is our offense just not in sync anymore - spacing isn't there and we just seem to be forced to take it one on one with 5 or 6 seconds on the clock? Maybe its just the pressure of being ranked so high? I give up.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Am I the only one or is our offense just not in sync anymore - spacing isn't there and we just seem to be forced to take it one on one with 5 or 6 seconds on the clock? Maybe its just the pressure of being ranked so high? I give up.

It was better IMO, when Kane was just "one of the guys". Since the 30 pt Baylor game, Kane has been all over the national media. In the last two games, he's played a little too selfishly IMO. I know that's being harsh and picky, but he's been better when he lets the game come to him IMO and not forcing things so much.

Isu128001

Dec 13, 2013
That sums up my feelings too.

We should have lost by 20+ pts IMO. I've never seen such a horrible game from Niang in my life. Actually, nobody had a good game IMO except for possibly Kane and Morris. Hogue gave us at least a chance with some rebounding, but that was about it.

Even the refs were basically on our side. We had WAY more FTs, until maybe the end there when we were forced to foul them. AND, KU just kept turning it over too. Without all the FTs the refs gave us and all the turnovers KU committed, we'd be looking at a 20+ pt loss for sure.

For all of those on here that said that height and size doesn't matter, you're dead wrong. Rebounding again killed us. Embiid owned us all game on both ends. And they also owned us on most of our drives to the hoop too by rejecting everything we threw up. Their size KILLED us.

This game was NOT close. Don't kid yourselves. As the announcers said, the talent gap between us and them is quite staggering. They have 4 or 5 NBA guys on their team to our zero. That's a big difference. It sure would have helped to not be ice cold from 3, but you can't always count on that. Two games in a row now we couldn't hit our 3's and we lost.

Smartest post of the night. If anything the officials helped is, just look at the ft attempts. They had close to 20 turnovers, not typical for a Self team. They're more talented and starting to play well together. Bout all there is to say

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Not here to gloat or brag. Was just reading and I think you guys are too down on your team. Shots didn't fall, that happens, but your boys hung in there and made Kansas work for it the whole night. Shots will fall again and your upcoming stretch - while tough - isn't something you should be THAT concerned about. Take solace in the fact that everyone has a brutal schedule. You, OSU, KU, KSU, UT, OU, Baylor. You think ANY of those teams are looking at their schedule and thinking "man this is easy for the next two weeks". Its not. Not for anyone.

Teams are going to lose, you are going to win. You guys got to 14-0 for a reason. You played some stiff out of conference competition and got through it unscathed.

Just thought Id try and give you guys some perspective.

Thanks, sometimes it takes an outsider to put things in perspective

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Hopefully McKay can block shots. Kansas is and will probably always be better then us, just the way it is I guess.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It was better IMO, when Kane was just "one of the guys". Since the 30 pt Baylor game, Kane has been all over the national media. In the last two games, he's played a little too selfishly IMO. I know that's being harsh and picky, but he's been better when he lets the game come to him IMO and not forcing things so much.

I don't know if the hype is making him take it too much upon his shoulders, but it certainly looked like he pressured himself too much on the possession down the stretch, the possession following the Thomas 3, when ISU might be best-served to work for another kick-out 3, and he drove and forced it up — even if he went full-throttle to the hoop, that's fine, too, but he went about 75% "all-in" then threw up a prayer in the lane.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Replying to my own post for balance: I don't mean to diminish a ton of killer-instinct by Kane during the 14-0 start — ISU is probably 11-5 without him. Sometimes when you have so much impact, you can burden yourself with take-over mode.

Help Support Us

Become a patron